Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

thorly headers on a 3.4L - heat issue ?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
thorly headers on a 3.4L - heat issue ?

I have some Thorly headers on a 3.4L
I'm having an issue with the starter . intermittently it will act like the contacts are worn . click click ..
I know the is 12V to the starter , and the grounds are sanded to bare metal . also replaced the started with a quality rebuild .
everything seems to "speck" out fine .

but every once in a while , I get a no start click ..

these headers are real close to the starter , and I know in chevs , they have an issue with header heat , and the electronics of the starter . they use a heat shield to correct this ..

anyway .. I guess what I'm asking .. anyone ever had a problem with there starter like this ?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No issue here, sure the battery is at full power? Try checking the voltage while someone tries to start it when this happens. My battery would drain after a few days sometimes and cause this.

Could be that the "quality rebuild" was not that quality as well.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
No issue here, sure the battery is at full power? Try checking the voltage while someone tries to start it when this happens. My battery would drain after a few days sometimes and cause this.

Could be that the "quality rebuild" was not that quality as well.
yes , battery is good ..
this problem seem to happen @ random , weather driving for hours or stop and start .
have checked for voltage , and as mentioned , it all specs out great . This is the 3rd starter actually .
I haven't been able to check it when it happens , as it's so random .
Old 05-24-2014, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no problems with mine.
3.4 swap, OBX headers with custom crossover underneath.

these headers look like thorley clones.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread Corey. Hopefully we can get this one figured out.

Since this thread is concerning my truck, I might as well provide some more input on the problem.

It definitely seems to be heat related but I don't think the headers are the issue. On hot days, the truck has trouble starting whether I have been driving around or not. On cooler days, it fires up every time without issues. The majority of times I can get it going by tapping the starter but occasionally I have to rely on bump starting it to get going. This is a problem when I don't have friends or a hill around...

Since tapping the starter seemed to help, I thought it was worn out contacts. I replaced those in the original starter but the problem persisted. I decided to replace the starter but again had no luck.

After reading into the problem online, I found a few threads where installing a relay between the battery and starter solved the problem. I am thinking about trying this but there is one thing holding me back. In the threads I have read, the starters are not engaging at all. In my case, my starter will still click.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hate having something like this holding me back on the rest of my build!!

Last edited by DossCable; 05-24-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DossCable
Thanks for starting this thread Corey. Hopefully we can get this one figured out.

Since this thread is concerning my truck, I might as well provide some more input on the problem.

It definitely seems to be heat related but I don't think the headers are the issue. On hot days, the truck has trouble starting whether I have been driving around or not. On cooler days, it fires up every time without issues. The majority of times I can get it going by tapping the starter but occasionally I have to rely on bump starting it to get going. This is a problem when I don't have friends or a hill around...

Since tapping the starter seemed to help, I thought it was worn out contacts. I replaced those in the original starter but the problem persisted. I decided to replace the starter but again had no luck.

After reading into the problem online, I found a few threads where installing a relay between the battery and starter solved the problem. I am thinking about trying this but there is one thing holding me back. In the threads I have read, the starters are not engaging at all. In my case, my starter will still click.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hate having something like this holding me back on the rest of my build!!
The " HOT START RELAY" make it so you have a full 12v to the starter signal wire. I have done a few of these for buddies due to the starter signal wire dropping voltage to 8-9v. It will do the exact same thing as worn contacts.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the reply, vital. Was it a 30amp relay you have used?? That's what I have read in a few threads..
Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Thats what I have used in the past.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Cool. Thanks!