Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Totaled My 4Runner...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totaled My 4Runner...

Well today was officially the worst day of my life.

Driving 40-50MPH i swerved to avoid a deer on a backroad, and ended up driving into a ditch and flipping several times before sliding 100yards at the begining of a giant ravine. nobody was around and my phone got thrown from my car so after a minute of releasing myself from the upside down Runner, and another 5minutes of waiting for a car to come, the cops and stuff came and now its sitting in my backyard, tarped. If my seatbelt hadnt have been on, i would be ICU/Dead, but thankfully all i have is a fat seatbelt bruise.

Anyways, the roof is smashed in, windows gone, my sub and amp got turned into projectiles, the right side of the car looks like it got vacum packed and the left isnt much better. Interior is still good, and theres not a dent above the front blinkers and along the whole front panels, Motor looks just like it did pre-wreck and im expecting it should still be in working order.

The tires and suspenion look alright (it was dark and snowing and i was brushing glass out of my eyes) and the frame seems straight. It rolled on and off the towtruck with no problem. So when the sun rises i will post some pics, asses the damage and decide what im going to do. Im only 16 and every cent of my money was into this thing, so now im broke and carless.

If any YotaGuru's around the Snohomish/Everett/Millcreek WASHINGTON area would like to help me out by helping me asses the damage please leave me a message, all help will be appriciated.

Last edited by NwRunner; 04-23-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 PM

Sorry to hear about this man. I remember when i had a minor accident and it tore me up just thinking about what happened. Keep your head up, it could have been much worse.

Last edited by TOY89; 03-28-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
very sry to here that, thank god for seat belts and those smart enough to wear them. thats why i dont swerve for deer i would rather smash my truck than roll it. glad to hear that u are alright.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 PM

haha, yeah thats what i always thought to, but it was a lot different when i was staring this thing in the face and barreling down on it at 40mph.

And i also just found out that insurance wont cover anything but the towing bill. Time to bust out the ol bicycle...
Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 PM

man, crappy deal. Why wont the insurance cover anything?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 PM

because my parents didnt get extended coverage on my car, so it only covers if i crashed into someone else to fix their car.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 PM

Liability sucks balls.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:10 AM

that sucks man, horribly, i felt pretty sad and depressed for some time when i crashed one of my cars. but ya learn to make due with what ya got.. next time ya should just hit that deer head on.. swerving always makes worse.. but on the bright side it sounds like one hell of an excuse to turn your runner into a 4x4 machine, or rock crawler..
Old 03-29-2008, 12:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chop the top and go wheeling!
Old 03-29-2008, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
You're here and you're whole so you've come out of this with all the irreplaceables. Everything else, whether it feels like it or not, is gravy. I'm sure you're more than aware of that!

A couple of young guys died yesterday when their pickup dropped off the side of the road, over corrected into oncoming traffic and hit a car. The driver of the car wore his seatbelt and is ok, the kids were not wearing theirs.

And what's not to like about bike riding?
Old 03-29-2008, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alot of us learn this lesson the hard way. my boss lost a friend this way. he hit his head on the window and never woke up. i took out a telephone pole and almost died cause i swerved to miss a dog. u learn that your life is worth so much more than an animals. glad to here you weren't hurt. it could have been worse. but look at it this way: chop the top, cut the fenders, fit some bigger meats and a arb bumper and go deer hunting with it.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:03 AM

Bad luck man. Any car above $3500 or so should have full coverage on it. And I hope you learned to NEVER swerve for animals in your path, I know it sounds harsh as they didn't ask for roads in their backyard but the result usually ends up animals 1, cars 0. Definitely post some pics, there have been some pretty bad 4Runner crashes that people have walked away from. Good to hear you walked away relatively uninjured.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude 2 deerrs hit me in my old daily driver wich is now my trail rig.... i somehow kept the car runner straight.... it dented my door and quater thats it but it almost made me loose it in my pants.. 4runners are safe vehicles and hope you heal and get it all worked out...
Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Hate to hear your troubles... And I know it instinct to NOT hit something. But from growing up in Western Montana I've seen many deer vs car wrecks. Rule number one is to never swerve to try to miss it. Stay straight, apply brakes if you can and blow the horn. Deer can freeze up on the road and the horn can shock them out of it. Their reaction time is faster then ours. Let them move out of the way. In MT, many country roads are just dirt roads with ditches that are pretty uneven. There will be a higher chance of more damage if hitting one of those then any deer. I know it's too late to tell you any of this as you already know. But I hope someone else can learn from it. A tree or a rock is much harder then any deer.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel bad for you man. When the pictures come up, maybe you can assess the situation.

Worse case senario, insurance doesn't cover anything, then buy a cheap blown 2nd gen, swap the engines, and part out all your goodies on here to make up the costs. Can't be too hard.

Or part out everything and just get a new ride.
Good thing its paid off (im guessing).

We don't have deer around here and the last time I saw a deer was about 3 years ago haha.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Heres a few of the passenger side, just to get an idea.

the firemen chopped my battery wires off, so i cant hook it up and see the motor stilll works

more later
Old 03-29-2008, 11:44 AM

Bad Deal.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hook it up, pull the plugs, see if it runs, call a body shop and see how much it would cost to make it a convertable something. Then turn it into a hardcore trail rig!

Sorry for your loss buddy..
Old 03-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
next time
say screw the deer
the worst thatll happen is i messed up bumper and a radiator
but
sorry bout the news
i totalled my 86 pickup
then found out it didnt have full coverage
needless to say my new 91 has full coverage
Old 03-29-2008, 01:04 PM

next time hit the deer and get the back straps, wrap them in bacon and grill them up... tasty

oh, that sucks btw, but atleast your alive... ive been in two 4runners during roll overs, they arent fun at all are they.

was everything in slow motion for you while it was happening? thats what it felt like for me

Quick Reply: Totaled My 4Runner...