Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

for those considering blue interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for those considering blue interior lights

I've done every light bulb in the dash of my 95 4Runner with the exception of the guage cluster. I'll be taking care of that tomorrow. I used UKMyers bulb painting method, and so far so good.

I spent 4.99 on a jar of paint and about 2 hours removing all the parts of the console and dash to paint the bulbs. So far it looks pretty descent, kind of an "indiglo" look to it. I was hoping for a bit brighter of a blue but it turns out that the backs of the white icons can't be sanded down on the A/C controls because they are stickers glued in from behind.

It looks better than the original green and was pretty simple to do. I probably could have done everything in less than 45 minutes if i knew exactly what I was doing. this is a great little mod for anyone looking to do something really noticable for really cheap.

-Keith
Old 03-05-2004, 10:56 PM

nice.. Congrats on the mod man.. I am hoping to turn all my lights red sooner or later.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:31 PM

i hope it turns out good man, awhile ago my friend and i tried it and the paint ended up wearing/burning off after awile. i even tried going with the pre packaged red bulbs and they wore off too, left it looking kind of pink. you can find some bulbs that are the dyed glass and those ones are bright and hold their color but are also more expensive. i just ended up saying screw it and got some indiglo gauges
Old 03-05-2004, 11:35 PM

Got any pics? I'd like to see what they look like at night.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by WSU4runner
Got any pics? I'd like to see what they look like at night.
pics of my indiglos or his blue lights?

either way heres a pic of my indiglos

Old 03-06-2004, 08:11 AM

I am working on the guages right now. I don't have any pics yet, but I'll probably have some by the end of the week.

I'm planning on buying a set of indiglo guages to match the rest of the lights, but I'm still doing the bulbs in the guage cluster for 2 reasons. Reason #1 is that I want it to match until I get a chance to put in the new guages. Reason #2 is that Even after I put in new guages the light for the odometer and tripometer will still be that nasty green color.

As soon as I can I'll put up some pictures and some info about the paint I used and how it's holding up.

-Keith
Old 03-06-2004, 10:42 AM

Alright, hopefully I'm done! I just put everything back together and it looks awesome. I accidentally disconnected the plug to the needle on the speedometer because it looked like a bulb, so I was a little worried that I might have screwed myself over. It was too late to do anything about it so I just went ahead and replaced all the bulbs and put it back together. I took it for a test drive to see if my speedometer worked, and it seemed like it was working fine. Would it be possible that if I unplugged it, that it could offset the speedo any? When I took it for the test drive it seemed to be pretty accurate, but it could be off by as much as 10 mph and I wouldn't be able to tell.

Other than that everything went off without a hitch. I'm not going to get super-excited yet because I want to make sure that the paint doesn't burn off or anything. Assuming that doesn't happen it's all finished.

Thanks to anyone who put up a writeup on changing their guages to indiglo because I used those as a basis on how to take things apart without breaking them. Thanks to UKMyers coming up with this painting thing, it is excellent.

-Keith