Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Towing a 1985 Toyota! Driveshaft Disconnect??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing a 1985 Toyota! Driveshaft Disconnect??

I might be purchasing a 1985 Toyota SR5 long bed truck from out of town, and I can get two types of uhaul trailers:

1) The kind where the entire vehicle is on the trailer ($309)
2) The kind where just the front wheels are on the trailer ($154)

I would like to use the cheaper one, but they recommend that I disconnect the driveshaft.

How much of a pain in the butt is it to disconnect the driveshaft? What tools do I need to do it? Is it really necessary?

Thanks for the help,

Chris
Old 07-03-2003, 07:34 AM

Also, I would be okay pulling this thing with my 97 4Runner stock, right?

Chris
Old 07-03-2003, 07:47 AM

Is it a manual tranny or auto in the '85? If it is a manual, no problem. You can tow it without disconnecting the driveshaft. I think that for an auto, that is a concern. I believe that you just need (2) 13mm or 14mm box end wrenches to unbolt the shaft flange from the pinion flange.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:50 AM

It's a 5 speed manual tranny. Are you for sure that I won't need to disconnect the driveshaft, because that would make things so much easier?

Chris

P.S. If I still do need to, can you explain what you just said I needed to do in more plain english. I'm not clear!
Old 07-03-2003, 07:50 AM

check your local laws... I know in NY, you are supposed to tow vehicles with all 4 wheels off the ground. Not sure that law really gets enforced much, but...
Old 07-03-2003, 07:52 AM

Disconnecting the driveshaft is simple - it's just four bolts on the tranny, and four bolts on the differential. Mark the shaft and flanges so you can get them back to the original alignment when you go to reconnect it.

However, I wouldn't recommend towing it with the rear wheels on the ground even with the driveshaft disconnected. For short distances, it's OK...

Personally, I would get the flatbed trailer. If you can afford a second vehicle, you can afford to tow it home properly.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:54 AM

Phong,

Why is it bad to tow it with the rear wheels on the ground even with the driveshaft disconnected?

Chris
Old 07-03-2003, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you want a bit of a project, you could convert the rear axle to full-floating and unlock all 4 hubs. front range offroad makes one for $749. although it may look pricey, it will make up it's cost on the trail
Old 07-03-2003, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

yup, tie the steering wheel (i use the seatbelt) and drag it on the front wheels. sure a flatbed would be better, but a dolly will work fine, i use my buddy's dolly all the time. btw on a front wheel drive car, drag the rear tires (duh).
Old 07-03-2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by ravencr
Phong,

Why is it bad to tow it with the rear wheels on the ground even with the driveshaft disconnected?

Chris
Because even with the driveshaft disconnected, the axleshafts are still spinning, along with your differential... and kind of defeats the whole purpose. It also wears your ring/pinion gears abnormally since the axles are now driving the pinion, instead of the other way around. If you had manual hubs on the rear axle (i.e. full-floater), you could disconnect them and essentially disconnect the hub from the axles.

If it has front manual hubs, you could disconnect them and tow with the front wheels on the ground. Make sure your steering wheel is locked or it'll be quite a ride home.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:46 AM

If its a stick, pop it in neutral, unlock the hubs and tow it. Get a good tow bar that bolts to the front end and some magnetic tow lights for the roof... you'll be golden!
Old 07-03-2003, 09:54 AM

Does it matter that I'll be towing it for 725 miles? It sounds like I unlock the front hubs, lock the steergin wheel, and I'll be good to go, right?

Chris
Old 07-03-2003, 05:38 PM

I really doubt that Uhaul will rent you a car carrier to tow a 4Runner with another 4Runner. The one doing the towing is to light to control the towed vehicle properly. Then you have to worry about having enough power.

Check your owner's manual to see if you can tow that much weight, I doubt you can. Still, Uhaul probably will not rent you the trailer for it.

I had that problem the last time I tried to rent a car carrier to tow my 96 4Runner with my F-150 4x4 with a real tow package. Their charts says it is not heavy enough to tow it safely. I had to go see my friend at another Uhaul place accross town to get hooked up.

If you end up doing this be real careful. I think you will find that combination super squirly to say the least.

You might need to rent one of thier box truck to use as a tow vehicle.

If you end up using a tow dolly where it just lifts the front tires, you really should pull the rear drive shaft no matter what tranny you have for that kind of distance.

Oh, and one more thing. The vehicle being towed must have valid registration, tags and insurance unless you lift all the wheels off the road with one of those car trailers where the whole car goes onto it.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-03-2003, 06:15 PM

Yeah, I did the equipment rental thing online, andit said exactly what you just said. I don't know what to do, because I'll be picking up both on the same trip home. I'll have to talk further with the uhaul company, I guess. Either way, I'd like to tow on the front wheels as other mentioned. Would this work in your opinion, Gadget if I had to?

Chris
Old 07-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

why don't you "drive" it home?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:16 PM

Steve,

I'm already picking up another 4Runner in MA, so I would have to trailer this one home too on the same trip. Just before I might pick up this 85 truck, I'm going to get my VB upgrade from IPT in Wood Ridge, NJ. I'm excited about the trip, and I'm still not sure what route to go, and even if it's going to be an option with Uhaul, from what Gadget said!

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 06:49 PM

Well here's what I figure at this point, and tell me if this is cool. I'm going to lie about the vehicle I'm towing, so they won't question the worthiness of the 4runner to accomplish it.

I'm going to put the rear wheels on the tow dolly and lock the steering wheel, unlock the hubs, and drive home.

Sound okay to everyone?

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 07:13 PM

No.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-06-2003, 08:03 PM

No explanation at all??? Someone else said this would be fine earlier if I'm not mistaken.

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

I would just get a freind or family member to drive the 85 back

Quick Reply: Towing a 1985 Toyota! Driveshaft Disconnect??