Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Throw-out Bearing Squeek (Fix??)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw-out Bearing Squeek (Fix??)

"This is a fairly common issue. It is the throw out bearing; just adjust the linkage between the clutch peddal and master cylinder. Adjust it to make the rod longer; only adjust it to the point that the noise stops. This proceedure has fixed my truck, as well as a few others. Mine was 40k miles ago and the noise hasn't come back. " (john_luttrell from 4x4wire.com)

I really want to try this out, but I'm unsure of which linkage he's talking about...

If its in this picture, could someone circle it or something??

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2006, 05:56 AM
Maj

The adjustment you describe basically preloads the TO bearing (same as riding the clutch pedal with your foot would accomplish). If the TO bearing is screeching, then that is a sign of dirt contamination and/or wear. Preloading the clutch may make the noise disappear but a problem still exists. Preloading the TO bearing may also lead to premature failure (since it is under more of a load from the pressure plate) and might actually cause clutch slippage if you adjust it out too far. Fortunately, TO bearings are of a pretty robust design and can make noise for months if not years before failure.

I'm not familar with Tacos but if you are determined to make this "fix" most hydraulic clutches adjust in the same manner. Locate the rod that goes into the clutch master cylinder. There should be a jamb nut on the rod. Loosen the jamb nut and rotate the rod such that it unscrews (makes it longer) from the threaded portion adjacent to the jamb nut. Pliers might be necessary to rotate the rod and some rods have flats ground into them to aid in turning. Be conservative and rotate the rod only one revolution or less (mark the rod with a Sharpie so you can keep track of rotation) then fire up the truck to see if the noise has disappeared. If not, kill the engine and rotate the rod some more then restart. Once the noise disappears, retighten the jamb nut and you're done.

Perhaps someone will chime in on how the factory recommends that the clutch freeplay be set and you can see how far, if any, your adjustment is from factory spec.

My '92 4Runner TO bearing made the same noise at around 5k miles but was repaired under warranty. Factory TO bearings are not one of Toyota's better designs...
Old 10-28-2006, 02:29 PM

I sort of found where the squeak is coming from..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qD08l6M-nQ

When I press, even pretty lightly, the squeak pretty much disapears...

Any ideas?