Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Think I did any damage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think I did any damage?

I was kind of in a rush today and I had no choice but to park on a snow/ice covered spot. I didn't know there was ice under the snow at the time. Well, as I was pulling in, I drove over an ice berm and was stuck between the berm and the curb with my front wheel, and the back still kind of out in traffic. I would pull back and the back would still be out in traffic and when I would pull up, the ice forced me out into the street more. I put it in 4-lo while having the 4WD button switch on to overcome the traction control (so I believe) and I had to really give it some gas to move into place and to get down to the pavement. Well, it started to beep. I don't know about any other gens, but it was the same beep as the traction control when you are sliding or spinning a wheel. The 4 lo helped with the traction control not coming on every 3 seconds due to slippage, but it still came on and power cut out. I think I may have smelled something burning, but I doubt it. I do have a cold so couldn't smell that great anyway. Do you think I may have screwed up the gears a little? When I took it out of 4 lo and drove home I gave it some gas and noticed a "rubbing" or "grinding" sound that went away after the second time I gave it gas. Can anything maybe be toasted? I have 30,150 miles on it and I am going to change the fluids in the driveline when it warms up. Should I take it to get it done at a shop now, or can I hold out till March/April?
One thing that did make me feel good though.
The security guard at the hospital said that they had to call a tow truck earlier to pull out a Suburban I think he said, and an Explorer and that 2 people had been involved in accidents because when they broke free, they jumped out into traffic, and there was a third that was a near hit. Once I had my front left wheel on the snowy part I eased out though. not like these who had it floored the whole time I guess. This was with the stock Dunschlops that are well worn and soon to be replaced with REVOS if I can get Sears to get them for me with a discount. ($100 per tire installed and balanced)

Sorry for the long question, but I would like to know if I could have screwed anything up. I already ordered some Redline 75w90 today for when the weather warms.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 02-01-2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first error you made was using 4 low in the snow..low gears in the snow is a no no. It gives more power to the wheels making them spin and youll have no control. Traction control is helpful in the snow because it make even less of a chance of wheel spin. the rubbing and grinding was probably snow\ice on your breaks or wheel wells espicaly since it went away. The burning was well.. your tires were burning because you coudlnt get any traction and you kicked all the snow melted the ice and your tire..this probably wouldnt have happend as badly if you kept it in 4 hi you would have slipped but your tires wouldnt have spun as much and no rubber..your fine dont worry about it just a lesson we all learn in the snow
Old 02-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

I couldn't get anywhere in 4 hi. Everytime I would try to pull out to the left the berm would kick me back to the curb. I had no shovel or sand/gravel/salt to aide in getting out. I tried 4 hi and would slip right back once the traction control kicked in, even when I caught it with the brakes I would still slide. I just made my own little rut and drove on out. O well, I live and learn. Thanks.
So I am good till spring with the fluids I take it?

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 02-01-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldnt worry about it man.

Unless you have a 5spd and you were flooring it in 1st gear in 4lo - you should be fine.