11.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Tow straps

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow straps

Give me your opinions on tow straps. What are the pros and cons of loop ends vs. hook ends. I need to buy a new strap and wonder if anyone has strong feelings either way. I can't seem to make up my mind. I do not have any shackles on my truck, by the way.

Last edited by tomus1000; 04-16-2003 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:11 PM

If a strap breaks with a loop end, there's no risk of injury. The straps with hooks can become deadly projectiles. The hook ends are designed for towing, not a recovery strap for a stuck vehicle.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:12 PM

Hook ends are "tow" straps, loop ends are "snatch" straps. Never use a strap with hooks for recovery.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:46 PM

Both.

Use the one w/hooks for light vehicles and such and for towing, but never for a vehicle that's stuck bad or the hooks could become a weapon. This is good if someone is just a little stuck and could use a pull/push to get the tires back on the ground or whatever. The ones with hooks, in this case, are fast & easy to use and they normally only need to be moved a meter or two. It's also good if they don't have D-ring shackles or open tow hooks. I've pulled a few stuck cars out of deep snow and they only weigh about 3000 lbs. at most. A recovery strap would have been useless as these cars don't come w/open tow hooks.

Recovery strap for the obvious: serious recovery. If they are "seriously" stuck, they should have thought they may get in that position and have open tow hooks or D-ring shackles. If not, they should have thought ahead...

I bring a tow strap (hooks), recovery strap (no hook) and spare D-ring shackle for those who have nothing but frame holes.

Last edited by HBoss; 04-16-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:09 AM
CTB

When you guys use recovery straps with loops at the end, and the vehicle doesn't have a "tow hook" on the front or back, how do you connect it to the stuck vehicle? Basically, I'm asking if you make some sort of slip knot, or what? Just curious. Thanks-

CTB
Old 04-17-2003, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting one with loop ends soon. Definitely before EC4RJ. It will make a nice addition to my winchless, open diffed, AT tire wonder.

Last edited by Cebby; 04-17-2003 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

I vote no hooks. Unless like the others said it is strictly for short towing and not recovery snatching.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by CTB
When you guys use recovery straps with loops at the end, and the vehicle doesn't have a "tow hook" on the front or back, how do you connect it to the stuck vehicle? Basically, I'm asking if you make some sort of slip knot, or what? Just curious. Thanks-

CTB
Slip one end through the other to form a loop, do this around the frame, axle housing, etc...
Old 04-17-2003, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by CTB

CTB
You don't go wheeling with guys who don't have tow hooks on the front and back. If you do, let the guy without the tow hooks hook up his own end. That way when you pull his bumper off or bend his his tie rod, it's not your fault.

If it's you without tow hooks, get some! They are cheap and easy to install.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by upndair
You don't go wheeling with guys who don't have tow hooks on the front and back. If you do, let the guy without the tow hooks hook up his own end.
That's actually a really good idea. In all honesty I didnt think of that. I was always the first guy to do all the hooking up.

I think its time for me to get some non-hooked recovery straps!
Old 04-17-2003, 06:28 AM
CTB

You don't go wheeling with guys who don't have tow hooks on the front and back. If you do, let the guy without the tow hooks hook up his own end. That way when you pull his bumper off or bend his his tie rod, it's not your fault.

If it's you without tow hooks, get some! They are cheap and easy to install.
I do have tow hooks, but I just wanted to be sure I was doing it the safe way!
Old 04-17-2003, 06:29 AM

If you do, let the guy without the tow hooks hook up his own end.
...and then doublecheck his work to make sure he didn't do anything stupid. I pulled a Dodge back onto the trail a few years ago and had the guy hook himself up, he put the strap around his tie rod. I advised him that if I pulled from there he would get back on the road but wouldn't be going anywhere. He very willingly sacrificed his flimsy bumper instead.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:30 AM
CTB

Originally posted by Shane
Slip one end through the other to form a loop, do this around the frame, axle housing, etc...
Exactly what I thought. Thanks Shane-
Old 04-17-2003, 06:37 AM
CTB

Alright, now a question about tow hooks...

I just have the single factory tow hook in the front, and nothing in the rear (except for the factory hitch). Should I try installing another hook on the front, as well as one or two on the back, or should my current setup be sufficient?

If so, where should I look to purchase the hooks, and where should they be mounted? I haven't looked to see if there are any good stock mounting locations yet, sorry. Thanks for the info fellas-

CTB
Old 04-17-2003, 06:57 AM

There are a couple of small holes in the back that you could put a shackle through, or the big hoops under the rad.

Rear Passenger

Rear Driver (above exhaust pipe - sorry bad pic)

Front Passenger

Front Driver
Old 04-17-2003, 07:16 AM
CTB

Hey Cebby,

So, you think a shackle would work in that hole in the "rear passenger" picture you posted about? Do you think it would matter if the shackle had any play in it, or would the center shaft of the shackle need to fit through that hole really tightly? (haha, really sorry if that sounds like sexual innuendo, not meant to )
Old 04-17-2003, 07:26 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by CTB
Alright, now a question about tow hooks...

I just have the single factory tow hook in the front, and nothing in the rear (except for the factory hitch). Should I try installing another hook on the front, as well as one or two on the back, or should my current setup be sufficient?

If so, where should I look to purchase the hooks, and where should they be mounted? I haven't looked to see if there are any good stock mounting locations yet, sorry. Thanks for the info fellas-

CTB
Cody, here is a solution for the front, but it's not cheap, but think of the added protection it will give you.

It looks by Cebby's last two pics you could use a D ring shackle on the front where those holes are, but I am not sure of the strength of the mounting brackets.
You certainly don't want a shackle to break at that mounting point and end up becoming a deadly projectile.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:44 AM

The front holes are a separate bolt-on piece. They bolt into the frame with a 1/2" equivalent bolt. This is also how the factory tow hook is on also though.

The rear tabs are welded on. Not sure of the hole size in the back, I'm in a suit and don't want to roll around on the ground to measure it.

The way that plate hangs down in the back, there is probably a chance it might bend if the tugging gets violent, although is is about 1/4" thick, runs up the side of the frame rail and has a nice bead holding it on. I think the shackle "should" be snug, but it probably isn't critical. I doubt there is possibility that it would break.

I'm ordering some shackels soon. If that hole is too big, I'm going to weld an insert into it to beef it up cause I want to leave my shackle on (without rattling)

Now that it's nice out, I can finally break out the

CTB, if it's too loose, they have pills for that now...
Old 04-17-2003, 08:00 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Cebby, if you want some shackles that will stay nice and not need paint, check out "Off Road Only" in the Vendor section.

They have nice stainless steel ones that are not much more than a standard one.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by Corey
They have nice stainless steel ones that are not much more than a standard one.
All Pro has imports for $10 and US made for $15. The Stainless are $35. I need a little more yellow under my truck anyway.

Corey, how often do you need to paint your shackles?

Quick Reply: Tow straps