Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Things to look out for in a used Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to look out for in a used Tacoma

I am looking to purchase an auto V-6 double-cab Tacoma (2-wd most likely) in the next few months. Are there any consistent problems that plague these trucks. Anything I should be careful of?

What extra goodies come with the TRD package?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Since you want a double cab, then you are looking for a 00+ right?

The TRD package (since its 2wd it will also need to be a pre runner) comes with:
fender flares
bilstein shocks
RR locking diff

That's all I can think of right now, anyone want to add to that list?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by SLC Punk
Since you want a double cab, then you are looking for a 00+ right?

The TRD package (since its 2wd it will also need to be a pre runner) comes with:
fender flares
bilstein shocks
RR locking diff

That's all I can think of right now, anyone want to add to that list?

Ok, I thought they came with bil's too, but when we lifted my buddies '03 Taco w/TRD, it had kyb's on it...no bills.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
Ok, I thought they came with bil's too, but when we lifted my buddies '03 Taco w/TRD, it had kyb's on it...no bills.
Really!?!? I thought that was one of the major TRD selling points. Maybe his was built late on a Friday and they ran out of bil's
Old 10-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Ok here is what toyota.com says:

TRD Off-Road Package -- includes off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein® high-pressure gas shocks, P265/70R16 BFGoodrich tires with solid white lettering on 16" 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheels, locking rear differential, fender flares and TRD graphics
Old 10-20-2003, 11:42 AM

You sure you want two-wheel drive??

Why not go with a four-wheel drive instead??
Old 10-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

double cab TRD has different shocks than bilstein. Double cabs come with Tokico shocks. I don't know anything about them.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by KING
You sure you want two-wheel drive??

Why not go with a four-wheel drive instead??

I was thinking 4-wd would be more on the insurance...?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by STiTkacik
I doubt it. It's a pickup truck anyway. It'll be a lot cheaper than a 4Runner. Crap, an F150 Lightning is cheaper than a 4Runner because it's "just a pickup truck." Go figure...
Old 10-20-2003, 06:13 PM

i looked at several tacoma's before i bought mine, here are a few tips:

1. if it has a TRD sticker on the side check for the bilsteins(or tokico's) and the rear locker. There are lots of wannabe's running around.

2. Check for mud and dirt, i drove a nice looking trd ex cab, but upon close inspection i found mud everywhere, including inside the airbox, which led me to believe it had been submerged.

3. Shop around for a good deal, i ended up buying my truck up north where i am from and would have paid $2500 more for the same truck down here.

i guess that's all i have for now!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:04 PM

Thanks for all of the replies so far...

First of all, this will be the first Toyota (or truck for that matter) I have ever purchased. I have been a Subaru guy since birth. Haven't ever owned or tinkered with anything else. So please excuse any "dumb" questions I may have

How are these cars to work on? With my latest Impreza, I did most of the work myself... Are these trucks relatively user friendly?

Thanks for the tips wilddave. I probably never would have thought to check for mud in the airbox...
Old 10-20-2003, 08:21 PM

If it is, its not going to be much. Like someone else said, after all, its a pick-up truck..

From personal experience, I would never own a two-wheel drive truck ever in my life (I haven't owned one but I've been in them and they limit you from what you can do with a four-wheel drive, it's so frustrating).

Also, if for some reason you can't check the inside for the TRD locker switch, look at the rear differential. If the drain plug is on the driver said, it has the TRD locker, if the drain plug is on the passenger side, it doesn't have the TRD locker.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:01 AM

that's funny, i was a subaru guy too! I have a nice 99 2.5rs i am trying to sell.

this too is my first truck and first toyota! I am enjoying it so far!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by wilddave
that's funny, i was a subaru guy too! I have a nice 99 2.5rs i am trying to sell.

this too is my first truck and first toyota! I am enjoying it so far!
Ha ha. Small world. I'm trying to sell my 95 AWD L.

Putting it in the AutoTrader in a few days...

Anyone else have anymore tips?
Old 10-21-2003, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all of the replies so far...

First of all, this will be the first Toyota (or truck for that matter) I have ever purchased. I have been a Subaru guy since birth. Haven't ever owned or tinkered with anything else. So please excuse any "dumb" questions I may have

How are these cars to work on? With my latest Impreza, I did most of the work myself... Are these trucks relatively user friendly?

Thanks for the tips wilddave. I probably never would have thought to check for mud in the airbox...
I also used to be a Subaru guy! I will say that you should definitely consider a 4WD if you're coming from a Subee AWD. I'm not sure what kind of winter driving you'll be in for, probably not much for GA! But my old GL (back in 4wd subaru days) was a tank with hi and low ranges. I never got stuck unless i just didn't have the clearance. I would say that changing over to a 2wd truck would be a HUGE step backward in your ability to go places. rear-wheel drive vehicles are notorious for slipping and spinning and being generally useless and dangerous on slick roads. Especially a light truck where there is even less weight in the back. Where as a 4wd truck would be a HUGE step forward from the Subaru, while it's in 4WD of course. Just something to consider. You might save a penny now, but regret it in the future.... Like the TV commercial says, "if you're gonna go, go all out."

As for working on, I haven't gotten dirty with the toyota yet. I haven't had to! But I pulled the engine in and out of the old GL several times for clutches and engine replacements. Changed CV joints, too. IT was certainly relatively easy since I'm not an auto guru, just fairly handy with tools and able to follow directions. I would say that the newer Toyotas will not be as easy as an older Subaru.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 10-21-2003 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
I also used to be a Subaru guy! I will say that you should definitely consider a 4WD if you're coming from a Subee AWD. I'm not sure what kind of winter driving you'll be in for, probably not much for GA! But my old GL (back in 4wd subaru days) was a tank with hi and low ranges. I never got stuck unless i just didn't have the clearance. I would say that changing over to a 2wd truck would be a HUGE step backward in your ability to go places. rear-wheel drive vehicles are notorious for slipping and spinning and being generally useless and dangerous on slick roads. Especially a light truck where there is even less weight in the back. Where as a 4wd truck would be a HUGE step forward from the Subaru, while it's in 4WD of course. Just something to consider. You might save a penny now, but regret it in the future.... Like the TV commercial says, "if you're gonna go, go all out."

As for working on, I haven't gotten dirty with the toyota yet. I haven't had to! But I pulled the engine in and out of the old GL several times for clutches and engine replacements. Changed CV joints, too. IT was certainly relatively easy since I'm not an auto guru, just fairly handy with tools and able to follow directions. I would say that the newer Toyotas will not be as easy as an older Subaru.
Heh, I have an 87 Loyale... No 4-wd though. I'll have to think a little more about the 2-wd and 4-wd debate. If Subaru made a truck I would buy it. NO, the Baja is NOT a truck

I hear the TRD locker can get you out of most situations just fine. Any truth to this?
Old 10-21-2003, 03:07 PM

Wow! Talk about a small world. I think I met you at a subie/i-club (err...now nasioc...) meet at Troncalli a couple of years ago. Sorry to hear that the L is going.

James
Old 10-21-2003, 04:33 PM

Good luck with the Taco, but your gonna havta change your avitar!
<------------------------------------------------------------------------ lol!
SERENITY NOW!!!

j/k you can keep it
Old 10-21-2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by AmSFighter
Wow! Talk about a small world. I think I met you at a subie/i-club (err...now nasioc...) meet at Troncalli a couple of years ago. Sorry to hear that the L is going.

James
Yep, you sure did. Ha ha ha, weird. Mmmmm STi. Nice choice

So, TRD locker, enough for a sticky situation, or is 4-wd best?
Old 10-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JSharp
I doubt it. It's a pickup truck anyway. It'll be a lot cheaper than a 4Runner. Crap, an F150 Lightning is cheaper than a 4Runner because it's "just a pickup truck." Go figure...
I really hate to hijack this thread but...Are you sure a pickup truck will be less on insurance than a 4runner? This is very interesting. I'm thinking about a taco next instead of a 4runner and less insurance is always good in my book. Hell my insurance on mine right now is $209 a month. Talk about outrageous. Thats for a 19 yr old guy on my dad's plan and that doesn't include my speeding ticket.

I'm thinking that I will have to start a taco thread with some ?s here pretty soon.

Quick Reply: Things to look out for in a used Tacoma