Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Those who have HD Bilsteins and like them are in DENIAL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those who have HD Bilsteins and like them are in DENIAL!!!

I've had my HD billys on for almost a year now and I just now come to realize...I HATE THEM! I did my research and didn't listen to those who warned me that they are too stiff. Instead I took my advice from the guys who love them. You're all in denial if you love them! These shocks are so stiff it make everyday driving a pain in the a$!.
I've been in denail all this time and kept tring to convine myself that I like them but I've taken the first step: To realize I'm in denail. Next step: Get some green Tokicos.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:23 AM

Keep in mind that some people might carry much more weight in their trucks than you do, run bigger tires, etc. Having said that, I have them too and like the Tokico's better, LOL.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:12 AM

I'm not quite sure if you are serious or not. Personally I love my Billsteins. If I'm in denial its been a long time as I loved them on my 97 Tacoma, considered them a must have upgrade on my 00 Runner and just added them, along with the PP springs, on my 02. They are a bit stiffer, but they also hold the truck more level around corners and help it settle down quicker after bumps. I'm sure if you hate yours so much you will have no problem selling them to someone else after you purchase a different set.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by pat161
I'm not quite sure if you are serious or not. Personally I love my Billsteins. If I'm in denial its been a long time as I loved them on my 97 Tacoma, considered them a must have upgrade on my 00 Runner and just added them, along with the PP springs, on my 02. They are a bit stiffer, but they also hold the truck more level around corners and help it settle down quicker after bumps. I'm sure if you hate yours so much you will have no problem selling them to someone else after you purchase a different set.
Agreed. Maybe you don't like them and thats fine, but not everyone who likes them is in denial. Some people like different ride styles. Also, I don't know what you drive, but if its a 4Runner hit me up when you put the tokicos on!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:55 AM

Cox380, like the other guy said, it depends on your setup. I've got a 3" suspension lift with 285's and I'm really impressed with my HD's. I think anyone will tell you though, that these are not the shocks you want if you're looking for a "soft" ride for your daily driver. Sorry you had to find out the expensive way.....
Old 02-13-2008, 11:22 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a truck, its supposed to ride rough. My T100 has them and although a bit harsh they dont bother me.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:14 PM

Cox380, I'm curious if you have any weight added to your 4runner? Bumper, winch, sliders.....etc...etc.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by pat161
yes I'm serious.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Dabadina
Cox380, I'm curious if you have any weight added to your 4runner? Bumper, winch, sliders.....etc...etc.
I have no added weight. I have them on my 99 4runner 3.4L 2wd w? 4-5 inches of lift(Y/B,Y/Y tundra springs & 1" top out spacer up front and OME 890 + 2" spacer in the rear.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:00 AM

You are running that setup and complaining about the Billsteins specifically?
I stand by what I said earlier, take them off and sell them to another member. You will recoup some cost towards a new shock, another memeber will get a deal, and you will quickly find the Billsteins were not the main issue.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:22 AM

hey just wanting to know witch billstiens are you guys refering to.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are talking about the HD version.

I have them on my 4Runner & I love them. They aren't harsh at all to me & I'm not in denial, you say harsh - I say stable. I like my trucks to ride like trucks & feel the same with a load or without. Personal choice I suppose; or maybe they just feel stiffer on a pick-up? My 4Runner only bounces one time over obstacles that used to make me feel like I was in a boat with the old stock shocks; they'd allow at least three bounces over the same bumps.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 AM

OK, 100,000 miles of denial. Still LOVE them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I had Monroes on, before the Bilsteins, for 200 miles and it was scarry. It was a total slush bucket. The bilsteins are way softer than the stockers. I'm sticking to the Bilsteins!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:07 AM

Gerdo, you must have some broken shocks if you truly saying the Bilstein HD's are softer than stock 4Runner shocks. I am running them, I know.

I did talk to Steve Schafer (SP?) yesterday and he was singing the praises of the new adjustable Bilsteins he offers with his lifts. He says the are soft as a caddy on the street but somehow automatically firm up when you go out on the trail. That sounds pretty cool.

Does anybody run those new Bilsteins?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:21 PM

If the hd bilstiens are close to the sock feel then those are the ones for me.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by tclong
I have the blue and yellow HD bilsteins and I repeat, they are not close to stock shocks at all. I have had them for 4 years and they are still not as soft as brand new stock shocks.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mjwalfredo
Gerdo, you must have some broken shocks if you truly saying the Bilstein HD's are softer than stock 4Runner shocks. I am running them, I know.

I did talk to Steve Schafer (SP?) yesterday and he was singing the praises of the new adjustable Bilsteins he offers with his lifts. He says the are soft as a caddy on the street but somehow automatically firm up when you go out on the trail. That sounds pretty cool.

Does anybody run those new Bilsteins?
The Yellow shocks have nothing in common with the 5125 or 5150 shocks. DO NOT confuse the two.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by tclong
They are not for you at all. get the green tokicos. They are like stock with a bit more performace.

The HD bilsteins are not even close to the stock black tokicos. The are about 5 times stiffer. With the HD billys(yellow/blue)you feel little every bump in the road. really rough roads shake your truck like crazy and speed bumps feel like your running over large square cinder blocks.

HD bilsteins would be great on a lowered touring car that is going to race on a perfectly smooth road track with tight turns. Not your everyday driver SUV.

Last edited by cox380; 02-15-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by cox380
With the HD billys(yellow/blue)you feel little every bump in the road. really rough roads shake your truck like crazy and speed bumps feel like your running over large square cinder blocks.

HD bilsteins would be great on a lowered touring car that is going to race on a perfectly smooth road track with tight turns. Not your everyday driver SUV.
I disagree, mine perform well in my SUV. What you said might be the case with a lighter pick-up with no load but my 4Runner does not "shake like crazy" on any road surface & speed bumps just feel like speed bumps always have & this is my DD. I've been using these shocks for a year on & off paved roads.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:24 AM

Mine are Yellow with a Blue boot. Maybe they are not the HDs. Here are the part numbers of mine. Shocks: Front, Bilstein F4-BE5-2450-HO. Rear, Bilstein F4-BE5-2451-HO. (Yellow Body and Blue Boot)

They are firm but not harsh.They most deffinitly don't ride like a Cadillac. I didn't buy a Toyota to ride like a Cadillac.

Quick Reply: Those who have HD Bilsteins and like them are in DENIAL!!!