Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire suggestions & setup for deep sand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire suggestions & setup for deep sand?

Won't be rock crawling with the new rig (currently trying to buy the 00 with e-locker) but thought I'd look for input for running in deep sand. Not sure what lift/tire combo is the best, and how much there is to gain over stock configuration. Thoughts?

Seems to me that tire footprint (width) may be more important than diameter.

The beach I'll be running gets remote in a hurry (60 mile stretch, limited ranger patrols) and conditions at high tide can be terrible. Due to the risk (stranded, stuck, washed away), I wanted to set the rig up well. I'll run a good winch (synthetic rope b/c of the salt) and a Pull Pal winch anchor, shovel, sand ladders, etc.

Also, would like to know about suspension setups that can take the rough beach terrain at decent speeds. I'm concerned about something too stiff. . . gotta be soft and supple to soak up washboard hardpack and the debris washed up onshore.

Last edited by frayed; 06-30-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:42 PM

Here's some inspiration:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ndtrip11-1.flv
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ndtrip11-2.flv
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...landtrip11.flv

Here's the proud owner. He work is first rate:
https://www.yotatech.com/members/2099.html
Old 06-30-2008, 03:41 PM

sweet rig
Old 06-30-2008, 05:04 PM

I drove the 4runner on the beach down in NC. It was nowhere close to getting stuck driving through the sand. Mine is just a limited with no locker and michelin street tires. I think with a locker and some decent tires you shouldnt have a problem.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 PM

when I was running the 32x11.5 BFGMT @15psi I could easily go through loose sand and gravel that was sinking my buddies 32X9 timberline mt's
Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM

Yeah, wider, less aggressive tires are your best bet. I have hit the sand a few times and have never gotten stuck (stock tires). In fact I usually pull a person or two out each time I go. I feel my lift (OME 881/890) lifts me up just enough to keep me from dragging the trucks belly through the sand. I hit the beach a few times before the lift though, and the truck did fine. I really enjoy the 5spd in the sand... you can stay in 4hi and just kick it down to second (or first on occasion) and floor it right before stuff gets real soft.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:48 PM

yeah.. less agressive is TRULY better for sand....lol...... Ive been a prerunner for a while do to problems with my front third....then SAS then problems with driveshaft and front third....lol....ANYWAYS my 35" BFGATs did WAY better in the sand then my boggers.....if I dropped my tire pressure to 15 in the A/Ts I could go all over 2wd....my boggers.....DUG DOWN DEEP....LIKE DEEP DEEP...... bury the third in the first five feet..... wow
Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 PM

It sound's like you plan on running PINS, correct? If so I suggest the BFG A/T. I run them in a 32x11.50 aired down to about 10 psi and they do great. They're aggressive enough to get through the spots at the highbanks where the sand is thick and wet but not so aggressive that they dig all day long.

You should be able to fit tires in the 31 to 33" range stock or with minor mods. I'm running BJ Spacers, SAW T-bars, and LC Coils and like the set-up but plan on going with t-bars that are a little smaller in diameter. I haven't had any ground clearance issues considering these trucks sit up pretty high in stock form, but if I could build my truck over again a locker would be my first investment. I've noticed when I go to wash my truck that usually only one side has sand on it.

Oh, and don't forget a shovel and a good jack with a large base.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've seen a couple rigs from the Islands on here, check them out. They run really wide rims without alot of lift. A couple guys on here bad mouthed they're style so don't if they still hang out or not. They live on loose deep sand, they probably know best about it.

I've never had a problem in any of my rigs running stock firestones on my old ranger, GFgoodrick a/t 10.5 width, buckshot mudders in 12.5 width. I always stay up in the loose stuff because of salt water and rust thing.

good luck
Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM

i would say a with the stock locker some 33 x 12.5 BFG A/T and mabye a little lift to clear the tires youll be fine. of coarse with all the stuff you orignally said too(sand ladders, hi-lift, winch, shovel, pull-pal) and maby a snorkel to help keep snd out of the intake and just incase you have to go through some water. easier said then done i guess but well worth it though
Charlie
Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by muddpigg
I've seen a couple rigs from the Islands on here, check them out. They run really wide rims without alot of lift. A couple guys on here bad mouthed they're style so don't if they still hang out or not. They live on loose deep sand, they probably know best about it.
good luck
They (being Hawaiian style) run 12.50 tires on too wide of a rim, stretching the tires. Not really the best idea.

A 12.50 tire on a 8 inch rim would be fine. Allows you to air down lower than a 10 inch rim, though youd probably be ok with a 10 as well. If your concerned about loosing a bead at low tire pressures, get a set of beadlocks.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:05 AM

Thanks fellas.

cc yota, yeah, down on PINS. We close on a house on padre island (padre isles development, probably about as close as you can get to the PINS entrance) in two weeks, and I've been struggling with the 4x4 v boat issue: which to get first. Well, the wife only cares about the 4x4 so she can take the kids and dog to the beach w/o worrying about trashing her daily driver. SO.......4x4 it is! I'm looking over the 00 Limited with e-locker this evening. I will probably buy it as long as it passes a leakdown test.

------------------------------
As far as recovery gear, is the hi lift that helpful in the sand? Is it needed if I get a decent winch? I figured I could just pull my way out of trouble.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:14 AM

Also, before putting the rig on the beach, the locals say that you should pretreat it to keep it from rusting away.

I found this stuff: http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/appli...utomotive.html

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 AM

high lifts can do fine in the sand you just need to keep a 1'x2' piece of plywood in the truck. It will displace the pressure, allowing the lift to work.
procomp x-terrain or baha claw radials are great sand tires.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 AM

yea, 3 inch lift should be enough, with alot of travel of course, your gonna need 32's or 33's or bigger, that is probably the most ideal setup.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:51 AM

Bf goodrich all terrains are also very good tires for sand
Old 07-01-2008, 08:43 AM

Thanks, BFG AT's it will be. I'll be ordering up a set after the rig arrives.

Do you guys have any thoughts on which lift and suspension to use? I'd like something soft so I can boogie going along sections of the beach that are deserted w/o needing a chiropractor the next day. . . PINS is a LONG beach w/60 miles of coastline. Good fishing spots are 25 miles down.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 AM

Carry 2 strips of carpet with you - about 4 foot long - tires width. I saw this on a Bill Burke DVD - he was stuck in sand - unrolled the carpet and put it under his tires and drove right out!

John
Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 AM

whatever setup you run make sure to prep it for the sand abuse. Get good with the grease gun, rinse it well, and make sure to run a good intake system, sand+motor=
Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by frayed
Also, before putting the rig on the beach, the locals say that you should pretreat it to keep it from rusting away.

I found this stuff: http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/appli...utomotive.html

Any other suggestions?
I've never seen that stuff before but Absolute Detailing, on SPID between Nile and Airline, does under carriage treatment for pretty cheap. A friend of mine had hers done for $150 IIRC.

For suspension look at Sonoran Steel's kits. They seem to be the best all 'round kit's for the 3rd gens and you should be able to fit a 285/75 or 295 75 with little to no rubbing, or maybe a 305/75. Which are all good sizes for PINS.

You don't need a whole lot of travel for PINS but you do need good dampening. I like a firmer ride for pins so I'm not slamming on the bump stops all day. (that will send you to the chiropractor)

Hi-lifts will work in the sand as long as you have a nice wide level base to set it on like a 2'x2' piece of 1/2" ply or the off-road base. I had a bottle jack that had a base about 1ft. square that also acted as a jack stand that worked well too. There are some situations where just jacking up the truck and pushing it off to get out might be easier than winching IMO. Plus you never know when you might have to change a tire.

Most of the pre-runner guys use racing floor jacks with skids on the bottom to slide on the sand and disperse the weight.

Like This!

Sorry for the long post., and let me know if you need any help or when you plan on hitting up PINS.

Jake

Last edited by CC_yota; 07-01-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire suggestions & setup for deep sand?