Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TJM-15 and Other Mod Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TJM-15 and Other Mod Install Questions

I'm driving over to 4x4 Connection in Winchester, Virginia this weekend. Has anyone dealt with these folks?

I could use your help with estimates (in hours) on install times for the following possible future mods:

1. TJM-15 winch bumper with Warn winch (XD9000?).
2. Aisin Manual Hubs.
3. Air Horns.
4. PIAA 520 Fog Lights.
5. Bolt-on Rock Sliders.

I think the bumper/winch and fog lights might be my first install. I'd like to have some figures when I go so if they say it should take, lets say 4 hours to install a TJM-15 bumper/winch and the consensus here (as an example) says it should take 2-3, I might be in good position to correct them.

Basically, I'm trying to avoid overpaying. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:55 PM
CTB

You can't put Aisin hubs on your rig. The only manual setup you can run is from Off-Road Solutions, and it is $$$

I don't think a front bumper should take very long to put on - 2 hours maybe.

Lights took me about 3 hours, but I was working slowly with breaks for Plus, I am really picky about how everything looks and works.

Have no idea about sliders.

And yes, I have ordered from them a couple of times with good results.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4x4Connection

I got my OME Steerig Stabilzer from them - two thumbs up. I didn't realize they were in Virginia. I need somewhere reputable (and kinda close) for ARB Lockers - hopefully before the EC4RJ. Not something I want to tackle on my own.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

I was afraid the manual hubs for my 4Runner would either be unavailable or expensive. The majority of my driving will be on paved roads with excursions to my cousins down in the Blue Ridge Mts for a little trail riding and surf fishing in the Outerbanks NC. I'm also looking into joining a local Northern Virginia 4x4 club too.

Do you think the benefits of being able to unlock the hubs (less wear & tear, possible increase in gas mileage) outweights the costs? Are the current ADD systems better and should be left alone?
Old 02-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

You don't say you have a lift, so there is zero reason to go with manual hubs, period.

You would consider getting a bumper and winch before a lift, not to mention sliders? It would look strange, but okay. You can get a spacer lift for relatively cheap if that is an issue.

The PIAA's are quite easy to install yourself. They come with pretty good instructions as I recall.

But more important than these other off-road worthy mods put together, tires should be your first upgrade if you've not already done so. If you run trails that require a bumper, winch and sliders, you are sure going to need to replace the stock tires without question.

Edit: If you don't lift it, then you are surely going to want/need one of those real nice skid plates Mike has designed. It never ends . . . !:cry:

Last edited by Darren; 02-03-2003 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I forgot to include sliders. As for a lift, I'm limited in how high I can go because my 4Runner must fit in my garage.

I do not drive to work, the traffic absolutely sucks. However, my wife needs her car for work. Therefore, in order to prevent her from swapping the vehicles in the morning, my 4Runner is kept in the garage for my use during the evenings, weekends and trips.

Lastnight I measured the clearance between the luggage rails and garage door when it is up. There is about 12" of clearance. I am debating whether I can lift it an inch or two and still leave enough room for a roof rack.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

That should be plenty of room. I'm lifted, racked, lighted and I will still have room for 285's when that time comes. That's way less than a foot.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:34 AM

I've never had them work on my truck, but I've heard from a few people that they do good work and are friendly to deal with, just a bit on the expensive side. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Roadrunner, look at our Sliderz review here for some ideas.

Mike (Xtreme Off-road) has some bolt on ones listed in the review.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

12" of clearance is huge. a 3" lift and 33s will be an actual 5-6", so you got it easy. do that first! SAW/ATS/OME with 285s and then armor up for the trail.

back to your question: yorue looking at 3-4 hours for TJM and winch install. 2 hours for bumper, 1-2 for winch.

air horns you sould do yourself.

bolt on sliders do yourself.

lights arent hard either.

manual hubs wont work.

heck, do install the bumper/winch youself also, itll be a great learning experience and a perfect time to do the lights, winch, and horns.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: TJM-15 and Other Mod Install Questions

Originally posted by Roadrunner
I could use your help with estimates (in hours) on install times for the following possible future mods:

3. Air Horns.
If you're looking at one of the kits with the built-in compressor (FIAMM, Wolo, etc) then this is a pretty straightforward install. It'll generally take longer to get the grill off and the old horns out than to get the new ones in. The only hard part is finding a spot to mount the compressor.

If you're looking to do something more, like a larger set of horns coupled with on-board air, then plan on a day to get things together so that you can find space for the pump & tank, run hoses and power, deal with an aux outlet for air tools, run out for fittings that you forgot you needed, etc.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Roadrunner,

I had an OME suspension upgrade, TJM bumber and IPF lights installed by 4x4 Connection and they did very good work. I thought the labor hours were reasonable--I can't remember the quote, but it was under what I had anticipated. I'm not sure who did the actual work on my vehicle, but I interfaced with a guy named Bill.

I dropped my 4Runner off on a Saturday and Bill told me that it probably would be Thursday or Friday before they could get it done. He called me Tuesday morning saying it was ready! When I picked it up, Bill had me go look at it to see if everything looked okay prior to paying. If I ever decide to get (er, if I can withdraw the funds without my wife's knowledge in order to fund) lockers, I'm going to go back and have them do the work. ARB actually has them listed as a certified and recommended installer. To me, the customer service part is as important, and they do both well.

Where in Fairfax do you live? Maybe we could hook up for a Saturday or Sunday excursion.

Matt
Old 02-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

richeyma,
Do you know where the Fair Oaks Mall is? We live across Rt. 50, in the Penderbrook development. We're going to get a little back from the IRS this year and my wife said I should put that towards the bumper. She didn't have to tell me that twice.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Yes I know where Fair Oaks Mall is. We live about 15-20 minutes apart.

Sweet about the bumper! I was going to go with an ARB, but Bill had a TJM in stock and it didn't look that bad. Once it was installed, I really liked the look.

Every now and then I go out with a few friends on some trail runs. Last time I went was in November down to Madison VA. It was pretty fun. I need to get my sliders ordered and installed, and then I'll be ready to go out again. Let me know if you'd like to go sometime.

Matt