Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toyota anti freeze

Old 04-14-2004, 01:46 PM
AF1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota anti freeze

Any reason you have to use Toyota red coolant in our trucks?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

the red is the 100,000 mile long-life stuff. green is less, I don't know how much
Old 04-14-2004, 03:09 PM

Color isn't the issue. Whether or not it contains silicates, borates, phosphates, and other *ates is.

Look for something which specifically states that it does not contain the various *ates. While they cool better, they are abrasives and have a tendency to erode water pump seals quickly. Prestone 5/150 and Havoline Extended life are suitable.

Use distilled water in the mix.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by AF1
Any reason you have to use Toyota red coolant in our trucks?
None. Don't confuse this glycol ether fluid with the acid based long lifed coolants.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:16 AM

The current rule out there for coolants is a simple one. Use and continue to use what came in it from the factory.

Those "orange" long life coolants are only true long life coolants if they where the first and only coolant used in that cooling system. They use organic acid tech and the way they benifit your engine is that induce a chemical reaction to the surface of the metals which is kind simular to a protect corrosion layer. Sounds odd I know, but it can not do that if it was not the first stuff in there.

Still to this day I can not understand why anyone would want to use something other then what came in there engine. True the off the shelf green stuff, which is fine for your Toyota is cheaper then the Asian Red Toyota stuff, but how often do you flush your cooling system? I do mine every 30,000 and I just do not see how saving $5 every 30,000 is something to really worry about.

Just use what came in it.

Gadget
Old 04-20-2004, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't have the slightest clue what came in my engine. 25 years is a long time ago! it just says not to use alcohol based coolant in the owner's manual.

however when rebuild time comes around(e.g. when i get a job again) i'll fill her up with some toyota red
Old 04-20-2004, 08:48 AM

Green is what came in your truck. That is the only stuff that used to be available before all this "proprietary" crap came along. Asian Red (Toyota) is compatable with all green systems and is supposed to be a higher quality coolant.

So, is that true, you have not changed your coolant in 25 years???

Gadget
Old 04-20-2004, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Gadget
The current rule out there for coolants is a simple one. Use and continue to use what came in it from the factory.

Those "orange" long life coolants are only true long life coolants if they where the first and only coolant used in that cooling system. They use organic acid tech and the way they benifit your engine is that induce a chemical reaction to the surface of the metals which is kind simular to a protect corrosion layer. Sounds odd I know, but it can not do that if it was not the first stuff in there.

Still to this day I can not understand why anyone would want to use something other then what came in there engine. True the off the shelf green stuff, which is fine for your Toyota is cheaper then the Asian Red Toyota stuff, but how often do you flush your cooling system? I do mine every 30,000 and I just do not see how saving $5 every 30,000 is something to really worry about.

Just use what came in it.

Gadget
i could've sworn i saw a post somewhere that said there was no difference between the red toyota coolant and the high life green stuff... i can't really refute anything though cause i don't know where that post was..
Old 04-20-2004, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by boogyman
i could've sworn i saw a post somewhere that said there was no difference between the red toyota coolant and the high life green stuff... i can't really refute anything though cause i don't know where that post was..
I know in researching it myself, I found there to be no difference. The antifreeze recycling companies I know don't differentiate it. They simply die it the various colors for the various customers, with the base being exactly the same for all of them. I've no doubt Toyota would like you to believe their product is of course special and that you should pay more for it.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:13 AM

It is generally the same stuff. There maybe more or less of certain ingreadiants. One may have less silicats and other bad stuff then the other. Both are however interchangable.

Check the lable for the ingreadients and chemical break down as to how much or what is in its make up.

I know one thing for sure, the Toyota brand Red has a an additive to help make leaks stand out and eaiser to find.

Gadget
Old 04-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Banned

It is generally the same stuff. There maybe more or less of certain ingreadiants. One may have less silicats and other bad stuff then the other.
IIRC, the '04 Owners manual calls for an antifreeze with _no_ silicates.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:36 AM

I can't remember where this came from but it does show major differences.
I always wanted to know if anyone has used red coolant and still had repeat hg problems.

I'd post the chart but it says the file is to large, any smaller and you can't read it.
What to do.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:24 AM

Green is what came in your truck. That is the only stuff that used to be available before all this "proprietary" crap came along. Asian Red (Toyota) is compatable with all green systems and is supposed to be a higher quality coolant.

So, is that true, you have not changed your coolant in 25 years???

Gadget
nahh, i'm not even 25 years old...in fact i've changed it about 3 times in the last 6 months(radiator sprung a leak, then i changed my alternator a month later, filled it up and found the new alt was defective and had to do it again)
Old 04-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Astralplane
I always wanted to know if anyone has used red coolant and still had repeat hg problems.
Yes, that would be interesting to know.

Originally Posted by Astralplane
I'd post the chart but it says the file is to large, any smaller and you can't read it.
What to do.
Maybe try posting half on one post and half on another.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:56 AM

Old 04-20-2004, 11:58 AM

Part 2
Also I shrunk my original, so if anybody knows where the original can be found please let me know.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:23 PM

don't forget, never, ever, EVER use orange dexcool unless it's required for your vehicle. it turns to sludge and blocks your water jackets.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:26 PM
CTB

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
don't forget, never, ever, EVER use orange dexcool unless it's required for your vehicle. it turns to sludge and blocks your water jackets.
Ya, I've seen that GM Dex-Cool stuff do some pretty nasty stuff in the garage I work at during the summer.

To help it's case a little, I think a majority of the problems are from owner neglect. However, I wouldn't ever trust leaving the same anti-freeze in my rig for 100,000 miles without changing it.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Arrrrr....Pass me a bottle of the "RED"
Old 04-24-2004, 11:08 AM

Another antifreeze option

It is generally the same stuff. There maybe more or less of certain ingreadiants. One may have less silicats and other bad stuff then the other. Both are however interchangable.

Check the lable for the ingreadients and chemical break down as to how much or what is in its make up.

I know one thing for sure, the Toyota brand Red has a an additive to help make leaks stand out and eaiser to find.

Gadget
This non aqueous propylene glycol stuff from Evans may also be a possibility expensive though. Makes for interesting reading.

http://www.evanscooling.com/html/npgPls.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota anti freeze