Which Tires ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Tires ??

hiya all,
im looking into some new rubber, but not sure on what ones, i want to stay with the 31`s but what brand ? i kinda liked the B.F. Goodrich mud-terrain T/A i dont do much muddin, but when i do, i want good rubber, any suggestions ? thankx all
Old 03-10-2003, 04:42 PM

What kind of vehicle? Also, how much off-pavement driving will you see? I have a set of the BFG's in MT's and love them, but I wouldn't suggest them for a daily driver.

Martin
Old 03-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

well most driving would be ON road, in a 99 4 runner highlander, just to many choices out there
Old 03-10-2003, 04:57 PM

Go for the BFG AT's. I have had a set and loved them. Of course the new Bridgestone AT Dueler Revo's are getting go praise as well. I still have the stock tires on my 02 runner and it is a daily driver. I would not stick MT's on it.

Martin
Old 03-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Martin, thankx man, ill look into them, as time gets closer,
P.S. love this site, you all seem to have lots of insites, i have learned a few things just from reading everyones posts, thankx again.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

i'd also recommend the BGF all terrains, they seem to be the best all around tire. i've never had them, but that seems to be what half the people here say. personally, i run the goodyear wrangler mtr's and love them, but those are geared for more off-roading (but still good on road).
Old 03-10-2003, 08:21 PM

After reading reviews, and what people have said about the Dueler A/T Revos, I would get those if you're mainly going to be doing on road driving. I'm going to be getting new tires (Not for my 4Runner, but for my Xterra) as soon as I can afford them (I could afford them now, but I just bought a $500 Stereo System for my Xterra because I got a new job) So I'm going to have to wait a while before I buy either of my trucks more presents

But from what I've been reading from people on here, and from Tirerack.com the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos are absolutely awesome on road and offroad.

Just my $.02

-Braden
Old 03-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RicNkc
Martin, thankx man, ill look into them, as time gets closer,
P.S. love this site, you all seem to have lots of insites, i have learned a few things just from reading everyones posts, thankx again.
welcome to the board...

your two main choices are BFG AT KOs and Bridgestone Dueler ATs. use the search feature and read all the posts about them.

my vote is for BFG in 265/75/16 or 31x10.50R15 depending on which wheel you have.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

You need to get yourself some of these babys...

I am seriously thinking about a set of these... Call me nuts, but I do but a fair amount of trust in the process..

Old 03-11-2003, 04:07 AM

I have the BFG AT's (31x10.5-15) on my '85 4Runner and like them. They are very good on road and should be adeequate off road.

on my last truck 91st Gen Trooper) I had the Dunlop Radial Rover R/T's which I really liked a lot. They are a bit more aggressive then the BFG AT's, but not nearly as rough as the MT's. They were better in the snow then these BFG AT's have been, and were great off road. Thicker sidewall too.

This truck came with these nearly new BFG AT's on it, so it will be a while before I replace them, but when I do, I'll get the R/T's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....al+Rover+R%2FT

The BFG AT...

Old 03-11-2003, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone tried the Goodyear Wrangler AT/D's. They have a nice aggressive tread pattern. The only place I have been able to find them was Sam's Club. I have a set of 31's on my truck and if anyone is interested I will take a picture and post it. These have been great in the snow (had alot of it this year to try them in), rain, and good dry road traction
Just my $.02
Old 03-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Thankx to every1, what a response, i got lots of insight, and advise, you guys are great, thankx for all the info. i will keep checking the board every day, as i see something that pertains to me everytime i look, lol, thankx again.
Ric
Old 03-11-2003, 09:08 AM

No one mentioned Michelin LTS M/S. I got them after the original Bridgestone duelers wore out. So far no complaints. Very quiet for the tread.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:15 AM

I have the Dueler ATs and love them, but what about the radial swampers? I forget the exact tire model, but super swamper offers a radial tire that has better onroad manners, but still performs well offroad.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

BFG A/T KO's all the way.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Another Duller AT Revo Lover,
Whats wrong with having the MTs on a dayly driver? I'm not questioning your opnion, just wondering how they are so bad? Are they extremely loud? Horrible Dry traction? I was just curious because I was going up to the MTs next time around, but I do a fair share of hiway driving to/from college. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Sams Offroad

hey all,
has any1 tried the TrXus Mud terrain tires ? from samaoffroad.com ? or what about the High-Tech-Retreading.com ?
Ric
Old 03-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

thats SAMSOFFROAD.COM sorry guys
Old 03-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Rick.. I may be a test dummy for the re-treads.
I have talked with the owner quite a bit back and forth.. They seem like a heck of a deal..

Now let me state my opinion on the "gator-back"argument..

I used to service tractor trailers, and let me tell you the #1 cause of truck blow outs you see is from running a flat tire with the other one still holding air.. I would be as bold to say maybe 90% of the blow outs you see are from that..

Now also, truck tires are so commonly retreaded it is almost like comparing how many cars get flat tires.. If your car has a tire that is almost flat, you normaly are not driving it 65mph on the highway for say 2000 miles now are you?? Trucks do all the time (Trust me)

Now for the car end.. There are a lot of taxi's that run these just from the cost of the tires.. I deal with a cab co. for work and I was asking the mechanic there if they run them.. He said that it is pretty much all they run (and yes, highway as well.. Worcester has a highway running right thru it with like a million exits in the city) He also said he can not even remember seeing a tread seperation, flats all the time, but a tire casing failure?? Nope..
This shop has like 100 tires in stock!!

For a set of matching 31" MT's it would run about $77 a tire if you figure shipping and $10 to have it mounted.. That is about half the cost of a new tire..

Will I go for it?? I just may.. I would love to see a sidewall photo of the tread, he said that you can not tell it has been capped..

I have been looking, and if I do go with a new tire, I think the Firestone Destination MT will be the one

(Gee, Re-treads & firestones.. Do I scare you yet??)

Here.. I don't like white letters...
Old 03-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

hummmm,
well i still have a little time, we are planning a trip to denver in aug. and going to do some off roading up there, im going to look into my options, thankx
love this site..

Quick Reply: Which Tires ??