95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

timing belt/water pump help- WA State

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 AM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing belt/water pump help- WA State

SO...

I'm off injured collecting some L&I. It's nice, i've paid into it for years now, just getting my own

BUT, that leaves a LOT of time on my hands to do what i want. the timing belt/water pump has been on my mind since i got the runner january '07, but have just been putting it off. i'm at 130k now (most likely original t-belt), and want to replace it.

called the dealerships around washington state, and found it's about $635 parts and labor with a deal. that looks alright. I can get the parts from trdparts for under $200, however! My question is:

Does anyone want to help me out in replacing these parts that lives in the WA state area? Do you have a SST that you made and want to use again? I'd drive to centralia/ellensburg if need be, but greater seattle area would be best. let's just say meals and beer are paid for while we change out the beast's inners!

thanks!
scott
Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Supplying the beers and pizza???
Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 AM

dude, i was hoping you'd chime in after checking in on your thread from time to time. awesome rig- i've been contemplating going to sammamish just to hunt down and drool on the rig, then i thought it's probably garaged...

um, yea, that's the offer. did you replace the tbelt and water pump before you stuck it in your truck, or running on prev. equipment?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
dude, i was hoping you'd chime in after checking in on your thread from time to time. awesome rig- i've been contemplating going to sammamish just to hunt down and drool on the rig, then i thought it's probably garaged...

um, yea, that's the offer. did you replace the tbelt and water pump before you stuck it in your truck, or running on prev. equipment?
yeah i rebuilt the entire motor before I put it in the rig. Its a few hour job for the timing belt with the engine in the truck and i could help you out im sure. when were you thinkin? I dont think I could do it this weekend cause im gonna go pick up a 4.3 motor Ive decided to throw in the runner.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 AM

i'll have to order the parts first from dallas, probably take a week anyway. i'm off until mid-august, so i have quite a bit of time. if you're up for helping, i'll get the parts soon.

how'd you get the 217ft/lbs on the crank bolt? i don't even know how the toy. dealer does it?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 AM

put the truck in gear and have a strong person torque it down Its perfect you have a stick to put it in a gear. Your not gonna be able to turn the motor over with it in a gear thus making it possible to geter tight
Old 07-17-2008, 10:41 AM

ok, yea, i see that.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:43 AM

just let me know when you get the parts in and ill see if I cant give you a hand.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
I dont think I could do it this weekend cause im gonna go pick up a 4.3 motor Ive decided to throw in the runner.

So your already sick of the 3.4? Ill take it from you if you want!

I call first dibs on cheap 3.4!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
So your already sick of the 3.4? Ill take it from you if you want!

I call first dibs on cheap 3.4!
You can buy the motor but youll want a new harness as I moded it up pretty good for my swap and dont want to go through the hassle of reduing it for someone or giving them the headach.

the motor internaly is very strong. I just had some electricle issue with it and got tired of running to the store and having to wait a week at least for the part to come in and its more expensive.

Im going to a 4.3 now and I can get one cheap and its real easy to work on and a better choice for my straight crawler

Let me now if you are interested in it.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Yea i really want to do a 3.4 swap one day, the 3.0 has just under 250,000 and it is very strong and im hoping it won't quite anytime soon. I was planning on saving up some money in order to buy everything. not sure how that would work with yours since it is not a CA engine and all. Plus how would i go about getting a wiring harness? When we were trying to find one for the 3.0 i called toyota and they wanted around $1800 bucks for a new harness.

Last edited by 904_runner; 07-17-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 AM

Yea i really want to do a 3.4 swap one day, the 3.0 has just under 250,000 and it is very strong and im hoping it won't quite anytime soon. I was planning on saving up some money in order to buy everything. not sure how that would work with yours since it is not a CA engine and all. Plus how would i go about getting a wiring harness? When we were trying to find one for the 3.0 i called toyota and they wanted around $1800 bucks for a new harness.
WOW 1800??? thats rediculous. I got a new harness for it when I bought the motor and it was only $300

As for cali laws your gonna need to run a cat and posibly the egr stuff but all can be added to this motor to make that legal. I just chose not to because its trailered. I loved the power from the motor aspecialy since it has headers and short intake and straight exhaust. its just the electricle I was having problems with. When I had it running perfect I had people tell me it was the best sounding V6 they have ever heard. It sounded beatiful like a V8.

250K on a 3.0 thats as crazy as the 1800 for a harness. One more thing you could look into it the kit from ORS Ithink they now sell and entire motor/body harness to replace yours and its only like 900
Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 AM

well, i bet i could rig up the splicing the wires myself/help from family. and if not i was probably going to go through ors.

My stupid 3.0 caught fire when i bought it and we ended up getting a used harness and ended up splicing a lot!

My main concern about the swap was everything else. exhast, oil pan, and basically everything else, price of the whole thing, and the time it will take. THen there is the factor of hoping everything else will go smoothly after its put in.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:57 AM

well, i bet i could rig up the splicing the wires myself/help from family. and if not i was probably going to go through ors.

My stupid 3.0 caught fire when i bought it and we ended up getting a used harness and ended up splicing a lot!

My main concern about the swap was everything else. exhast, oil pan, and basically everything else, price of the whole thing, and the time it will take. THen there is the factor of hoping everything else will go smoothly after its put in.
Just use your 3.0 pan or get the one from Sky i believe sell the 2WD one for way cheapper than ORS's. The wiring is truely easy. Coming from the one with the electrical issues then again i blame the previous owner and the fact I could not figure out what the exact year was on the motor.

Exhaust is also simple if you can weld. Get some bent tube if you dont have a bender and a flex tube to accomidate engine movement in harsh conditions and build it simple and straight as possible.

Motor bolts right in and jst about wires itself. Just take your time and do your homework

Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Hey thanks, ive been reading peoples threads, but never paid too much attention till now.

Since my job is so fun ive really started to do some research at work.

So you can use the 3.0 pan? And i can weld, but don't have access to a welder ( i want to buy one sooo bad).
Old 07-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
i'll have to order the parts first from dallas, probably take a week anyway. i'm off until mid-august, so i have quite a bit of time. if you're up for helping, i'll get the parts soon.

how'd you get the 217ft/lbs on the crank bolt? i don't even know how the toy. dealer does it?
If you don't want to order them from Dallas, ie you want them sooner, order them from me. I can get them from Rodland Toyota for about the same prices.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:02 PM

No prob

Lots of good threads about it here.

Sorry for the hijack
Old 07-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
If you don't want to order them from Dallas, ie you want them sooner, order them from me. I can get them from Rodland Toyota for about the same prices.
Ya ide give Josh a call about it if you want it sooner for sure
Old 07-17-2008, 12:37 PM

in the works! thanks again. i'll let you know what i'm doing in a bit. thanks for the offer to help too!
Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Ya ide give Josh a call about it if you want it sooner for sure
Done and done. Should be in tomorrow!

Unless their stock was wrong...then monday lawl.

Quick Reply: timing belt/water pump help- WA State