Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

tint nightmare need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tint nightmare need advice

Went to this place that does custom work. They put 35% Lumar tint on the front 2 windows. Told me not to roll it down for 1 day. I didn't roll it down for 3 days to be sure, still saw some little bubbles. Instructions say let it cure for 7-14 days. At about 10 days I call the installer & tell them I have some small bubbles.

They tell me to bring it it they'll push 'em out. Bring it in, they say the tint is too stuck to push them out so they'll remove tint and redo it.

I bring it back, they spend the whole day removing tint and replace it. Now there's more bubbles than before and a long SCRATCH on the outside of the driver's side glass.

I bring this up today and they say yeah, they think they scratched the glass -- they'll replace it for free. I ask and make sure it's Toyota glass. Lady says yeah, and she can only get factory bronze or factory green tint, not CLEAR.

Next thing is, they'll push the bubbles out of the passenger side window. So I'll have factory tint on the driver's side and 35% on the passenger side. I ask her and really believe that 35% is not as dark as factory bronze tint. She says there's not much difference.

I'm a LOT skeptical at this point.

1) I'm pretty pissed that this has gotten so screwed up
2) I don't really like asymmetry and can't imagine a factory tinted driver's side window will match a 35% tinted passenger window
3) I can't believe they can't order a clear window
4) I'd rather get either 2 clear front windows and tint them or 2 factory tinted front windows ( how much is a factory tinted window, anyone know? I'm sure lots.)

Anyone know if I should demand a clear front window?

Do you think this will look weird getting a driver's side front window factory tinted and the other side not ?

Should I just get the front driver's side glass replaced at the dealer?

How do I make sure I'm getting Toyota glass?

Now I'm also going to have to remove the door panel b/c the door panel is sealed with soundproofing and has some custom speakers in there and I don't trust them at this point to NOT screw up my speakers.

What to do? Really need some advice on this one.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:31 AM

The way you can tell if you have Toyota glass or not is by little Toyota symbol on the glass itself.

Whatever they do, make sure your both windows match. And if they replace one window with clear glass, and another is still bronze, windows will not match and your 4Runner will look akward. Remember, the shop will try to find the cheapest way out, and many times that way isn't the best no matter what they tell you.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:06 AM

I would say bring it to toyota, let them replace the glass and send the tinters the bill. THEN I would find a new place to get it done, and try to get one reccommended by someone you know!! Tinting is alot like stereo work, a lot of people pretend to know how, but only a few really do.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:27 AM

Just another thought.... I remember the dealer telling me that the front clear windows are actually called "green" ( even tho they're clear)... and sure enough, partznet.com tells me the right part # and it's listed as "green"....

I'll probably tell this place to replace the window with the "clear" ( ( green) glass and retint both windows so it looks the same....

Anyone know if replacing glass will screw up the alarm system or if I should tell them to reattach any wires, etc ?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 4FonZ
Anyone know if replacing glass will screw up the alarm system
or if I should tell them to reattach any wires, etc ?
SHould have no effect on your alarm. Even with window modules, nothing is attached directly to the glass.