95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota transmission help desperately required

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota transmission help desperately required

Hey,
Ok heres the deal,
I just replaced the transmission in my truck (1981) with one that was very close in year(1982) I figured that everything would bolt up and fit in there just fine. Go figure it didn't. Anyway The only problem that I am having right now is that the clutch linkage in side the transmission is different on the 82 that I just got done putting in. I had to have a friend help me with it and it was a real pain in the @$$. Needless to say that I really don't want to drop that thing again just to throw in a different clutch linkage setup. The linkage on my old one was just a clutch fork that pushed forward on the inside of the tranny and engaged the clutch. It was pushed by the slave cylinder that just pushed out a little rod. Any help at all would be incredibly appreciated. Let me know what you know. The inside linkage on the new one that just got put in there is different I put my hand inside and I feel some kind of rod in there that has a round end on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what to do. Thank you very much for any help.. links..... suggestions... anything at all.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:08 PM

Pictures

I took some pictures of the inside of the tranny as best I could from the outside while it was installed. If anyone thinks that this will help them please let me know and I'll email them to you. Thanks for the help-Sampson
Old 08-16-2004, 09:45 PM

Don't know how to help you, but www.imageshack.us has free pic hosting. I'd use that instead of going through email.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:02 PM

Heres the image. I have never used imageshack before so I hope this works.
If this looks familiar to anyone please let me know what it reminds you of. Like I said on my last transmission the inside of it looked like a simple one piece clutch fork. I will post a picture of that one shortly. Anyway here is the picture of the new one that I do not know what it came out of.

Last edited by sampson; 08-17-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:25 PM

this is the type of clutch linkage I am used to

this is the type I am used to seeing. Any help or suggestions at all is greatly appreciated
Old 08-17-2004, 01:28 PM

Hey,
Does anyone have a picture of the clutch fork inside a 5 speed transmission. I think that if I saw a picture of that and how it was held in it would help me out a lot. I need a picture of the spirngs and how they are holding it in. Thanks-Sampson
Old 08-17-2004, 06:36 PM

I noticed what it was when I pulled the clutch fork off my old tranny earlier today. I felt dummer than I have ever felt in my life. LOL. I was both relieved when I figured it out and pissed because I didn't realize it earlier and because I absolutely have to drop the tranny again. Thanks for your help alltrac. It is good to know that if I wouldn't have figured it out this morning I could have relied on you. Thanks-Sampson

Does anyone havea pic of how the clutch fork is supposed to go in there with the springs. I have found two ways that it fits in there. I am just not sure which one is the right way. Thanks-Sampson
Old 08-18-2004, 09:08 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
It looks much like my memory of the one in an '85, which I remember because I put it in wrong the first time.... The arm had a little spring clip thingie on the backside of it. The "lump" seen on the arm in the picture sits on top of the "post" seen in your blurry pic above, but the little clip must slip under the mushroomy head of the post to hold it in place. (That's what I messed up, I didn't get it clipped in.) First time the clutch was depressed it went "clink" and after that no clutchie... At least it only took an hour to unbolt the driveshafts, the crossemember, the bellhousing bolts, the shifters, and slide it back 6" so I could fix it. Then another hour to reassemble....