Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Throttle plate/linkage will not close unless truck is off!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle plate/linkage will not close unless truck is off!!

Just need some advice here. I've searched all weekend for forums that might offer a solution but haven't found a REAL solution or explanation other than more cleaning or replacing the throttle body. Cleaned throttle body this weekend w/ carb.cleaner. Did not remove. Cleaned while on the truck. 1998 Tacoma V6. Put everything back together and now i have a high idle at 2k. Disconnected battery to reset remapping, Oiled linkage inside and out with no help. I have noticed that you can push the linkage closed more with your hand manually and cause the rpm to come down to normal with the truck running, but with the truck off, the butterfly valve and linkage closes by itself and linkage rest where its spose to. (can't push closed any further like you can when its running) Very confused and frustrated. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance, JOsh
Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM

I just threw in the towel and took my truck to a mechanic for a high idle. The more I cleaned the throttle body the worse it got. I tried all the usual suspects (MAF, ICV, vacuum leaks, etc.) and finally gave up. The throttle wasn't returning like you are describing, but before I cleaned it all that gunk in the throttle body was sealing it.

Anyhow, my mechanic had seen it and had a fix involving an extra spring. Apparently the original had gotten weak - I suppose from being held open with the gunk? Picked it up in the dark so I haven't actually seen it yet. If it's something that'll show up in a picture I'll try to take one tomorrow. Wouldn't have hit on that solution on my own in a 100 years I don't think!

Chris
Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 AM

If your able to, a pic would be great. A worn spring does sound explainable and the gunk was sealing the voids around the butterfly valve until it was cleaned. The one thing I don't understand is why would the butterfly valve close on its own every time with the engine off and me working the throttle manually? Maybe b/c there's no vacuum to hold it open anymore? I removed the throttle body completely this time and cleaned as well as IAC too! Still nothing! Let me know how it goes and post some pics if your able to. I can't believe I didn't even think about even considering another spring. Thanks for your help! I'll give the spring a try as soon as I get an idea as to how your mechanic solved your problem.

Thanks, Josh
Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 AM

Yeah, I'll try. That's exactly how it went with me. First started giving me trouble when I cleaned the TB on the truck. Then when I took it off and cleaned it and the IAC it got worse. When I took it off again and cleaned it absolutely spotless It was worse still. Drove me nuts - plus I went through an entire can of carb cleaner looking for an air leak.

C
Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 AM

Well, heck, the way they talked about it at the shop I was expecting it to be a bit more complicated. And the spring a little more specialized. Ace has this spring for sure!

Mine's a manual so the spot where the automatic kick-down cable would attach is empty. They used that on both sides - the cable end on slot on the TB and the slot on the bracket where the cable attaches. If yours is an auto you may have to get creative about attaching it. Maybe attach it to one of the little holes in the crescent where the kick-down cable attaches and then drill a little hole in the bracket on the other side?

The spring itself isn't nearly as thick as it looks in the pictures. My camera's just picking up the sun glinting off of it. It's a very thin wire and if you unhook it it collapses to be only about an inch long with all of the coils touching each other. It doesn't have much strength at all. A small child could hook it up.

Here are a couple of views, one from directly above, the other from the front of the truck:

Chris

Last edited by GV27; 10-13-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 AM

I'm sitting here thinking why I didn't think of that first. Pure genius. Never thought a few bucks might save me from spending a few hundred. So this works every time now? Is the gas peddle any stiffer? Can you tell its there? I appreciate all the advice. Especially the details on the spring. I'm going after work today to find one. Lowes should have what I need. By the way, my truck is a manual also so I can replicate what was done to yours. I will keep you posted to let you know.

Thanks, Josh
Old 10-13-2011, 11:06 AM

No, gas pedal isn't noticeably stiffer. That spring is so weak that it hardly takes any effort to stretch it. Nowhere near enough to overcome the main spring. I don't really have any details on the spring itself. The coils are maybe...3/8" in diameter? Very thin wire it's made out of. And it just completely collapses on itself when not stretched. You should be able to easily double or triple it's length by hand with almost no effort. In fact I'm not going to try it but I bet you could stretch it by hand to the point that you'd ruin it fairly easily.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:43 AM

I appreciate the good advice Chris. Went to lowes and found two different sized springs just in case one didn't work. Got home and tried it out. Had to be a little creative b/c my throttle linkage is slightly different from yours but the principle was still the same. It works! I am so glad I only had to spend a few bucks to make this problem go away. I'm still kicking myself for not thinking of this sooner. I just hope your mechanic didn't charge you an arm and leg to do something so simple. But if he did thanks for taking the hit so the rest of us can have solutions like these that can and will save us alot of headache and money. Once again, many thanks from Raleigh, North Carolina.