Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thinkin about sellin the rig

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinkin about sellin the rig

Don't worry I probably won't be leavin the 4Runner world...but there is a chance I will acquire a Chevy...Dad's orders. Here's the deal...

The Runner isn't the best for long travels, I have to go back and forth to my girlfriends softball games and once I get in college I will have to go back and forth to my games and others as well...its just not made for highway use.

So...first plan was for me to just get another car, preferably around a '94-'95 Honda Prelude that I could use as my DD. Well in my dads financial mind this just wasnt practical so then I came up with the idea, I really don't want to do this but it makes the most sense is to sell the 2nd gen and use that money towards a '99-'01 3rd gen that I can build up later on.

However, my dad also wants another car because right now he drives a 23' long Chevy Silverado extended cab long bed which in easy terms, is a PITA to park and bad on the gas.

So he was thinking about selling his truck, getting a car for him and then me getting a pickup. We can't really afford a Tundra and a Tacoma wouldn't be big enough for what we need it for so...the next, less preferable option is for me to get a '99-'02 Chevy Silverado and leave the Yota world completely...not so hot of an idea.

Anyway, my point in posting is to see what you all think I could get for my 2nd gen as of right now with everything in it.

You can go to the link in my sig and see what I've got in it to get an idea...

I'm hoping to get around 9ish for it...lemme know what you guys think!

Fink
Old 03-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

If you decide to sell it, I want that ARB.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:55 AM

Damn, I hate to see you lose your Runner dude. That thing is sick. I don't think you'll get $9K for it, honestly. How many miles are on it? I'm seeing 2nd gen Runners sell for so cheap lately. It sucks. I thought about selling mine, but I would lose so much money if I did. I might get $7K for it... Parting out some of the mods will make you a little more money, because you really won't get the money back for all the mods if you sell them with the truck.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:58 AM
lee
Contributing Member

wait, is it april fools day already??

no way, you gotta be kidding. thats like one of the best looking 2nd gens ive ever seen! sorry to hear of this.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs down

i agree with lee. that's just sick, man. i think the '95 is one of the best-looking years for runners, period, end of story. i don't dig 4th gen at all, i'm marginal on 3rd, i don't dig the 1st-gens either. if i weren't so attached to my truck and you so far away, i'd wanna seriously talk sale with you... however, ain't happenin' now that i've just dropped some serious bank on my truck. i'd hate for your great-looking rig to be all pieced apart back to stock, just because it's not really the best thing to drive on the road. is it *that* bad? i did read your list of mods, and you've done some serious love to that vehicle. i agree a little honda would be better for a DD, but sheesh...
Old 03-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

It's a really tough decision, but I think in the long run it will be better for me.

I won't be leaving the yota world though...I'll be getting a 3rd gen if I do anything for sure.

How much do you honestly think I could get out of it?

Its got around 140k on it...but I've done a lot of maintenance work to it so its running real well. The sound system alone is worth around 2 grand so I may end up taking that out and selling it off...and I've got a stock bumper that I could put back on if somebody was seriously interested in the ARB...but other than that...thats all I can really do. I don't have any other tires or wheels to put on so I can't sell those seperately.

I was hoping to get 9k for it as is...but I could settle for 8, anything less and I'm not sure if its worth it.

What do you all think I can honestly get for it as it is...?

Thanks for the responses and all the compliments,

Fink
Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Your dad would be much better off w/ a 99-02 Tundra unless he needs serious towing capability. My friends late 90's Chevy pick up is falling apart w/less than 100k mi, no kiddin'.

I would guess you could get ~$7k for your 4r.

Last edited by firemedic; 03-16-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:29 PM

I am seriously interested in your arb.. Very very interested..
jake
Old 03-16-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a 6 to 8k truck.

Mine is too.

Modified trucks are not worth much more and only fractionally what the mods cost. If you are lucky and can find an interested and knowing buyer, things might take an up tick, but that is still a pretty stock rig.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey fink...sorry to hear about losing the truck. Let me know what happens...I'd be interested in the ARB and the rims and tires. I know you were saying you don't have any wheels and tires to put on, but I'm down here in little rock so maybe we could work something out with my wheels and tires. I don't know just thinkin...let me know what you think
Old 03-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 4runner was ideal for me in college. You move at least twice a year for a couple years and the cargo area is the perfect size for all your stuff. I don't know what you're talking about when you say the 4runner isn't good for the highway.

I doubt you'll get 9k for it.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

The main reasons for me selling the 4runner are the gas mileage is now at 12mpg and its a pain to take on the highway because the 3L has a hard time pushin the tires and wheels and added weight of all the mods its hard to get it above 65 and the speed limit around here 75...I've tried, many times...its fine for short trips only going a couple exits but I go to Little Rock quite often (around a 3 and half to 4 hour trip depending on traffic) and theres no way it works for that...

I'd be happy to get 8k out of it, thats pretty good.

I just hope I can find the right buyer...this isnt even a sure thing yet. I may just end up keeping it and putting a new engine in it.

Thanks for all the comps and suggestions!

Fink
Old 03-17-2005, 07:06 PM

I get darn near 18 mpg with the 3.4, 5.29's and 33's.

I can cruise at 85 pretty easy and now pass people going up hill.

When I am running late, I tell the truck it is time to get up and run and we pass people all day. This is at 5k feet of elevation to boot.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I get darn near 18 mpg with the 3.4, 5.29's and 33's.

I can cruise at 85 pretty easy and now pass people going up hill.

When I am running late, I tell the truck it is time to get up and run and we pass people all day. This is at 5k feet of elevation to boot.
You know, you might even get better mileage with 35's, the RPM's will be lower. I get better mileage w/ 33's than 31's.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:36 PM

Yeah, and hopefully better still with 37's.

I rode in an SC'd 3.4 rig that would pull grades at 95 out here in 5th gear gaining speed. This engine is a winner for sure.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:01 PM

Remember he's running bigger tires with the stock gears and that could make it a little harder to get up to speed. Though Toyota engines are built like a tank and seem like they run forever, most know that they do get a little tired and that's a fact. Tired engine and bigger tires combined could make for a slow and inefficient truck.

My brother drives a 1993 4runner. I bought it for him on the East coast from a guy who owned it for it's whole life on the West coast and brought it to Maryland for one year. This thing was well taken care of, leveled in the rear with a set of Downey HD coils, and had 139K. He was aiming high for around $7,500. We got the truck for $6,500. I'm not saying that's what yours would go for but that's what an unmodified SR5 went for about a year ago and I thought that was worth it. If you do find a guy who does know what he's talking about he may value it and pay you some loot but that' s not always the easy way. I do wish you good luck in your endeavor though and I hope my input helps.

If you do sell the ARB, let me know!
Old 03-18-2005, 03:27 AM

33's with stock gears and the auto are not my picture of highway cruiser.

Good luck with spinning it off. Someone in the know may give you less since it is not geared, who knows.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:55 AM

I wouldn't get rid of it IMHO you'll regret it later.
Why not spend the money to regear it you'll save on gas down the road.
If you sell it you'll basically be back to square 1 trying to build a truck again spending way more money.
If that is your concern seriously think about it before you make a quick decision though.

Last edited by 934rnr; 03-18-2005 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey fink....never did hear if you decided to sell it or not. I was just wondering.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
33's with stock gears and the auto are not my picture of highway cruiser.
nope, definitely not...

Quick Reply: Thinkin about sellin the rig