Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota wiring harness, is this right?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Toyota wiring harness, is this right?

I ordered a Toyota wiring harness to install my driving lights. I installed EXACTLY the way the instructions directed, but it doesn't work. I went back and traced out all the wires, but here in lies the dilema: The directions have you hook up the switch to the cables, the wires to the lights and then to hook up the remaining ends to the + of the battery, and the - to chassis ground. This appears to be a standard 4 contact relay made by Hella. 85 and 86 are for the solenoid. 85 and 30 are the power contacts.

The wires going to the relay pins are as follows:
Green - 87
Black - 85
Yellow - 86
Red - 30

Now the directions have you connect the wires as follows:
Green and Black to the + & - of the lights.
Red to the + of the battery terminal (this wire has an inline fuse holder)
Yellow to one side of the switch.

The harness then also has multiple black wires that are all tied together to a single point and that single black wire is connected to chassis ground.
Two wires go to the firewall and into the drivers compartment. These are Yellow and black. They are preset with clips for the switch. Attach them to the two attachment points.

The Light Switch only had two contacts, not three. Strange thing is the only power to this harness is for the lights. 30 is connected to the HOT side of the battery. 85 is connected to Ground. There is nothing here to make the harness work in the current configuration. I tried to draw the schematic and there is no way this is ever going to light up anything. Does any one have any experience with these wiring harnesses? Do the factory lights have three contacts? Can the supplied lighting harness be adapted to other service

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 02-24-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:07 AM

Still looking for some help on this. Wanted to query those here who have done light installs but the equipment just didn't want to play, thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 08:13 AM

HELP!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judging from this
The wires going to the relay pins are as follows:
Green - 87
Black - 85
Yellow - 86
Red - 30
This should be the correct way:

Red 30 is HOT
Black 85 is ground
Yellow 86 needs to be positive (activation wire for the relay)
Green 87 to the positive side of fog lights

If 85 is ground then 86 needs to be positive which activates the relay and connects 87 to 30, thus supplying power to the fog lights and the negative wires coming off the fogs lights are normally grounded in the front.

Hope it helps

Last edited by iceman601; 02-24-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:14 AM

Thanks Iceman, Your refresher helped me to focus.

Now I think I may have this figured out now. I backtracked the wiring and redrew my schematic. What I found was the switch is like any other switch as far as the connections. What I needed was to have a 12vdc source that the switch can connect to in order for the relay to become active. I literally tore the harness apart to determine where the wires were connecting. I then cut the black wire from the harness that was going to one side of the switch so now it will be used to supply a 12 vdc activation source for the relay. Just need to locate/determine the best source for that 12 VDC.

RED is going to the battery via an inline fuse in the harness, the GREEN is going to the lights with the black from the return of the lights going to the harness ground attached to the chassis. I almost have it wired up but I need to install one of those LED indicators I saw mentioned on here so that I know when the lights may be on. Thanks much for your quick over view, I think I just was having aibt of a time as one of the relays is set up differently (pins) then the other Hella relay I got in my driving lights kit. Will post pics when all done and I did get an auxillary fuse panel installed to helpw ith power for the Hella lights that I am installing as well. THANKS!!