Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

those with '03 runners, tire pressures

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those with '03 runners, tire pressures

what are you guys running for front and rear tires pressures? the door jamb and the manual tells me 32 front and rear and the sales stooge made it a point to tell me "32" and showed it to me in the manual so that the "free tires" thing wouldn't be voided. only prob is that I checked the pressures this morning when the rubbers were cold and the stealership seems to have inflated the things to 42!! I want to air it down to 32 like the manual/jamb/sales stooge said but, well, if they start to wear funny I will experience the "wrath-of-wife" for my meddling. I guess this is where the modding starts, first the tire pressure, then the ride height, then... "I swear honey, I just want to "fix" this for you so the thing runs better!" we all know were this obsession leads...
Old 05-10-2003, 09:54 PM

The optimum tire pressure can be found by putting chalk across the tread. Drive around the street and see if it is equally removed across the tread. Only missing in the middle then take some air out. Worn more on the edges then add some.

You can also drive through a puddle and see if the tread you leave on dry pavement is even. I don't think it is as accurate as water caught in the voids will run down on the tread but it gives you an idea. I judge how my tires are inflated by how easily the truck accelerates and how well it responds to bumps.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

Re: those with '03 runners, tire pressures

Originally posted by keisur
what are you guys running for front and rear tires pressures? the door jamb and the manual tells me 32 front and rear and the sales stooge made it a point to tell me "32" and showed it to me in the manual so that the "free tires" thing wouldn't be voided. only prob is that I checked the pressures this morning when the rubbers were cold and the stealership seems to have inflated the things to 42!! I want to air it down to 32 like the manual/jamb/sales stooge said but, well, if they start to wear funny I will experience the "wrath-of-wife" for my meddling. I guess this is where the modding starts, first the tire pressure, then the ride height, then... "I swear honey, I just want to "fix" this for you so the thing runs better!" we all know were this obsession leads...
keisur,

Mine came with the Dunlop AT20 POS tires. I checked them cold the day after I got it and the pressure all around was 35 psi. Someone had a thread going back around Feb/March, maybe JGage or impulsebrklyn that they had experimented quite a bit with different pressures and that 38 psi was the best.

I filled mine to 38 and immediately noticed a slightly stiffer ride but I have left them at that pressure. 37.5-38 all around right now COLD.

Later Dude.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:04 PM

wasnt me but 35 is what the dealer. you will have to do a search for the post i dont rmeember it off hand
Old 05-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

ok. thanks. being as it's the wife's and she wants to try to get the free tires when these wear out I'll keep it at 32 psi since that's what it says in the door jamb and in the manual. We have the dunlops on the 17" "rilms." thanks again.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:12 AM

You can't just let some air out every time you go to the dealer? You'll be burning more fuel and acceleration is affected. Only benefit I can see is that its easier to air down off road - you'll air down quicker and you won't put as much air back in after your done.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Victor
You can't just let some air out every time you go to the dealer? You'll be burning more fuel and acceleration is affected. Only benefit I can see is that its easier to air down off road - you'll air down quicker and you won't put as much air back in after your done.
hmmm, don't know where this came from. I'm not going to air down before I go to the dealer, the waranty is really strict (supposedly). she is also never going to take this thing offroad. I'm talking about the 2003 4runner, not my '98. I was just wondering what other people with 2003's were running in their 2003's so I could see how close the pressures in my tires were, straight from the dealer since the manual and jamb say one thing but they Toyota people don't seem to adhere to their own recommendations. personally, I like it higher since it won't go offroad, again that's what mine is for. This is one of those situations where I want her to keep this thing for a long time because the next new car in our family is mine so I plan on letting the dealer handle everything until the waranty is gone and the car is paid off. Then I'll have my choice of any new thing on the market I want. I already have my '98 4Runner and I'll never get rid of that so I will be getting a sport car next.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:51 AM

Re: those with '03 runners, tire pressures

...I checked the pressures this morning when the rubbers were cold and the stealership seems to have inflated the things to 42!!
You can safely ignore the 42 lbs that were in the tires after your stealer visit. They are either too lazy to inflate them accurately, or they deliberately over-inflate them so that when they lose air over time, they’ll still be OK (because most people don’t check their tires).

The door jamb number of 32 is an excellent starting point. Start from there, and use the methods shown here to make minor adjustments to that.

I’ll take the Toyota recommended 32 lbs over what a stooge salesman says or what a lazy apprentice mechanic puts in the tires any day.

Tom
Old 05-12-2003, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

anything over 40 and u'll definitely see wear on the center... not a good thing...

anything under 30 and u know what you'll get. currently I'm running 36 and seems to be wearing down evenly

Hopefully I won't have to stay in these dumbflops much longer... hehe
Old 05-12-2003, 08:03 AM

I had 38 in mine for a while... Then one day I was checking my air pressure and noticed that the tires said: "35 psi MAX." I run them at 35 psi now.

I'm going to try that chalk test, that is a really great idea.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More info from Search on "tire pressure":

Here

Here

Here

Also, max inflation pressure for the Dunlops is 51 PSI as stated on the sidewall. Now that the Winter crosswinds have subsided, I'm back down to 38 FF/RR. It's a good all around compromise for the AT20's, IMHO.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:08 AM

38 f/r. Gives the truck a much more stable feeling, handles corners much better than when it was at 32 f/r the day I picked up up at the dealer.
-Scott
p.s. - I was fortunate enough to get a Runner with the Michelins
Old 05-12-2003, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by The Silent Man
p.s. - I was fortunate enough to get a Runner with the Michelins
we axed the salesgoof to swap the dumflops out for the michelins but we all know how stealerships feel about that crap. he pretended to ask the manager but he probably didn't. oh well, I don't have to drive it so it doesn't bother me.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:36 PM

My pressure was pretty high from the dealer, well into the high 40's low 50's, cant remember exactly. So, I set them to the 32 as is printed in the door jamb. I figure Toyota knows where they should be set at and I will trust that number.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:56 PM

I keep mine at 35-37
Old 09-11-2003, 08:09 AM

Hi guys...I have a 03 V6 with 17" rims but the door jam lists a pressure of 32 for 16" not 17" rims..
Can someone with 17" rims tell me what pressure is listed on the door jam for 17" rims.
Thanks a million
http://home.nycap.rr.com/baje/cam9.jpg
Old 09-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

I run 32 psi.

I had my oil changed at the dealer yesterday. The monkey who was helping the oil change guy just started filling up my tires while it was on the rack. While not even checking the pressure, and I had just driven 15 miles! I jumped the restraining barrier to the shop and told the guys to never touch my tires. They NEVER set the right pressure. Even when delivered new, the pressure was out of whack.

Do these shop guys at the dealership even take a High School auto tech class to learn the proper mechanics of tire pressure?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:53 AM

I have 17in rims and run 33 psi on all 4 tires.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sac State
I run 32 psi.

I had my oil changed at the dealer yesterday. The monkey who was helping the oil change guy just started filling up my tires while it was on the rack. While not even checking the pressure, and I had just driven 15 miles! I jumped the restraining barrier to the shop and told the guys to never touch my tires. They NEVER set the right pressure. Even when delivered new, the pressure was out of whack.

Do these shop guys at the dealership even take a High School auto tech class to learn the proper mechanics of tire pressure?
careful dude, I think there's at least one of those shop guys that hangs out here.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:36 PM

careful dude, I think there's at least one of those shop guys that hangs out here.
so, it's obvious if someone messes with your truck and you don't like it your not gonna be to happy about it, so he takes his fustration out in words on a board where the majority of the members will agree

Quick Reply: those with '03 runners, tire pressures