Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thinking of going Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of going Tacoma

the other day when i was at the dealership getting my oil changed, i decided to go and look at the new tacomas. normally i dont look, and normally they dont have any 4x4s or even 5speeds for that matter. but on this day i just happened to find a black '03 extra cab V6 5 spd. 4x4 with E-Locker, and boy was i impressed. if i were to get a truck this is the ONE i would get. and it got me to thinking. I love my runner, and i have put loads of time and money into it, but like many have said, its no 4x4 and thats its main flaw. i want a 4x4 so bad and this is the one that i want.
so i guess my question is, what do u guys think? i mean should i sell my 2wd runner and get the taco, or should i just be happy with what i have (which i am).
right now im trying to figure out financial aspects of this to make sure i can afford it along with rent. i think i can pull it off but it will be tight.
what do u guys think? should i go for it???

dont get me wrong, i love my truck, and its not that i want a new one or that i wanna get rid of my runner, its just that i want this Tacoma so bad!!!

-Casey

Last edited by casey; 09-29-2003 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:28 PM

sounds like an awesome truck. it has all the things i wish i had. x-cab, v6, elocker... if its a good deal and affordable for you, go for it. the reason i dont have an xcab is that they were all too expensive. i wanted a 2.7 when i bought the truck. and i didnt know toyotas came with a rear locker when i got it. so..

yeah! go for it! but be careful. with 4x4 and a locker, you will be wanting to take it offroad a lot.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:34 PM

Casey,
They HAVE to be making some sweet deals on the 03's since they are clearing out.
My good friend has the 4-door Taco and it is awesome. Get the 4-door and it's almost a 4Runner/taco in one! I bet it's a good $price too.

The new taco is based on the 4th gen chassis. I don't know if the taco 4x4 will be higher than the 4R but the rumor is it will have more GC. The 4x2 will be lower. But it will be bigger-like the 4th gen.

I say go for it! 4x4 is awesome and the Taco is such a good deal for what you get. The new tacos will be coming in 04 so I bet you could wait just a bit and still get a great deal on this bodystyle.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

get it!!!!!!!! if you can afford it
Old 09-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

A 4x4 is not alot of fun if you have to sit home all the time because your broke.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sschaefer3
A 4x4 is not alot of fun if you have to sit home all the time because your broke.
if Im broke, I wont be sitting at home, I'll be at work

-Casey
Old 09-29-2003, 07:13 PM
Bud

rumor has it the taco will have a new body style by next year and will be released as an 05'.

You may want to wait til' then if the new body style is to your liking. But the current body style does look sweet; especially in black.

Figure it out if you can afford it. Dont forget to factor the insurance on 4x4's. If you do get it, lets go wheeling! lol

I'm pretty sure you can use your current saws on the taco.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bud
rumor has it the taco will have a new body style by next year and will be released as an 05'.

You may want to wait til' then if the new body style is to your liking. But the current body style does look sweet; especially in black.

Figure it out if you can afford it. Dont forget to factor the insurance on 4x4's. If you do get it, lets go wheeling! lol

I'm pretty sure you can use your current saws on the taco.
i called the other day on insurance on the Taco, and its roughly the same as my runner, so insurance wont be an issue. the issue is going from NO car payment to having a car payment.

i can use the SAWs on the taco, but im not sure if i will be taking them off the runner, i think i can get more money if i sell it as is. plus taking off my lift would mean going back to stock tires and then that means going back to stock gears! just too much mess to hassle with

if i get it, I'll let you know, ill for sure go wheelin with ya. hell ill go with ya in my runner now!

-Casey
Old 09-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by casey
if Im broke, I wont be sitting at home, I'll be at work

-Casey
Gee sounds like alot of fun. Potentaly you have the ability to build a better truck by SASin the 2WD truck.

If you got $$$ burning a hole, buy a FJ-62 front axle and 4WD tranny with 2 gear driven cases. Do a pass side drop, easy with the 4Banger.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

the issue is going from NO car payment to having a car payment.

No money for beer, No money for fun.

Old 09-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Gee sounds like alot of fun. Potentaly you have the ability to build a better truck by SASin the 2WD truck.

If you got $$$ burning a hole, buy a FJ-62 front axle and 4WD tranny with 2 gear driven cases. Do a pass side drop, easy with the 4Banger.
now there ya go getting me going with the SAS!
very valid point. and i was definitely thinking about it, and i still kinda am.

i wouldnt say ive got money burning a hole in my pocket, but man i sure do like the Tacomas.

well lets figure this out... how much can i expect to pay for SASing my 2WD? i need a new tranny+ transfer case, marlin crawler case, axle, driveshafts, steering components, leaves, shocks, and of course the most important.... the ablility to WELD! (which i cant do) which means i would have to pay someone to do that, either a friend, or a shop. also i would need another vehicle while mine is being chopped up. gosh, thats a pretty hefty amount of work and hassle. i would be up to it if someone wanted to come out here and help me

-Casey
Old 09-29-2003, 07:51 PM

Don't do it

While it is exactly the "new truck" I would buy I wouldn't do it unless you have a lot of money laying around. For the price you will end up paying you can build up a 2nd gen extra cab pickup or 1st gen 4runner into a beast, which IMHO is the "best looking" and rugged generations. I would get a 1st gen 4runner, or extra cab and swap in a 3.4 liter and do all sorts of good stuff to it. For one you will be a heck of a lot more "off road" capable since you have a much stronger frame. Hell you could even get a expensive long travel ifs kit, and it would ride like a caddy you would still spend less than you would in the long run. Keep your current runner and find a project truck. That's what I would do anyway. Good luck
Old 09-29-2003, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Really great feedback on this, guys!
keep it comin! i wanna know what everyone thinks!

-Casey
Old 09-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's the logical engineer in me...don't get it. You're in college now and have other things to worry about than car payments. You don't want to have a car payment when you graduate, the job market isn't very good right now. You may be looking for a job for months after you graduate. Once you do get a good job you'll be rolling in the dough and then you can afford to get whatever you want.

I know how you feel, I really wanted a tacoma too when I graduated. I'm glad I didn't have a car payment to worry about, though. If anything, sell your 4runner and get a used taco or 4runner so that you won't go into debt.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:31 PM
Bud

or you could sell your truck and still buy a tacoma xcab 4x4.. a used one that is and not in knee deep in debts.

Just an idea...
Old 09-29-2003, 08:31 PM

i wouldnt try to sas your existing runner and then make it 4x4. if you want to wheel buy the taco and play. but being a college student as well i think i wouldnt get inot a car payment, i woudl prob just buy and ole pre 85 runner as a beater and play with that. and keep your runner.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Here's the logical engineer in me...don't get it. You're in college now and have other things to worry about than car payments. You don't want to have a car payment when you graduate, the job market isn't very good right now. You may be looking for a job for months after you graduate. Once you do get a good job you'll be rolling in the dough and then you can afford to get whatever you want.

I know how you feel, I really wanted a tacoma too when I graduated. I'm glad I didn't have a car payment to worry about, though. If anything, sell your 4runner and get a used taco or 4runner so that you won't go into debt.
AHH good advice right there! that just made me think of something else. well im in community college right now, so i have no idea where im gonna be transferring to next year. and its very possible that i wont be able to work at all, or if i do, i may not make enough for payments. so there we have it, i dont think im gonna get it (at least not for now). I really appreciate all the help and ideas u guys have given me!

BTW, anyone know the cost of me SASin the runner? could be a costly ordeal

-Casey
Old 09-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

BTW, anyone know the cost of me SASin the runner? could be a costly ordeal
Cost Karlton $7500 includeing what he paid Yogi to do the welding/install.

Your looking at 8K for a turn key, have someone else do it.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Cost Karlton $7500 includeing what he paid Yogi to do the welding/install.

Your looking at 8K for a turn key, have someone else do it.
GOOD GAWD! that is a grip o' cash

ok well now im lost, i have no idea what to do now
i feel like im gonna be stuck with 2WD for a while

-Casey
Old 09-29-2003, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

just buy an fj-62...and keep the runner thats paid fur....great idea steve

Last edited by its2slo; 09-29-2003 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going Tacoma