Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire Rotation (continuation...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Rotation (continuation...)

I’m planning to do a rotation and this ‘plausible’ theory by respectable posters surfaces in several tire rotation threads.

Front to back...back to front. You never want to switch sides of the vehicle. This will cause the tire to rotate in the opposite direction. Radial tires do not like this. Once a radial tire is turning in one direction you don't want to upset it. They get cranky. Switching rotation direction will cause a radial tire to "scallop" and get "out of round". Switching sides was ok when everyone ran bias ply tires.

But after thinking about it for a second rotating tires only from front to rear goes against the quoted text.

Try to visualize only one side of a vehicle at a time.

The front tire has great clockwise rotational force (inside the rim) applied to it due to braking. The rear tire has great counterclockwise force applied to it due to acceleration. (Braking on rear, and on acceleration on the front is negligible in the grand schema of things)

If the tires are switched only front to back, we essentially did just what the post warns not to do!

Now the tire that had mostly clockwise force applied to it now gets counterclockwise force, and counterclockwise switched to clockwise on the other tire.

The only way to keep same rotational force direction is to use a true X pattern rotation! (That's what the original theory seems to refer to.)

(Toyota manuals for vehicles equipped with non-directional radial tires advise modified X pattern anyway, so it might not be such a big deal one way or the other. (?) )
Old 10-17-2003, 05:06 AM
Erc

While what you said about the forces under acceleration and braking makes sense, I think for 90% of the time your vehicle is in motion, you're not generation much clockwise or counter clockwise force.. you're just rolling (highway cruising, for example).
My manual for 2002 4Runner shows a front to back and back to front pattern.. no side changes. Tires do not appear to be directional either.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:33 AM
CTB

I always just rotate mine front to back.

However, in the shop that I work at during the summers, I was told that the "generally accepted" way of rotating tires is to: move the drive wheels straight (which would be straight forward on our rigs), and criss-cross the non-drive wheels.

To be honest, I'm not sure why this is the "generally accepted" way, but that's just what I was told.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:00 AM

But is it not the forces applied to the tire that the original post warns against? Not just general rotation?

Seems to me the tire doesn't know east from west, and up from down, or which direction it is rotating in, but it does care about the direction it twists in. Right?

(Afterall, if you spin a tire in a vacuum off the ground and then switch directions it would not cause the tread to separate, make the science guy watching the experiment roll over a few times and then be thrown out of the laboratory window.
Since there are no forces applied to it, why would the tire care?)
Old 10-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Erc

All I know is that I've got 18k on my rig, I've rotated my tires twice so far (I do it myself, so I know the wheels are torqued right) and the ride is as smooth as the day I bought it when it had 11 miles on the odometer, zero vibration and the tires appear to be wearing evenly
Old 10-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I can say is 'Follow the tire manufacturer's recommendations.'