95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

These dang stupid idiot thief?s!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These dang stupid idiot thief?s!

Well I came out this morning to find this:

Needless to say I am not happy. I would have given them the sub and Amp if they had just asked (well ok I would have given them a .45 but it is a figure of speech). Replacing the window is costing me $230, better than I thought it would be, USAA gives a discount if you go through them, but my deducible is $1000 so it is all out of my pocket. The thing that really ticks me off is that they took my tool box. It had over $500 worth of tools and other goodies in it that will take me forever to replace! And then the way the ripped out the paneling to get the amp out (and I had just got all the wires run nice and neat..).

The cop said that they had a string of these on Halloween but that doesn?t really answer mine. Funny thing is that this is the first problem in my area in 3 years like this. I know it wasn?t a neighbor as they are all old people and the rest are either friends or would not care.

Whoever did it had some muscle. I don?t think the pictures got it but after looking at it I saw that whatever they had used to break the window hit the side of the frame and it took a chunk out of it, and big ole dent and tore up the weather stripping as well.

Well that is what happened, now for what to do. First off I need a 2000 4runner rear driver side panel in TAN. If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know.

Then I need to find a good security system installer in my area or find out how to do it myself (yes, I know if they want it they will get it. I want to make it as hard as possible next time). I then need to get to work designing my cargo box, that way I can at least keep all my tool and stuff safe and I am thinking I might build in my sub and amp into it next time. And anyone that knows how secure in the stock security system as far as stealing the truck? Obviously It does no good to stop someone from robbing it. Does the chip in the key thing really work where they won?t be hot wiring it or is that just a myth?

And does anyone know what that tube in the fender is for? Looks like some kinda drain line?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough break buddy, sorry for your trouble. Were you home when it happened?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:06 PM

I think I would just let the insurance take care of it. It's probably not worth the hassel of trying to find everything. I have a question though, Did you somehow disable your security on your Limited, or did they never open any of the doors? Because on mine if your doors are locked and then opened from the inside without unlocking, the alarm goes off? Just wondering? And yes the thing in the key does work. I have a key without it and it does nothing but open the doors. Good luck getting it back together.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Tough break buddy, sorry for your trouble. Were you home when it happened?
Yeah, in fact there was only a few hours they could have done it as I was cleaning the garage until late and got out there early. Of course this is the one night that my dogs were in the house.

Originally Posted by frodin1
I think I would just let the insurance take care of it. It's probably not worth the hassel of trying to find everything. I have a question though, Did you somehow disable your security on your Limited, or did they never open any of the doors? Because on mine if your doors are locked and then opened from the inside without unlocking, the alarm goes off? Just wondering? And yes the thing in the key does work. I have a key without it and it does nothing but open the doors. Good luck getting it back together.
Well I have to worry about as my decutable is $1000 and it will not be near that much to fix it. All I really need to fix the truck is the panel for the rear. The window will be replaced tomorrow and the dent on it should be as well. So that takes care of all the damage, then it is just the re buying the stuff. That just takes time.

And no the security system was indeed on, I saw it and after looking at it tried to open the rear door and it starts going off. They just never opened any doors, they knew what they were doing.

And yeah I know the key thing works in theory as I have also tried it with a no programmed key, what I am wondering is if it is really a joke that someone that knows what he is doing can just bypass or if that really is something that makes hijacking my car almost impossible without a tow truck.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Damn dude, I'm really sorry to read about this. This is one of those few things that really infuriates me. Crazy word, I know, but it's true. You can definitely get that stuff cheaper than your deductible. Don't even bother with that. I sell insurance and it will be more hassle to file the claim and then be told it's less than your deductible. Just browse CL and you'll find some great deals. In a week, it'll all be old news and you'll be more prepared. I'm working on getting a kill switch or 2 in my truck and I put a sub in there and put 6 (yes, 6) bolts in it to hold it to the floor. The sub box is all sealed so no subs are showing and if anyone tries to steal it, they will be in for a lot of work and will most likely destroy the box while trying to steal it. That's really all you can do. Make it hell for them to steal your junk.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is why I never leave anything unlocked, open or visible inside or outside the vehicle.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that sucks dude, I hope that they rot in hell.

I've always found that the best way to keep people from breaking in to your car is to not give them any reason to look twice at your ride (ie, don't have a really nice/expensive stereo, don't leave tools or any other expensive looking stuff in your truck, or in sight anyways, I am totally guilty of doing all of this at one point in time, i think that there is probably at least $100 worth of tools in my truck as I type), but: I don't think they will risk jail or worse to get my god-knows-how-old kenwood tape player!

not to be a douche or anything, and I'm not trying to dog you on your 4runner, but just look at it man, how could they pass that up? You've got the stickers, the fancy tail lights, the little fog/backup lights, that is the stuff they look for, because those kinds of cars/trucks are more likely to have a bunch of stereo stuff they can jack,

You might as well be driving a honda civic with a body kit and decals all over it saying what brand of stereo equipment you have, and a "powered by acura integra GSR" windshield visor sticker,

I feel bad for you dude, i truly do, my old room mate had his civic broken into almost once a month the whole six months I lived there, and the whole time my old truck was sitting right next to it with a stereo worth 3x as much as his, but it wasn't visible, and my truck was much harder to break into.

I guess that the best way to look at it is, at least they didn't steal the whole truck, and total it or something, I know people who have had that happen more than once

And for the guy who said that they knew what they were doing-
If they knew what they were doing, the 4runner woud have either been gone, or sitting on the ground with anything that could be removed taken off (ie all of the lights and other stuff that would be incredibly easy to remove and sell) I saw some video years ago that showed 4 or 5 guys with out power tools take a car down to almost nothing in less than 2 hours, scary

These were probably just stupid kids (they probably only knew not to open the doors from a previous experience where the alarm went off) trying to get some free crap

You should get your deductable lowered, $1000 is too much, I've always done $500, just a thought

I'm sorry for the long post, and I hope everything gets better soon, and if you ever want to know how easy it is to break into your car, just lock the keys in there and call a locksmith, I've never seen one take longer than two minutes to get a door open (on a toyota truck anyways ) I think that the last time I had to call one, it took him about 3 seconds, and I am not exaggerating at all, it took me longer to write down my insurance policy number and sign the reciept (next time I lock the keys in there, I will be sure to grab my stopwatch first)

If you catch the guys, be sure to rip thier b@lls off
Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Dude that sucks, I hate stuff like that. I hope they find those punks!!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

Man I feel for you...I had my Jeep broken into when I was in school and had my Alpine stolen, but what really ticked me off was that they broke the window and tore up my dash. Thus I know how you feel and I would not wish that on anyone.

I have a question...I know you are in DFW...but where....the reason I ask is the lady across the street from my Grandmother had her car stolen out of her driveway in broad daylight....yesterday NOV 1st. Just curious as to what neighborhood you were in.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 PM

Sorry to hear man..I have been on the receiving end of thievery before and know what your going through..

Good luck..
Old 11-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
And does anyone know what that tube in the fender is for? Looks like some kinda drain line?

That is the drain for your sunroof. There are actually 4 total, one through each "A" pillar, and one through each quarter panel. If you take your pass side trim off, you will see one there.

Its actually a good idea to clean those out from time to time so they dont get clogged and cause your sunroof to leak.

Sucks about your 4Runner too. If anyone broke into my babies, i would be severly pissed.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 PM

that sucks
keep checking the pawn shops for your tools and call them.

I got a engraver and put my name on every tool I have, when I lived in the city I alway backed into the driveway that way the back door and window where not as easy to access.
how far from the side walk was your truck?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Damn dude, I'm really sorry to read about this. This is one of those few things that really infuriates me. Crazy word, I know, but it's true. You can definitely get that stuff cheaper than your deductible. Don't even bother with that. I sell insurance and it will be more hassle to file the claim and then be told it's less than your deductible. Just browse CL and you'll find some great deals. In a week, it'll all be old news and you'll be more prepared. I'm working on getting a kill switch or 2 in my truck and I put a sub in there and put 6 (yes, 6) bolts in it to hold it to the floor. The sub box is all sealed so no subs are showing and if anyone tries to steal it, they will be in for a lot of work and will most likely destroy the box while trying to steal it. That's really all you can do. Make it hell for them to steal your junk.
I had a friend that did this with he jeep. He bolted down EVERYTHING, there was really nothing you could steel, becuase it was all bolted or welded down... after thieves tried to steal his things and were unable too, they smashed EVERY window and lit it on fire.

It was a total loss. We thought it would be funny because they would not be able to steal anything... turns out not so much.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know what else to say dude rather than I'm sorry, at least everybody here understands where you're coming from.

Me and my 12 gauge will be on the lookout if any of the culprits decide to head east well i don't own a 12 gauge, but my airsoft rifle and i will be on the lookout, how about that? those things can poke a friggin eye out
Old 11-03-2007, 04:55 AM

as far bolting everything dowm, I'd rather they take what they want and get the he!! out. I 'd rather them do this then sit there destroying my truck trying to get something out of it. My friend locked he faceplate in the glovebox and they destroyed the dash to get into that glovebox to see what was locked inside. Afterwards he wished he left it unlocked so they could have just opened it.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:23 AM

i really hate thieves. someone broke into my moms old truck, a,d probably got scared at the last minute or something. when we went out in the morning to start it (a 1981 yota 4wd) the window was smashed, the cassette player was gone, and the key cylinder was just about out. the cops said something must have scared the thief away, cuz he/she just about had the truck. oh yeah, dash was shredded too around the stereo. a thief tried getting my truck last time i visited my cousin. we were chillin in his room using a certain green illegal substance (yeah yeah, lemme alone) and suddenly heard a crash. so we looked out the window, and lo and behold, a guy was openin the door of my truck. i grabbed his 50 cal, and went out there to meet him. guy didnt even here me comin up until i cocked it back. he turned around and probably had his life flash before his eyes. i know i would if i had that big of a gun pointed almost point blank at me. anyway i held him there until the cops got there. parents pressed charges, and i got a new stereo and a tint. (this wasnt with my yota, was with the chevy, sorry to clear that up now). x2 on checking pawn shops, good luck

Last edited by ozziesironmanoffroad; 11-03-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:30 AM

I see you have USAA car insurance.
Do you have Homeowners?
My father-in-law had his break-in covered under the homeowners insurance due to the truck being parked in the driveway.
Don't know if it helps but, what can it hurt.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, Everything in my Jeep is now easily removable...if I take my hardtop off I remove my rear speakers, faceplate, CB etc.

The best thing to do is make it stealth. In my 4Runner I have over $600 in just my front and rear component speakers (Focals). They all have the stock grills and my Amp is hidden under my seat. I adapted the stock head unit to work with everything and it sounds great. My CD changer is under the seat and my iPod hides in the console. Everything looks stock, but doesn't sound stock.

Subs are hard to hide in a 4Runner though....so I just spent more on my front and rear speakers, and made them all 6 3/4"....they have such great base response, you would think I had a sub. Also, if you have alot of "Bling" on your car, or like to play your sub real loud...you will be a target. I have heard of thieves hearing a system bumping and following the person to see where the live.

As far as alarms go...you need a glass break sensor, a back up battery (for the Alarm), and a hood lock for your best chance. Alarms will not protect your stuff inside if they have any time at all and can disable it...they will save your vehicle if the ignition kill is installed correctly. Alarm heads and ignition kills must be hidden, undetectable, and appear to be part of the factory wire harness to be effective and hard to disable or bypass.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 11-03-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by b.miller123
I don't think they will risk jail or worse to get my god-knows-how-old kenwood tape player!
You are seriously underestimating the willpower of a crack-head.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25

The best thing to do is make it stealth...Subs are hard to hide in a 4Runner though....so I just spent more on my front and rear speakers, and made them all 6 3/4"....
I have 2 JL 12's sitting in my spare bedroom because I can see this type of thing happening to my truck. I think this is the only stealth setup i'd be comfortable with. Looks totally stock:
Attached Thumbnails These dang stupid idiot thief?s!-runner3.jpg  

Quick Reply: These dang stupid idiot thief?s!