Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thinking about swapping bilsteins and PP spings for OME

Old 01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about swapping bilsteins and PP springs for OME

I know there are literally hundreds of existing suspension threads and I'm sure I've read them all but I would really appreciate some opinions.

I've been running my current setup for about 16 months now, and I think I want to change to OME. From what I've read on this forum it is a popular setup with very few complaints. Basically the reason for it is I want the additonal inch or so of height and I expect the shocks to be slightly more comfortable. I feel the bilsteins are a little too harsh. If anyone here has experienced both of these setups I would appreciate your input. I am interested in the OME HD's because of the TJM up front and tool box in back.
BTW, how is nose dive under normal braking with the HD OME's and TJM?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tstango,

If you're selling your current setup, a guy named Andreas over at 4x4 from MD was asking me alot of questions about this same set up (which I have too). I'm sure he'd be interested in hearing from you. I can pm you his email addy if you want it.

Bob
Old 01-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Sure, I have to ask a friend of mine if he is interested first but if not I would definitley sell for a good price.
BUT.....I'm still not totally sold on the idea of purchasing more stuff. How do you feel about the billy/PP combo?
I really wish I could just go for a ride in an OME fitted rig to compare.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Tim,
I have the OME Medium duty coils and shocks. I like them alot, especially the rear but If I had to do it again, I would get the SAW's just for the adjustability. When they wear a little and maybe start to sag, you can tweak them. It seems that you never know what you will get with spring manufacturers. I don't have 1" spacers and I don't think my front is that much lower than the rear. It is but I think I got 2" in front and a little over 2.5 in rear with those. Some got 1" with this setup so its a crap shoot! Get the saws and then save some more for the OME rear setup, if your budgeting. You could always run what you have in the rear now. Just my 2cents. Thanks for yours by the way
By the way Tim, I'm in RI near Westerly,RI/Stonington,CT border

Last edited by lbrunner; 01-12-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Ha! Nice! glad to help. There's def some good people on this forum. We'll have to meet up some time. I hear there are a few places to wheel in your area. There's not much around here.

Medium Duty might be alright for me too. I just don't want to spend that much money on the SAWS so I'm thinking OME all around. Do you have the shocks too? How about an aftermarket bumper?
Old 01-12-2004, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TStango
Ha! Nice! glad to help. There's def some good people on this forum. We'll have to meet up some time. I hear there are a few places to wheel in your area. There's not much around here.

Medium Duty might be alright for me too. I just don't want to spend that much money on the SAWS so I'm thinking OME all around. Do you have the shocks too? How about an aftermarket bumper?
Tim,
I have the shocks also but without a bumper. If I did get a bumper, I would definately need 1" spacers but if I used the spacer now, I think it would be a hair higher than level...maybe. I really like the ride though. It is stiff and I have a addco front bar but I can't see owning another 3rd without this setup or ultimatly the saws in front. I drove a stock 01 Limited with 50K on it and it was very squishy and had major body movement.
Not many places around here and I really don't have much time to find them but friends do know the places. One place sounded interesting. My friend got stuck in a locked Tacoma with 36's! Lots of mud!
Yeah, we should hook up sometime. I checked out RichP's 4runner in Mass once. Not many moded 4runners around here though so I would like to check out another. Pm me sometime and Thanks again! I'll let you know how I make out!