Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Tire Carrier or Note....
Yes....I like the looks and functionality, etc
67.86%
No....I hate the looks, blocks visibility, hassle getting into rear, etc
32.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Carrier or Not....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Carrier or Not....

Well, I've narrowed my search for a rear bumper down to Big Country Customs in Abbotsford, BC. Now, I just have to decide whether to go for the tire carrier or not. Frankly, I really am on the fence on this issue. I'm curious whether the Yotatech masses would opt for the tire carrier or not. Are there any negatives to moving the rear tire from underneath out to a rear carrier? Reduced rear visibility comes to mind but I frequently tow a small travel trailer with the 4Runner so not having great visibility out back is not much of an issue.' Any further pro's and con's you folks can throw into the mix would be appreciated.

I did search this issue but most of the discussions focused on whether the 4Runner can handle "any" rear tire carrier. I don't really want to rehash that debate unless there is a real life example of a tire carrier actually failing on the trail (or worse yet, on the highway).

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

James
Old 03-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

it looks cool, but i wont get one. i like my visibility and ease of opening the trunk.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:51 PM

How about a roof rack?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

I love the look, but Im still deciding if I really want one, from the people that Ive talked to that has one, its no big deal. its not a hassle to open up.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 PM
JGM

Hasn't this poll been done before? Anyway, I had a tire carrier and it was fine. I liked the look, but it was very hard on the truck. A LOT of weight waaaaaay out back there. Hard on suspension, especially if you wheel it. Getting into the back is a pain, too. My wife HATED it. So, I ended up working with Snorin' Steve (oops, spelling) and I stuck my spare back underneath. Much better in the long run for me.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Homer666
I don't really want to rehash that debate unless there is a real life example of a tire carrier actually failing on the trail (or worse yet, on the highway).
Here's one example Sonoran Steel scroll down...

I know this happened on at-least one other 3rd gen 4Runner.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:33 PM
JGM

Luckily, not mine. My hinge has the pin supported on the top and bottom. Regardless, hang a heavy tire off a piece of metal and wheel it, you are eventually asking for repairs (at best). Back under it goes!

Oh - and I will never stick a huge tire on my roof. That's like begging to flop, IMO.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:59 PM

i vote no rear carrier. even if you can get past the crappy view, the strain on the frame along with the added weight to the back is not worth it in the long run. if its that big of a hassle under the truck just tie it down in the back for rougher trails.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

id get the carrier, but not run the spare 24/7. i took out my spare from up under the rear...too much weight. i run 285 MT/R's so im not too worried about going flat...locally anyway. if im on a long drive, or am wheeling, i bring it, usually in the trunk. i contemplated having it on the roof, but itd be too top heavy i think. id have theim also contemplating the rear BCC bumper w/ the carrier, but its mad cashola's...
i'd also get the tire offset to the drivers side, so at least i still can see out my rear blind spot...

edit: oops forgot to vote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

i voted yes just because you might want to use it ONCE, and you didnt get it....youd probably be upset at yourself for spending that money on the bumper, and not putting up the extra bit for the carrier. cant you take the carrier off this bumper? and as for throwing the tire on the rack....in my experience, it creates a lot of fear while wheeling, a hassle getting it up and down, BUT i think its a good place for it to sit for normal street driving because you really shouldnt be driving fast through corners anyways, so tipping over on the street is irrelevant. long trips its good up top too, because id rather have all my luggage in the back than on the rack. just my .02
Old 03-27-2006, 03:33 PM

I have a friend with a rear carrier and he doesnt seem to mind it. we hardly ever open the rear so thats not an issue. but you can tell its making the rear of his 4runner sag quite a bit so its probably not that great on the suspension.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like my carrier alot. It does restrict access to the rear (you have to undo the latch before opening the door - whoop-tee-doo) and you can't see out the rear glass but neither of those bother me one bit.

However, it's NOT as simple as just building a stout bupmer. There will also need to be some frame reinforcement as I'm going thru now. I'm not worried about it failing cause I used the slee hinge and a 2000# latch, but I don't want it to move at all on hard impacts and today, it will move about 1/2" on impact. it's just some plating on the frame and possibly and X-brace on top of the frame out of some 1" square tubing, but it should be considered for a rear carrier.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:14 PM

I personally am not a fan of a tire carrier on the back, especially with the 4Runners that have a tailgate. I mean, sure, it looks cool, but you can store the spare tire underneath and you will still be able to see, get into the back, etc.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

I love my stock rear spare tire carrier. it's bit noisy (need to replace the bushings)though, but I can live with it.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
The biggest moans I have about the rear tire carrier on my Bronco II is that it swings back in on me sometimes and getting into the back is a pain, especially with the bikes mounted (spare carrier mounted yakima rack). Having access by rear window like my 3rd gen would alleviate some of that. Visibility isn't really an issue but it was more so on my '67 'Co. Neither carrier has fallen off though both were/are noisy. I think the short Bronco and Bronco II look a lot better with the tires on back, but I don't think it would improve or unimprove the look of the 4runner.

Would you be able to swing the carrier out to get into the back of your 'Runner with the trailer hitched on? Would it be a problem if you couldn't?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:45 AM
Banned

Old 03-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

The thing I have against them is the visibility, if you have a small tire, you might as well put it underneath and a big one, well...if its on a rear tire carrier you cant see out the back window, and the rear view mirror is 10000000000x more importand than the two side ones, or the one side one in my case.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Link to an interesting tire carrier posted on the general page:

http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=59255
Old 03-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Interesting indeed, but it doesn't get out of your way for full loading and unloading access.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

I like the functionality of them. However, I wont be running big enough tires where they wont fit underneith the rig.

Some of the hinges used on the carriers have failed. Steve's Rockstomper hinge comes to mind.

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier or Not....