Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Timing belt, seals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt, seals?

Ok, just need some info. I called Miller Toyota here in Manassas, and here are the prices they set out for me. I searched the tech section about timing belts, and I did not see anything about cam/crankshaft seal changes at the same time.

$300 for belt replacement
$312 for water pump replacement
$200 for cam/crankshaft seals?? they recommend replacing them at same time

$130 plugs, coolant, oil change
$100 wires

Does all of this sound right? The only thing I was not sure of was the cam/crankshaft seals, since I could not find it on here. Adds up to $1042, wow, and that is not including the other belts I will probably replace, plus the normal lube of all the required parts. (and I need to get that stupid "retractable" seatbelt that gets stuck in the door all the time fixed, lol)

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got a 97 and changed the belt/pump this summer with 115k on it. The cam/crank seals weren't leaking so I didn't change them.

I'd recommend changing the tensioner and idler pullys. Not cheap, but if either goes, you'll be doing it all over again.

$300 seems high for a pump replacement - the OEM part is around $90 IIRC, and its already going to be torn apart for the belt change... Plus the coolant change should be included there, which you have listed separately... sounds almost like they're double billing you. But I've never had any work done by a dealer so maybe it's in line.

Last edited by toy_tek; 09-21-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

I agree w/ Jon. It appears that they are charging you for overlapping labor.
Did you specifically ask for the prices individually? The water pump labor should include R&I of the timing belt IIRC.

**edit**
That also sounds high for the cam and crank seals. I would expect an extra hundred,maybe??
They should only charge you for the price of the accessory belts since they have to be removed to perform the other work.

Last edited by terryjmatthew; 01-25-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

yea thats what I thought, first thing I said (too bad it was to myself) was that the water pump is right there, why charge me for the labor like that. I suppose the guy is just looking at a chart that is based on just doing that service. It doesn't take into account if the labor would be shared between two things. Well anyways, I am going to go get some more estimates tomorrow too.

Also, why change the tensioner and idler pulleys? I guess I don't know what they exactly do, so. lol, I do not see it in any maintenance manuals, so if it will last me a long time, I don't want to spend the money now.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

fwiw...i changed my seals just b/c its already taken apart..preventative maint.

I believe i paid round 450 for it.

changed:
belts
seals
water pump

as for the plugs and wires...do them yourself and save an arm.

firestone told me they charged 100 +to change my plugs and wires...WTF?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

I guess I could try to do the plug and wires myself, just have not had much time for stuff like that lately, doesnt take long, lol
Old 02-02-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The timing belt tensioner pully does just that - provides the proper tension for the belt. The idler is a separate pully that is required for the belt routing between the two cams. Consider that both of those pulleys are turning constantly when the engine is running, and are as much responsible for it running as the timing belt itself. The bearings on each pulley are reletively small, and subject to wear like any normal bearing. If one of the bearings on either of those pulleys were to sieze, it will destroy your belt within minutes, if not seconds. Now you're back to a timing belt change again.

I knew I had a little bit of pulley noise on my engine before I changed the TB, but it was hard to tell exactly where it was coming from: A/C, PS, WP, TB? After changing the TB and both of those pulleys, it quieted down considerably. After removal, it was easy to tell the tensioner bearing was fairly worn, in comparison to the new pulley/bearing assembly.

And once again, they're already going to have the belt removed, its just a matter of changing out the additional parts. Additional labor should be minimal if any at all.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:03 PM

I would have the cam and crankshaft seals done while it's apart.
$1042 + tax is insane.
Go somewhere else for a quote ?
The only thing that looks realistic for parts and labor to me is
$130 plugs, coolant, oil change

Last edited by alotawatts; 02-15-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

yea I am going to get some other estimates
Old 02-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

I paid about $850.
That included complete 90k service with new water pump, belts, cam seals

all OEM parts.
VA import service in Richmond
Old 02-02-2006, 01:17 PM

$312 for water pump replacement during the timing belt replacement.... I guess they are gonna charge you for 2 hours of labor to remove 8 bolts.... Call back, speak to someone else.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:22 PM

I agree with the $312 to remove 8 bolts is crazy!
The only "decent" price is the plugs/wires est. I had about 65 bucks just in wire and plugs.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

there is a place in Springfield, VA that did mine for 450.

Timing belt
seals
water pump
belts

all OEM parts too.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:12 PM

Does the $1042 include Vaseoline and a breath mint?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

localmotion, what is the place in Springfield called?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 PM

timing belt

You think thats bad.I just had the waterpump, timing idler pulley and a new belt put on.Its an 02 with 21,000 miles.Im starting to get that toyota feeling.Right between the butt cheeks.Its sad because the drive train is made in japan.The only good thing about it it was under warranty.To top it all off when I went to pick it up the nut left the fan shroud loose and one of its bolts missing.Now I get to go back over everything he did and double check it.This was at performance toyota in Memphis TN.Needless to say I would avoid the place.I told the service manager thats why I do all of the work on it myself.Its a shame they cant just give you the parts and put them on yourself.Im sorry guys but its my last go around.I would rather have an older one with a few miles on it than anything they make now.Why pay for quality when its just not there.I have owned a toyota since 1978.Six trucks and one 4 runner.250,000 miles on it and the guy I sold it to is still driving it to work every day.Building them over here was the kiss of death.

Last edited by rugerm44; 02-14-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rugerm44
Im starting to get that toyota feeling........Right between the butt cheeks.
Thanks, I sprayed coffee all over my laptop when I read this....too funny.

I feel your pain on the dealers. That is why I do all the work on my vehicle myself. It is not that I want to be cheap about it. It's more that every time I go, I spend more time waiting for the repair to be done, then I have to inspect to make sure it was done right and finally if there is an issue, I need to go back and argue over getting it done right.....and then I get to go back and do it all over again. NO THANKS!

Now I only wait on myself for the repair to be done, no reinspection and no arguements.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by rugerm44
You think thats bad.I just had the waterpump, timing idler pulley and a new belt put on.Its an 02 with 21,000 miles.Im starting to get that toyota feeling.Right between the butt cheeks.Its sad because the drive train is made in japan.The only good thing about it it was under warranty.To top it all off when I went to pick it up the nut left the fan shroud loose and one of its bolts missing.Now I get to go back over everything he did and double check it.This was at performance toyota in Memphis TN.Needless to say I would avoid the place.I told the service manager thats why I do all of the work on it myself.Its a shame they cant just give you the parts and put them on yourself.Im sorry guys but its my last go around.I would rather have an older one with a few miles on it than anything they make now.Why pay for quality when its just not there.I have owned a toyota since 1978.Six trucks and one 4 runner.250,000 miles on it and the guy I sold it to is still driving it to work every day.Building them over here was the kiss of death.
Wish I would have known that you were headed to Performance Toyota in Memphis - I would have steer'ed you way clear of them. Totally useless!!!! In fact all the Toy dealers are useless in Memphis.

As you do - I do all my own maintence myself. However, the big stuff, I used Barton's Auto Care down in Midtown. He is very reasonable and does very nice work. I usually buy Toyota OEM parts and take them to him for install.

Also, I use Donnie Owen's Alignment/Tires in Eades, TN. Great bunch of guys for Tires/Alignments. They actually know what a 4x4 means and know how to work on them.

Best of Luck
Andrew
Old 02-15-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dibble9012
yea thats what I thought...

Also, why change the tensioner and idler pulleys? ... so if it will last me a long time, I don't want to spend the money now.
im getting ready for this, im at 105,000 and the pulleys have squeeked since i bought (DONT buy in the rain!) @78,000K. it was under service contract and it wont happen unless its fails, which it hasnt and likely wont, and expires at the end of the month. so ill be doing all the above myself. by the middle of march (before death valely) and brakes.

ps - when im done ill have a snap-on pulley tensioner available to $$ loan (or purchase)
Old 02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dibble9012
localmotion, what is the place in Springfield called?
sorry for the extreme delay

Its called Ahns Auto service.

Quick Reply: Timing belt, seals?