Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

toyota diesel conversion finished

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correction - that

Last sentence suppose to say- I love it and want to be sure all is done properly .
Originally Posted by KZN185W
1. the 2L-T engine has some hoses for water. are the hoses complete and no rerouting done?

2. have you checked on the thermostat and is it working? normally it is an 82-degree thermostat. you might like to change it to a 72-degree one or something close.

3. have you checked on the radiator fan? the silicone oil in the clutch may need to be replaced or refilled.

4. have you checked on the radiator that it is not clogged?

5. is the turbo working?

6. the shroud has only a small effect on the engine so that should be for last.

7. lastly, check on the cylinder head. it maybe warped already or cracked.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4runner4ever
What do you want to know about Toyota diesels? I've got most Yota manuals and several pics. I can also make specific pics since several friends drive 2L 2LT's and 3LT's. And I have tons of parts about diesels. And I can probably get the engines for half the price you would pay in the US.
Would love to get contact info from you somehow, I'm dreaming of having a 3.0 diesel in 89 4runner, let me know as soon as you can, thank you
Old 02-01-2016, 04:30 PM

Hey did you have to change the ecu to a diesel or just run the has ecu

[QUOTE=Dieselyota;113208]Well, I have always been in love with the economy and torque of the diesel engine but have never cared for any of the cars that are produced with a diesel in them stock. I learned from www.sr5.net that toyota made a turbo diesel in the light trucks and imported them into the US during the 1980's and continued to produce them all over the world to this day. I did some heavy research and learned that the 2L-T 2446 cc inline 4 cylinder IDI turbo diesel was a direct bolt on to my 1993 4x4 single cab frame. Not only was it bolt on, but the w56 transmission (which is used in the trucks and 4-runners from roughly 1988-1995) has a removable bellhousing which allowed me to get ahold of a diesel bellhousing and bolt it up to my trans. Fortunately I did not have to lenghten or shorten my driveshafts or any drivetrain components whatsoever. The wiring was as easy as hooking up a single wire to my fuel cut solenoid to allow fuel to enter my injection pump and when the key is turned off, the fuel cut solenoid closes stopping the engine. As I am a perfectionist, I got ahold of a fuel filler neck from toyota and even the "diesel only" sticker which accompanies the filler neck. It appears totally stock and everything functions flawlessly. I have had people run up to me at the gas station yelling and screaming that I'm putting diesel into my truck as if I am a moron. Only to see their jaws drop when I pop the hood and show them. The power output I would guess is somewhere in between the 22re and the 3VZE. But the economy is incredible. I'll bet even more so once I regear to a 4:88 ratio. This engine does not even sound like a diesel. I remarkable sounds like a smoother running 22re. If you have any specifics about the swap let me know. I think the hardest part of the entire conversion was making everything appear stock. The actual engine trans swap was easy and required no fab work at all. I bought my engine from a JCM importer called ASAP motors in Houston, TX for $1800 with shipping. The pictures I posted were a few weeks ago when it was just being driveable. Since then I have tweeked the injection pump timing and added an intercooler from a TDI VW. I also have hooked up my glow plugs with the timers and relays and wired them up to where in my instrument cluster the check engine light comes on when the glow plugs cycle and turns off when they are off. Pretty cool huh??[/QUOTE. What did you do to the ecu was it plague and play
Old 02-01-2016, 05:19 PM

Did you have to change the gas Ecu to diesel
Old 02-03-2016, 01:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
different engines will have different ECUs
Old 06-27-2016, 12:41 AM

Does anyone live near west covina that knows how to swap my stock motor into diesel and register it as diesel my stock motor sucks i go 3mph up hills and always have to be in low to pick up speed to 15mph please anyone i need a diesel already
Old 06-27-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't need a diesel swap, you need a mechanic bruh.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:13 PM

I love it!

Originally Posted by 4runner4ever
What do you want to know about Toyota diesels? I've got most Yota manuals and several pics. I can also make specific pics since several friends drive 2L 2LT's and 3LT's. And I have tons of parts about diesels. And I can probably get the engines for half the price you would pay in the US.
I realize this is an older post but did you plan on selling engines to us Yankees? I want a Toyo diesel like crazy! Power, torque and mileage. 30mpg would be nice but i hear the 3LT's are more like 25-28mpg. That would make me happy too! Then anything is better than my 3vz's lack of power and 16mpg.....
Old 06-28-2017, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

That's from an era past unfortunately.
Since diesels pollute more our government has implied heavy taxes. That's years ago so now you hardly see any diesels more. Hiliuxes are a s good as done and Landcruisers are also spread out quit thin.
It's hard to get an engine for a good price, since they are getting rare compared to 10-15 years ago people are asking big prices for them