Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota Wiring Harness Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Toyota Wiring Harness Help!

I have tried to find out some information on this but recently purchased a factory wiring harness for fog/aux lights. The harness was designed for factory fogs. The instructions were very limited and only were 3 pages long but were VERY lacking in instructions.

I have mounted a set of driving/fog lights that came off a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am. I followed the directions for the harness and installed everything as described. Routed the harness through the firewall and attached the connection to the supplied Toyota switch which just snaps in place.

Well it doesn't work. Sat down and looked at the relay and the connections again. RE-read the instruction sheet but heck it didn't even tell you to install the fuse in the housing or insert the relay in its harness mount. Tracing the connections out I noted that there is no application of power or connection for power to energize the relay to allow power to be routed to the lights. The instructions show the following wires and connections:

Yellow- Switch
Black-Switch (these two are paired together for the switch mounted in the cab)
Black harness-to chassis ground (used battery post ground point)
Red-Power (connection on positive post)
Green-positive to lights
Black-negative to lights

So as you can see there is no power going to the 85 and 86 contacts of the relay to energize the coil to pick up the 30 and 87 contacts

Instructions show the following harness connections to relay contacts:
30-Red from battery
87-Green for lights
86-Yellow
85-Black

The switch is a Toyota factory switch which only had two tabs and the wiring portion of the harness going to it through the firewall is only two wires, Yellow and black.

So I know the power to the relay is the issue, but how the heck do you get it power? You can't do it via the switch as it doesn't have a tab for it. there is no other wire in the harness to get power to the correct side (30 or 87) to energize the coil. I tried to figure this out as I did get a set of Hella 500's for Christmas so I pulled it out to see what the difference was and the relays are totally different. as is the harness and connections. So if anyone has some experience with this, I would appreciate it very much.

As for the Hella's I am debating on drilling holes in my chrome bumper to mount them. I don't have a bull bar or brush guard to mount the lights to. Suggestions on mounting the hella's? Thanks guys!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 01-02-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have voltage with a multimeter before the sol and after and before the lights??
Old 01-03-2008, 06:21 AM

If you read my post again you will note that I know I don't have power to the solenoid. That was part of the issue. The instructions were pitifully inadequate. And as such I could not figure out how to get power or where to take it from so the solenoid would operate when the interior switch was operated. I was expecting a factory harness to have such information. I was hoping that maybe someone here had done such a mod using a factory manufactured harness which I know would have been a dealer installed option. It came in a sealed Toyota box with Toyota parts and instructions. Installing the harness was simple and a no brainer, pictures showed where it was to be installed and attached but the connection of the harness to make it function, well lets say, it doesn't quite live up to what I have expected from Toyota. As I mentioned, the instructions never tell you how or where to hook up power to make the solenoid operate. I just don't want to hook this up to the wrong power source (flash backs to my mirror install) which results in all sorts of strange electrical problems and electrical circuit gremlin chasing.

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 01-04-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 AM

Anyone have any suggestions or has anyone done this sort of mod? Thanks

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 01-04-2008 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Anyone have any suggestions...
Can you get your money back? If so, I'd send it back and go to radio shack and make my own.

Here's a nice "how to wire a relay" site:
http://www.painlessperformance.com/w.../1098relay.jpg
Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Can you get your money back? If so, I'd send it back and go to radio shack and make my own.

Here's a nice "how to wire a relay" site:
http://www.painlessperformance.com/w.../1098relay.jpg
Unfortunately I can't take them back or send them back as the harness is already installed the ends modified for the new sockets and driving lights. The wiring diagrams are a help, and now I just need to figure out how to incorporate the new power source into the harness and be able to utilize the OEM switch. Thanks again for your help Dale.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Maybe the mods will move this to the electrical section for you, might get better help there. IIRC Toyota uses switched grounding so maybe that will also help with wiring an OEM switch but the guys over on the electrical section will be more help. Roger (4crawler) looks in over there from time to time (he is an EE).
Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Here's some info on switched ground systems from Roger's cheap tricks:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#H4Conversion

EDIT: Pay special attention to the "Note for Daytime Running Lights" if you have those you may have a switched positive system.

Last edited by mt_goat; 01-04-2008 at 07:30 AM.