Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Those in cold climates, how's your heat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those in cold climates, how's your heat?

My 4runner seems to have trouble getting as toasty as it used to be (or maybe my memory is just poor and it never was very good to begin with). So, I am wondering, for those that are in the single digits or minus temps, does your 96-98 ever get so hot in the cabin you need to turn off the heat? or is the heat just enough you can keep it on full blast no problem and it keeps you just warm enough?

I am trying to figure out if there is a design problem or if I have some other issue preventing the cabin from heating like our other vehicle does (Civc gets so hot you feel like you're burning up with the heat on full blast even in the dead of winter). I did some work this summer to make sure there were no blockages in the heater core (used a hose a water flows thorugh no problem). I also checked the heater control valve and it does open when the lever is pushed to heat. So I am dumbfounded on what the issue might be (if any). Anyone have any similar issues?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My heat takes longer to get toasty, but it'll get HOT. I've, just for the fun of it, got the inside of my truck up to 104 degrees, haha. This was on a single digit day. Keep in mind that I have a taco with the extra cab so it has a lot less space than you.

It might be that the heater core has some blockage and it isn't getting the full flow to transfer the heat.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

I frequently have to turn the heat down because it is too hot. Even today at 12 degrees. Maybe yours if full of dust?? If it is running loud that would be my guess.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone ever get to or remove the heater core on a 3rd gen?
Any writeups? (I am sure it will be a serious PITA).

Only thing I haven't done was to check the heater core for dust/debris blockage.
After that I am really at a loss.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-20-2005 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

cover up part of the radiator with cardboard, problem solved. I've had to do this a few times, esp. if you driving some distance at highway speeds.

Edit: or get a higher temp thermostat.......I highly doubt theres any problem with your heater core.

Last edited by dwh91102; 12-20-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 AM

Well its been -20celcius at night here for awhile now. It takes a bit to warm up but when it does it stays hot. A few things to keep it toasty are close the sunroof carpet slider, and put the rear heat on when it is really cold that way all the heat from the front isnt warming the back.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:24 AM

My heat blows warm fairly quickly, but it takes a while to heat up all that cabin air. But to answer your question, yes - I do frequently get to the point where I have to turn off the heat - it just gets too hot/stuff... feels like it's hard to breathe.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, mine gets REAL hot REAL quick. I usually turn it off, but does anyone else have the problem that when you go at highway speeds, it tends to push the hot air in still (sometimes as fast as even when the fan is at high but thats at around 80) PS im not speeding, the limit is 75
Old 12-20-2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by THE04Runner
Yeah, mine gets REAL hot REAL quick. I usually turn it off, but does anyone else have the problem that when you go at highway speeds, it tends to push the hot air in still (sometimes as fast as even when the fan is at high but thats at around 80) PS im not speeding, the limit is 75
check your recirculate button/lever.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

as my wife says, "the heat in this thing is ridiculous". and she is the cold one
Old 12-20-2005, 08:20 AM

My 2000 gets pretty warm, and if I go any distance I end up turning it off or down a bit. On the coldest of days, single digits here in central MA, I pretty much run the blower constantly, but I also always leave my window cracked as I like the outside air, even with the heat set to fresh air. On the highway I can usually turn the blower off and leave it on fresh air and it keeps me plenty warm on all but the coldest days. I agree w/ the post about using the rear heat, it helps warm the truck faster. I will say the the actual temp of air coming out the vents is not really that hot, for example my friends Yukon and 95 VW GTI get way hotter and you definitely need to turn the heat off, but mine is plenty warm to keep the truck comfortable.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you guys are telling me I still have a problem with mine somewhere (esp jacksonpt who has the same year as mine and no heat issues at all). Man it sucks to fix a heater problem in minus temps. I tried it in summer, but it is really tough to tell how hot is really is until the winter hits (seemed fine but obviously not). The blower moves plenty of air but it just seems like the air is lukewarm to warm, but not hot at all (and this is after driving for 20-30 min). The cabin never gets hot and stuffy at all and in fact it keeps fogging up so you need to constantly have the defrost on. WTF?

Any insights/ideas/theories/stuff to check would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MTL I'd defintely say you've got a problem. We've been having 15-20 degree temps here regularly with a few spells of 0degree weather a few weeks ago. It takes my 4runner no longer than 5 minutes to warm up from being outside all night and in that time I have HOT heat. I am a very cold natured person and usually wear lots of jackets. It has gotten to the point that I won't wear a jacket inthe morning and just blast the heat..within a mile or so I have to turn it down to almost nothing..I'm not sure of your problem but there is something wrong.
Keep in mind I drive a 1990.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

I am also wondering if I may have a corroded water pump which is not circulating the coolant properly?
There is no issue with the vehicle overheating (stays well below 1/2 on the temp guage) which is why I am stumped.

The water pump is the original to the best of my knowledge.

Any thoughts? Might the WP be bad while not causing truck to overheat?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-20-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yea as unimpressed as i am with cold a/c, i am totally impressed with the heat in my truck.

the rear heater makes a significant difference in the time it takes to warm up the air in the cabin too... just an fyi to those that have em
Old 12-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Mine gets hot but it's bi-level defrost/floor vents could work better as I tend to still get cold hands on the wheel till I give a full face blast for a few minutes.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I am also wondering if I may have a corroded water pump which is not circulating the coolant properly?
There is no issue with the vehicle overheating (stays well below 1/2 on the temp guage) which is why I am stumped.

The water pump is the original to the best of my knowledge.

Any thoughts? Might the WP be bad while not causing truck to overheat?
If the temp. stays well below the halfway mark, I'd check your thermostat.

When my '97 'Runner is at full operating temp. it's just a bit below halfway on the gauge, and always has been.

I've flushed the cooling system regularly over the years, and replaced the thermostat when I replaced the timing belt. Not because it wasn't working, just as a precaution.

It warms up fast, even in temps. around 0 degrees F.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, it seems like I may have another hint here. It seems like the faster you go the colder it gets (ie on the highway it is the coldest) then as you come to a stoplight it begins to warm again. Does that sound like a thermostat problem to you guys?

The needle stays at just a bit below the halfway but it is tough to tell by how much (I'd say the needle sits between 3/8 and 1/2 on the temp guage). I can try and take a pic tomorrow. I might try a thermostat tomorrow and see if that helps at all.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:13 PM

during our -40 days here we have a front bra made that snaps on and zipper down the front to adjust for air flow as needed . my 2.7 has a hard time staying warm but once i put the bra on it help a great deal and no longer was freezing all the way to work . sounds like your thermostat is staying open .
Old 12-21-2005, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Another thought that came to mind was the tranny cooler.....I wonder if that might also be robbing some heat......but the cooler is set up to cool on the return line so I am not sure how big of an effect that will have on the system. I am going to do the thermostat for sure then keep working on this and hopefully I'll get it fixed soon because I need it for a roadtrip.

Quick Reply: Those in cold climates, how's your heat?