Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Too close for comfort to wrecking 3 slow head....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too close for comfort to wrecking 3 slow head....

Due to some hesitation and general lack of performance (more than the fact that it has a 3 slow ) , I decided to replace plugs, wires, rotor arm and dist cap as I have 170k on my 93 SR5 runner.

I get a company discount at the stealer so I got all the above genuine Toyota parts and Bosch plugs for under $100 including tax which aint bad.....

... started after work last night all was goin real well till I started on the #5 side. Other than being a bear to get at and required long extensions laced between the harness, all the plugs were very tight. I got them all out and found plug gaps at almost 120 thousands I could almost get my entire gapping tool throught the gap. It is fair to say they have not been touched for a while.

First problem was I tired to put the new plug into #1 and it fell out of the plug wrench It then disappeared somewhere behind the header/cross over pipe....where it still resides now I never did find it even after a good 30 mins of contortions so I guess it is wedged in pretty good somewhere completely out of site.

Decided to pop the rest in and horror of horrors, I could not get new plug to start in #5. Long story short, It looked very like the thread had stripped..
major nightmare ..totally bummed and had visions of the truck heading out on a roll back to the machine shop for a helicoil.

After about 30 mins more of cursing and trying, I decided to run by the store for a helicoil kit although I really did not want to take it on in situ and found a tread chaser for spark plug threads. Picked up a new plug (remember, one still hiding in the headers ) and put plenty of oil on the thread chaser and ran it down and back, just like cutting a new thread.

Not xpecting too much as the plug went in by hand tightening , I decided to try and tighten it up and it bit A little more wrenching and sure enough, it torqued down nicely....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

At this point my awesome GF showed up with a beer so I said lets road test it and then drink.

The difference in performance is night and day Cannot believe how much better the pick up is and how hard it pulls in 4th. Anyway, the moral is, don't run plugs with completly used up electrodes. I will post pics later but they are scary...little or no electrode left !!!

Had my beer at midnight when I was finally done

Also, on older vehices, you should always have a thread chaser on hand as I was close to really stripping the thread in frustration... mine cost $5 an I picked it up a 9.45 an night - thanks Autozone.

Now onto the fuel filter...I have been running injector cleaner for half a tank so hopefully,that will start to pay off.

Relieved and stoked,

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 10-08-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Glad you got it. I was going to return your call this am, but a good friend with a tuner Civic forgot to install his inner fender after paint and sucked in some water through his cold air intake....Long story short I just got home from renting a dolly and towing his ride to our buddies shop.

Let me know if you need some help. I will be free all day tomorrow. Gotta take my mom out for her b-day tonight
Old 10-08-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
Glad you got it. I was going to return your call this am, but a good friend with a tuner Civic forgot to install his inner fender after paint and sucked in some water through his cold air intake....Long story short I just got home from renting a dolly and towing his ride to our buddies shop.

Let me know if you need some help. I will be free all day tomorrow. Gotta take my mom out for her b-day tonight
Its all good bro...

..once my GF arrived and I calmed down, it was really not too bad...its just the thought of having an expensive helicoil was freakin me out.

Runs really well now.

David
Old 10-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

I had to do a helicoil.
Dear lord!
Old 10-10-2005, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Scofco
I had to do a helicoil.
Dear lord!
Did you do it yourself ? I hear it can be done in situ but never seen it...how about you ?

David
Old 10-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

I didn't have a clue as to how to do it.
Had the dealer do it.