Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Those with SAWs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those with SAWs...

I installed my SAW Racerunner's last night and today, while driving around, I notice a strange "clunk" while going over rr tracks, speed bumps, etc. I don't hear it while hitting smaller holes and such. Is there a breaking-in/settling period? Everything is pretty tight and cranked down well, the only thing I noticed was my endlink bushings were cracked and dry-rotted but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

One other thing... I didn't have time to level the truck out, so I don't have them cranked as far as I would like. There is probably 1 1/2" - 2" of thread showing.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

did you also replace the rear shocks? I had the same sound when I just put my rear ome shocks on and didn't get the stem tight and the bushing got eaten up and fell off and then the shock would clunk when I hit bumps. just had to replace the polyurethane bushing and that was it. check to make sure you have the three bolts on top of the SAWs tight too.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:04 AM

You should measure to see how much lift you actually got--the new batches of SAWs have stiffer springs--I cranked mine(Tundra Valved) less then 2'' of thread and I'm sitting at 14.25 with a TJM. Apparently the older ones had to be cranked up much more. Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:04 AM

keisur do you have a pic of what you are talking about? I might be installing these soon too, and I don't want to run into anything unexpected...
Old 11-18-2003, 07:18 AM

keisur - I put used rear Downey springs in 2 days ago. The Bilstein shocks I've had on for about a year now (I didn't touch them). The rear was/is okay. I'll double-check to make sure the connections are tight again.

gringo - These SAWs (I thought) are from the "new" batch. They were part of the order Mike has been waiting on forever. I had remembered a thread where someone spoke of the newer SAWs having tighter springs so I didn't crank them as much. It was getting late so I didn't mess with tweaking it to make it level. It's probably closer to 1 1/2" right now and it's not level.

I did have to drill those bottom inserts from 1/2" to 9/16" in order to accept the bolt (SAW screwed up).

I'll try and take some pics later and post tonight.

Last edited by Beachrunner; 11-18-2003 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Beachrunner
(SAW screwed up).
What's new.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:32 AM

It's always nice to find these things out after you've torn your truck apart!
Old 11-18-2003, 07:36 AM

I put the rear cone bump stop back (with intentions of removing/cutting it later). What is the best way to cut that back? Bandsaw? Also, how much of that do I really need to keep?
Old 11-18-2003, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by INsr5runner
keisur do you have a pic of what you are talking about? I might be installing these soon too, and I don't want to run into anything unexpected...
just make sure when you install them that you get the stem nut (top) of the shock tight enough. you put a washer on the stem then a bushing, then you put the stem through the hole in the bracket on the body, then put on a centralizer and a bushing and then a washer and then the nut. I didn't have the nut tight enough so there was play between the bushings and the lower bushing got eaten up and fell out leaving a big gap for the shock to shift and caused a clunk. the stem nut is hard to get at ontop of the shock braket under the body so it is hard to tell at only an 1/8th of a turn if it's tight. I'll try to find some pics but I can't promise anything. it was just my fault for being in a hurry and not making sure it was tight.

Originally posted by Beachrunner
I put the rear cone bump stop back (with intentions of removing/cutting it later). What is the best way to cut that back? Bandsaw? Also, how much of that do I really need to keep?
I just used a hack saw, it doesn't have to be pretty.

Last edited by keisur; 11-18-2003 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

I heard a rumor that some saws were being shipped uncharged.
dunno for sure though.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:36 PM

saw clunk

I installed SAW racerunner coilovers on My 99 Taco and had a clunking same as you. I took it to Schwabs for an alignment since my geometry was a little off with the 2 inches of lift I gave it. The tech said my top stem nuts were loose, so I tightened them down. The clunking got worse. So I thought I would go the other way just for kicks and loosened them to where there was almost no tension on the nuts at all. It completey took care of the clunking. I check the nuts sometimes to make sure they dont come off but they're nylock so that's held them in place. I think what happened was that tightening the nut down too much squished the elastomer bushings so they couldnt dampen the way they were designed. Hope this helps
Old 12-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

OK GUYS, HERES THE PROB:

the newest batch of SAWs with Tundra valving that came off the line have all had this "clunk". you need to call Ryan @ SAW and tell him this. he will then pay for you to ship them back and then theyll ship you a free set of the corrected SAWs.

there was a very long post on TTORA national board on this...im gonna search for it in a sec.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

the problem (176 replies): http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/...ry&msg=99993.1

the fix: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/...y&msg=100770.1

Last edited by RTdawgs; 12-11-2003 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:25 AM

Thanks RT... I thought I was going to loose my mind over this. Since it's close to X-mas and all, I thought I'd put off checking into this until the first of the year. Thanks for keeping my thread in mind!

Daren
Old 12-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Bud

I should be receiving my revalved saws Monday. The clunking sound drove me nuts...

Thumbs up for SwayAway for taking care of this issue immediately.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:59 PM

Does this clunking sound happen alot, or just offroad?
I haven't heard the sound you're describing all the time, but only when offroad. I think it might also be my skid plate making noise.
It sounds like it's coming from the right side, only when I put the tire on a rock or go through a rut on that side or go fast on rough rocky terrain.
Oh yeah, did you guys get the right size bushings for the bottom of the shock mount with your SAWs? If not what did you do?
Old 12-13-2003, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

A couple of guys drilled them out so they fit and others sent them back to get the correct size.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

So what am I supposed to do, leave the front of my vehicle up on jackstands and take the bus? This blows. I've noticed this clunk on occasion, but not on a regular basis. For a while I thought I had a bad ball joint. I've still got my old shocks/springs for the front, anybody got a pair of spacers I can borrow for a couple weeks?
Old 12-13-2003, 04:02 PM

I'm right there with ya M.C. What bites for me is that I sold my spacers right before finding this out. Luckily I'll have a company truck to drive for a couple of weeks.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up for SwayAway for taking care of this issue immediately.
Too bad you guys have to tear the front end appart for the second time to correct SAW's mistake. There is no excuse for the faulty product even making it's way out of the factory. Nice quality control! They should be paying you for the labor and inconvience.

Quick Reply: Those with SAWs...