Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thinking about sliders. I got questions.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Nic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about sliders. I got questions.

I've searched and done all the reading I can stand on Sliders. I have been thinking about gettng some lately. I haven't totally made up my mind. I'm hoping you fellas can convince me to get some or talk me out of it.

Let me just say, I have no real reason to get them other than for mostly looks. I don't ever plan on touching a rock-not now anyway. Currently, I have some wimpy nerf bars that I really don't like.

I have been reluctant to get something welded on the frame, but I have been looking at pictures of sliders on everyones rigs and I really like them.

From my reading, many have recommended the Stubbs sliders. I know that the standard is a 30 degree and there is also a 15 degree. My truck is not lifted and is completely stock. From reading some threads here, I understand that sliders can interefere with future lifts, but I don't plan on lifting it.

What would be the best one? I like the 30 degree, but is there a problem with getting the 30 as opposed to the 15?

Other than that, I am concerned about getting someone competent enough to weld them on. Have most been able to get someone reliable enough to do the job at a decent price? Also, if anyone know a good welder in the area that would do it, that would be helpful.

Sorry this post is so long, but any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:30 PM

why waste $ on sliders if they are just for decoration?

I say just keep the nerfs, and use the money for beer. Or something important.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Nic

Let me clarify. I'm not saying I don't go off-road, I just don't get on rocks. I know these are really made for the purpose of getting on rocks, but they should also function as extra protection too.

I haven't totally committed to getting any yet.

Besides, I have almost completely quit drinking, so I gotta have something to spend my beer money on.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Go with Stubbs. Richard is a pleasure to do business with and his sliders are nothing short of perfect. He also has some, if not, the best prices on them as well. The 30 degree will of course slant the sliders upward closer to the body, and the 15 degree make them flatter so they can be used as a step as well. The only way sliders will be an issue with lifting is if you do a body lift, because they are frame mounted and when you lift the body from the frame you will notice the sliders stay put and create a gap between them and the body of the truck. I say go for it. For $200 it's well worth the money. You could sell your nerf bars and pay for them.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:20 AM

alabama eh? I'm sure Waskilly will chime in. He can probably connect you with somebody that welds, heck, he can probably even make sliders for you!
Old 05-28-2004, 04:49 AM

A question for those with Stubbs sliders and a 2nd gen (Doink?). Is it required to grind the pinch weld with them, or do the bars that are welded to the frame angle down slightly? Stubbs does seem to have good prices and a good web site.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Sliders

Originally Posted by Toyo_Runner96
alabama eh? I'm sure Waskilly will chime in. He can probably connect you with somebody that welds, heck, he can probably even make sliders for you!
You can check out my sliders on my website. Custom made from inspiration from several other types made. 2" x 3" main rails with 1 5/8" round tubing and a few other neat things thrown in there. They look good, can take the rocks should you decide to hit the rocks and I know a guy who'd gladly make you a set and weld them on for the price (probably less) of what you paid for those silly nerf bars.

Decatur is 1.5 hours from T-town, mabye a bit more. I'm assuming you got a 3rd genner so he could just make some like mine and then you drive down and he welds them on. Easy as pie!

Old 05-28-2004, 05:53 AM

Check out " allprooffroad.com" Had a cool set of univesal on my Ranger.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:54 AM

Nic,

Go with Bentup Sliders . They make two different kinda for your truck

here is a pic on a tacoma:

I hope this helps.

http://www.bentup.com/RockerSkids.html

http://www.bentup.com

Oh if you want to see how tuff they are, watch the streamming video:

http://www.toy4runner.com/videos/rock1.wmv

Aj makes some really good trail Armor.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:31 AM
Nic

Thanks for all the info.

Brian, I would be definitely be interested in your friend doing that if he would be willing. Tuscaloosa is not far off-maybe 2 hours tops from here. If he deosn't want to fab any, I would still be interested in having him weld some on if he was interested. If not, no big deal. I don't want to push myself on others. I was mainly looking for some information.

What you said about the nerf bars hurts, but its dead-on true. In my ignorance I got them. I didn't find this site soon enough. I think I may be able to sell them though and recover some of my money.

BTW, I have already seen your sliders from your post a while back and was really impressed. You have put a lot of time in your rig and it shows.

If you think your buddy might be interested in doing that, let me know. If not, no big deal.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:09 AM
Banned

Talking Willing

Originally Posted by Nic
Thanks for all the info.

Brian, I would be definitely be interested in your friend doing that if he would be willing. Tuscaloosa is not far off-maybe 2 hours tops from here. If he deosn't want to fab any, I would still be interested in having him weld some on if he was interested. If not, no big deal. I don't want to push myself on others. I was mainly looking for some information.

What you said about the nerf bars hurts, but its dead-on true. In my ignorance I got them. I didn't find this site soon enough. I think I may be able to sell them though and recover some of my money.

BTW, I have already seen your sliders from your post a while back and was really impressed. You have put a lot of time in your rig and it shows.

If you think your buddy might be interested in doing that, let me know. If not, no big deal.
I'm sure he'd be willing and more than interested as it would be some $$$ to fuel his other projects. Just let me know that you are serious and I'll talk to him and get you guys together!

Old 05-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

......now I want sliders!

Fink
Old 05-28-2004, 10:03 AM
lee
Contributing Member

well put.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:05 AM

guys watch the video? could you imagin doing that with no sliders? ok back to bed for me
Old 05-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Banned

Talking Sliders

My sliders took a beating at Tellico and other than some missing paint they passed with flying colors! I'd recommend them to anyone anytime and I paid for them in just one trip in what I saved as far as body damage I would have gotten. Gotta have them sliders!

Old 05-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Nic

Greg (Breezy) I watched the video. Very interesting. He whammed it pretty hard on that big rock. That would have been nasty without the sliders.

Brian, I am definitely interested. If you want to run that by your friend sometime I would appreciate it. I will send you a PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Isn't it better to have the sliders bolted on as opposed to welding due to possible frame bending but with bolts you'd have a break point and while that would incur possible body damage it's would be prefferable to a bent frame? Is bolt-on a better idea or is a bent frame unlikely?
Old 05-28-2004, 05:19 PM

Weld on is the best way to go. Bolt on is not as strong, so there is more of a chance breaking them, or bending them into the frame.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Banned

Talking Welding

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Isn't it better to have the sliders bolted on as opposed to welding due to possible frame bending but with bolts you'd have a break point and while that would incur possible body damage it's would be prefferable to a bent frame? Is bolt-on a better idea or is a bent frame unlikely?
I work in a fab shop and welds are a heck of a lot stronger than bolts. You put the sliders on the frame with a scab plate and spread out the loading and you are good to go, besides bolting into the frame puts a hole in it, thus weakening the frame and the load is taken by only the area of the bolts, which is going to be a lot smaller than the area of welded sliders using scab plates.

Welded is much better IMO! I'm sure I could do you a nice pretty calculation to prove it quite convincingly...