Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Service

Hi everybody, new member here, seems like a great site from what ive seen so far. I'd like to share a story with you guys about my recent experience with Toyota. Last week I bought a 93 4x4 extra cab with 108k miles on the 3.0 V6 from a small "rot lot" dealership here in San Diego. It appeared to be in excellent condition inside and out, and with relatively low miles for a Toyota I bought it without much worry or concern for around blue book retail. After putting only 125 miles on the truck I was driving home from work and it threw a rod about .5 miles from home. Imagine my shock and disappointment, not to mention embarassment in purchasing a vehicle in crap condition. After sulking for a few hours I checked this website and read about the Headgasket campaign through Toyota. I called the # provided on this site and they referred me to the local Toyota dealership to have the truck inspected. The dealership pretty much told me the motor was shot and I needed a new shortblock. The service manager told me he would contact me after getting notice from Toyota wether they would cover repairs or not. After 4 anxiety filled days he called and informed me that Toyota would provide a brand new short block, 2 new heads and the new head gasket for the truck! I also needed a new water pump and he recommended I have the oil pump and knock sensor replaced, which my limited warranty will cover. So all in all i'm going to pay 250$ for 4k worth of repairs. Talk about an awesome company that would step up and stand behind their product with such a large loss to them. BTW this is the 4th Toyota truck i have owned and have never had problems with them in the past. I just wanted to share this experience and show why I am loyal Toyota customer for life.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Toyota never stops impressing me!

I wonder if they will cover the window that just stopped workin on my rig...hmm....?

Thanks for the post man, hopefully we will all have that kind of experience!

Old 07-30-2003, 08:00 PM

did they cover all this under the gasket warrenty? Toyota discontiued that up here in Canada! Lucky you!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Generally speaking the dealers have a bad reputation for customer service, however, the HG campaign is one place they shine.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:59 PM

yes it was covered under the head gasket warranty...
Old 07-31-2003, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

loyota:

Which dealer you go to?
I usually go to Poway and their customer service is top notch!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not care how much we praise Toyota corporate for being consumer friendly; IMHO it is all about the specific dealer. If you do not have a dealer who is not afraid to submit claims, you are SOL. There is a huge gap in the food chain between the engineers that put these cars together and the dealer service departments who have to deal with you and me. Finding intelligent life among all the bureaucratic morass of corporate is a real challenge. JM2C

Have you hugged your service manager today… or taken him a donut?
Old 07-31-2003, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Agreed about the customer service, it's all up the the specific dealer AND the service writer you get. I deal with Burt Toyota out here in Denver and Scott Olsen in Service and I've had nothing but top-notch service. I'd use them more frequently except that they are more expensive than an indepentent shop. Have tried other dealers out here and have had bad experiences each time.

When you do find a good dealer & service writer, make sure you fill out the survey card they send you as they get marks for kudos like that. Oh, and donuts work too!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

I have yet to find a Toyota Dealer in Utah that has a great service department. Mark Miller Toyota will call in claims, but they also try to get me to buy additional services. They don't say that it is "recommended" they act like my rig will explode if I don't have it done. I know that game, because I did it for Firestone, so I don't fall for it.

I have found a great parts department in Utah, Menlove Toyota overnights special orders parts for me. Their prices are pretty good, and since everything on my Celica has to be speical ordered out of California, I use them all the time.

Like Manymods said, its very specific to the dealership, not Toyota Corporate.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:18 PM

yeah I guess I got very lucky with the whole situation..and they did try to get me for a 600$ break job for the fronts only,no thanks!
Old 07-31-2003, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

I hate toyota service. if i didnt have such a strong love for toyotas, i would buy a honda passport (reason later). my 95 wasnt covered under the head gasket recall and i had to pay 2600 for, yes, a blown head gasket.

as for the honda passport .. i drove one at my work the other day, and i barely touched the gas and it just hauled ass!

i wonder if honda makes a passport 4x4..

Last edited by L33T35T 4Runner; 07-31-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All depends on the individual dealer, the one I go to should just pat me down and take my wallet everytime I walk in:pat: they told me I had to have my fuel injectors cleaned at 15k for $169.

It is unreal how some of these places can just take customers money,