Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TJM vs. ARB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TJM vs. ARB?

Any benefits to one or the other? Or is it just a personal preference?

Seems most people have the TJM T17... anybody sporting the ARB bull bar bumper?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=tjm+vs+arb
Old 02-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

do a search.

there's a lot of information on this very subject. then, if anything is still unclear, ask away.

i was in your situation a few months back. i went with a tjm-15.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TJM has a larger state-side inventory so you can get a T-15 for a 3rd gen usually less than 10 days after you order it. I decided to go with an ARB Sahara Bar (even though it is an 8-week wait) for looks and the fact that it's Air Bag compatable. Besides, I liked the look. It comes with built in fogs and I like the center hoop and unrestricted (but unfortunately unprotected) headlights. They're expensive, but by the time I got a T-15 or and ARB Bull Bar, then had a fab shop do some cutting to fit some fogs (plus pay for a good set of fogs), then I'd end up paying about the same as what I paid for the Sahara Bar ($1070 shipped BTW) A T-17 is about $450, a T-15/ARB Bull Bar is about $700 depending on where you get it.

Good luck.

Here's what the ARB sahara Bar looks like...

Old 02-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Bamachem, I like that look. Who did you order that through? It is the perfect solution for me since I don't want to lose the fog lamps and I don't really like the hoops in front of the headlamps.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

I wish ARB would make the sahara minus the hoop. I really like the look of that bumper as it really seems to match up well to the body. I am not a big hoop fan though, which led me to the T17.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how many bolts do your bumpers use? my arb replica that i got only mounts to the four 14mm bolts that the oem bumper uses to attach. i'm a bit leary of pulling or being pulled by 4 small bolts.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

I originally ordered a ARB Sahara October 5 2003, after calling them at the beginning of this year and finding out that it was gonna be another couple of months minimum, I cancelled the order and got a TJM-15 from Xtreme. Considering the Sahara model was designed for the Prado, it's not a normally stocked item for ARB USA.

I really like the look of the Sahara model, but after I did the modifications to my TJM, it now has grown on me. Next mod to the bumper is adding LED turn signals and possibly mounting my stock fog lights inside too.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by rwmorrisonjr
Bamachem, I like that look. Who did you order that through? It is the perfect solution for me since I don't want to lose the fog lamps and I don't really like the hoops in front of the headlamps.
I ordered it through http://www.4x4rockshop.com/ since he's local. I had to pay cash in person to get that deal. I ordered it on Jan 2nd. It arrives state-side in Seattle on Feb 21st. I wouldn't wait for 5 months, but 2 is OK. I think the chrome hoop is removable. It may not be, but I was under the impression that it was mounted in a similar fashion to the hoop available for the T-17. I also got the same IPF lights that are on the Sahara in the pic above. IPF = ARB (same brand as what comes in the bumper for fogs)

They just started a new batch recently, that's why I was able to get mine in 2 months instead of 5. Supposedly, they only make a dozen or so per run, and only make the Prado one a couple times a year. Actually, they just changed it from 72.5" wide to 72" wide along with some other changes. Mine will be the first stateside with the new model number. Can't wait!

Last edited by bamachem; 02-05-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:41 PM

I am looking into a ARB bumper for my 2001 4runner sport. I contacted ARB and asked them what they had with the headlight guards. ARB recommended the 3423020, they sent a pic of one on a 3rd gen. I contacted a couple vendors and they told me it would fit with narrow fender flares. My fender flares look the same as on the pic and it looks like the bumper lines up with the flares. Can anyone with this setup say for sure.
Attached Thumbnails TJM vs. ARB?-arb.jpg  
Old 02-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Contributing Member

Here's mine on a 2002 with the limited fender flares.

It was $698.25 with free shipping from Central 4WD 1 week delivery and shipping was free - which can cost up to $200 to a residence.

For my 02 Runner I got the 95-02 Tacoma model(3423020). They also have the Hella Lights

The Fender Flares stick out about a half inch which is hardly noticeable.
You will need an Angle Grinder to cut off the flange (Plate for the 4 bolts) at the end of the two frame rails for any ARB installation on a 4-Runner -(Sahara or Tacoma model).
I've seen both the TJM and the ARB bars and thought the ARB was more solid (single piece vs the 3 piece TJM) and has a nicer Powder coat finish.

FYI - Here is the Sahara instalation with pics.
http://wecool.net/4runner/Sahara/

Last edited by ALBPM; 02-06-2004 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by ALBPM
...For my 02 Runner I got the 95-02 Tacoma model(3423020)...
For that 3423020 model bumper, was there any modification required for install? If so what was it, and how intensive is it?
Old 02-06-2004, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

The standard ARB Tacoma Bull Bar lines up very well with the 4runner's SR5 flares.

Gratuitous poser shot:

I prefer the smaller hoop on the ARB versus the hoop on the TJM-15. I also like the clean look of the T-17 and almost went that route.

Do a for lots of info on the install . . .
Old 02-06-2004, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by r854rnr
For that 3423020 model bumper, was there any modification required for install? If so what was it, and how intensive is it?

You will need an Angle Grinder to cut off the flange (Plate for the 4 bolts) at the end of the two frame rails for any ARB installation on a 4-Runner -(Sahara or Tacoma model).

The brackets that go on the Frame End rails look just like the ones for the Sahara.

Last edited by ALBPM; 02-06-2004 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

so the arb tacoma bullbar comes wit a winch mount, where the tjm15 doesnt? i can get the tjm15 for 585 i think thru mike at xtremeoffroad not including shipping. cost will probably come out to same. so what are the advantages of the tjm15 vs arb tacoma bullbar? other than the air bag compatibility and the winch mount?
Old 02-06-2004, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by ALBPM

The brackets that go on the Frame End rails look just like the ones for the Sahara.

Actually, this depends on the year 4Runner that you have. On my 97 I had to unbolt an extension on the end of the frame and just do some touch up grinding so the bracket would slip over the frame rail. If I remember correctly, the 96-98 4Runners have a different style frame then the later ones. My install wasn't very hard. It took longer because of the winch install.

Here is a link to pictures from my install:

Tacoma ARB bumper install on 97 4Runner

Sport
Old 02-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Yup.... 99 to 2002 you have to grind off the Flanges.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
I like that Sahara bumper, looks so much cleaner than the full hoop ones; I even like the chrome hoop since it blends in cleanly with the grill. Guess I need to get some money saved up and get it ordered so I can have it sometime this year. Anyone know who in the Denver area where I can order it?
Old 02-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Amir904
so what are the advantages of the tjm15 vs arb tacoma bullbar?
Really, the only two advantages would be a little better approach angle and 30-40 pounds lighter.

Here's an interesting bit James Chow just posted over on the Wire from an email he received in the past:

------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:21:52 EST
Subject: Re: TJM bumper?

>ARB, better bumper! Right James? :-)
Without question, all my rigs have the ARB. It's the one part I never question putting on.

>Does make it more difficult to line things up if you have a body lift?
Not really you leave the ARB alone and put a spacer under the grill. The ARB protects the front spring mounts (solids) I would not want to remove this feature or try to relocate the mounts.

>What do you mean by direct to the frame?
TJM is mounted to the frame. They do use brackets but they are massive, designed to hold a winch to the frame. The ARB does not use brackets. It is a one-piece unit. The TJM uses bolt on brackets and they are not that massive compared to the ARB mounts. The ARB is designed for winch pulls at 90 deg to the bar the TJM is designed for a max of 25deg. But I wold not go that far myself. The ARB spreads the winch load over the whole frame where the TJM put it into two mounting points. Also TJM bumper needs renforcment to add a winch (winch plate) where the ARB does not. Put it this way if you are going to install a winch or get into areas where you are going to be winched get the ARB. If you are only ever going to need to be pulled or a winch get the TJM (steel).

James Stevenson (TonkaTuf) ICQ-19130256
Old 02-06-2004, 09:32 AM

Since my bumper's primary purpose is deer deflection, I chose the TJM over the ARB for my 4Runner. Neither company made exactly what I wanted so I bought the less expensive of the two to modify.
I do not forsee any 90 degree winching in my future.
Mike

Quick Reply: TJM vs. ARB?