Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Took some junk off of my 4Runner during Christmas time (PICS)

Old 01-08-2005, 11:25 AM
AUJWE

Took some junk off of my 4Runner during Christmas time (PICS)

While I was home for Thanksgiving I removed my K&N FIPK and throttle body spacer from my engine. I opted for the deck plate mod in their place and I have no regrets at all. I honestly can not feel a loss of power and the reduction in noise is a plus. All of it was sold on eBay.

Then, when I was home for Christmas I removed my Manik brush guard, Manik nerf bars, and WAAG rear bumper guard. I was tired of the brush guard shaking and I basically was tired of looking at all of it. Also, the brush guard made it a PITA to clean the front of my truck. The running boards went back on and the PIAAs are on the bumper (thanks for the help Brian). I will sell the stuff sometime later and I plan to put a TJM T-17 on my truck then.

I know this isn't the route that most folks might chose but in my mind it was time for a change. Anyway, enjoy the pics and give me some good feedback. BTW, in the newest photos I had just used Griot's garage polish and wax on my truck with the PC buffer, good stuff!

Then:

And here it was by a real 4Runner. Sorry about the poor quality as it was dark out.

And now:

What do you folks think?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like it, looks cleaner.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:54 AM
AUJWE

Thanks. I think so too.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good, mine went through the same process....no more grill guard for me.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:01 PM
AUJWE

Yeah, I have two small dents in the chrome part of my bumper and a dent behind each corner light. I bumped into the back of someone going about 5 MPH and it caused that. After that I said no more.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks alot better. I used to like the look of the brush gaurds but the TMJ and ARB bumpers look much better. Now take that hood cover off and put one on like the red one has.

Last edited by Paul H.; 01-08-2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:25 PM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Now take that hood cover off and put one on like the red one has.
I only use that, and the mirror ones, on long road trips. When I took those pictures I was about to make a 3+ hour interstate drive. I like being able to remove it, versus the one like Ol' Red has.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:37 PM

Too bad you didn't figure out you liked the stock look better before you bought all that stuff!!
Maybe its just me, but I think it looks a lot better with the brush guard and nerf bars on it. There are just so many stock 4runners these days that its nice to see one rigged out every now and then.
Good looking 4runner either way, very clean!!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice, and CLEAN!
Old 01-08-2005, 06:59 PM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by tarheelrunner
Too bad you didn't figure out you liked the stock look better before you bought all that stuff!!
Maybe its just me, but I think it looks a lot better with the brush guard and nerf bars on it. There are just so many stock 4runners these days that its nice to see one rigged out every now and then.
Good looking 4runner either way, very clean!!
Thanks. All the stuff is in storage. If I change my mind again, which is possible, I could put it back on in no time. But, I plan to put a real bumper on it before too long. I see lots of stock 4Runners where I live and lots of ones with brush guards. They all look good to me.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:02 PM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by Jason B
Nice, and CLEAN!
Yep. I'm a clean freak like you, just don't own as many Meguiar's products as you do. So, having all that junk off will make it easier to keep the truck looking nice.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:04 PM
AUJWE

Oh yeah. I forgot to add that something else got changed while I was home for Christmas, my brakes! I went with regular Brembo rotors and Hawk Street pads. It is a great combination so far.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Is that your house?
If so, holy crap!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

"ya can't dress trashy till ya spend alot of money." Billy Joel
Old 01-09-2005, 10:56 AM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by Scofco
Is that your house?
If so, holy crap!
It is my parent's house. I can't take credit for that one. The one in the second photo is their old one and the last few pictures is their new one. Get both kids out of the house and they build a bigger one.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:56 AM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by uboatcmndr
"ya can't dress trashy till ya spend alot of money." Billy Joel
Sounds like the route I'm taking.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:00 AM

I just took off my brush guard on my pickup a couple days ago and I also mounted my aux lights on my front bumper, I like the look better
Old 01-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

I think brushguards on trucks with 20" wheels looks just dumb and it gets worse with taillight guards but I guess you can't have enough protection from shopping carts. I see so many blinged out Denalis and Escalades around here with brushguards on them it makes me sick and don't even get me started on H2s with oversize wheels,we can thank Rap/Hip-Hop stars for that one.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, looks nice and clean. Tha't what I shoot for on my own truck.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:42 AM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by forum95
I just took off my brush guard on my pickup a couple days ago and I also mounted my aux lights on my front bumper, I like the look better
Welcome to the club. I just wish that I would have joined sooner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Took some junk off of my 4Runner during Christmas time (PICS)