Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which of these 3 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which of these 3 tires?

I've put off buying tires for my 01 4runner as long as I could but now its time to decide and buy. I've researched and researched and researched and I believe I've got it down to bfg at's, bridgstone dueler at revos, and yokohama at's.
I'm going to go up from the stock 70's to the 75's because who doesn't want bigger tires on a 4runner? I'm going with an at for weekend trail runs and deer hunting trips(they will be needed) but I need something that won't wear out real fast and will have good grip in rain and snow through the entire life of the tire.
So which of the 3 do you think would be the best choice and why?
And if you want to reccomend another tire thats within the same price range go for it.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my BFG KO's for an all around long lasting tire there great but for mud I would rather have the MT's KO's just don't self clean very well.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
This has been posted a few times in the past couple months- maybe years, I forget as they were probably searched by me I've done some researching myself, and I'm up for new tires in about 5,000-10,000 miles. I'm pretty sure I'm settled on the yokohama ats (not II's!) as the reports I've read are exactly what I'm looking for. The only thing that turns me away from the BFGs are that I've heard they should be aired down a bit on the highway or they'll be loud and harsh. That's from my dad in an F150 though... Everything considered, I'll probably go with the better deal at the time I find them...
Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 PM

I've had BF AT KO's and Revos. For looks, get the BF's. If you're doing much wet/snow driving, get the Revos. They both wear like iron, but overall I preferred the Revos to the BF's. I wish I could afford to be in your predicament!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Contributing Member

Your location would help a lot with replies and opinions.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by 4biker
I've had BF AT KO's and Revos. For looks, get the BF's. If you're doing much wet/snow driving, get the Revos. They both wear like iron!
I agree!...Revos for wet/snow and BF's for looks and are a little better off-road in my opinion. I went for Revos just because of reviews I've read and my lifestyle/climate. They aren't bad off-road just don't do as well in mud, but will take you everywhere else.

Make sure you rotate...!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:40 AM

Nittos - Terra grapplers! That is my next tire from BFG's.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:56 AM

BFG makes the best all terrain, but the Yoko is very good. I know a lot of people who love those tires. Don't know much about the Revo's.

I went with Mud Terrains, so my opinion is biased. My customers really like the BFG or Yoko's though. If you want quite, go yoko.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 AM

I have only tried the Revos and like them a lot. Very good handling in rain and snow (compared to my old crap tires). BFG ATs do have a more aggressive look but I stayed away from them due to negative comments on wetweather handling.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:02 AM

I absolutely love my Toyo ATs
Old 06-13-2007, 09:11 AM

I have the Duler AT Revos (31x10.50x15) Great tires,great wear and do very well offroad for AT's. The stick to the road like glue and they are quiet!
When I purchased these tires they were rated #1 on Tire rack.com.
They track great in the rain and are very predictible.
The only negative is that they don't have any sizes bigger than 31's(at least at the time)
Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all terrain bfg's are great,i cant stop loving them especialy if you have to deal with snow storms,insane in winter. and they dont make noise.its my second pair and i love hem.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Once you go BFG, you'll never turn back!

I myself own a pair of the BFG's and am in love. I had the Dueller HT's before and those were lousy tires for anything and everything, they were simply an "economical" tire and made noise and sucked terribly off road (these were not the Revo's, the model just under the revo). Now that I have my BFG's I will probably never turn away...I love the handling, comfort and feel of the BFG because it feels like a truck tire and grips awesome on dirt. My braking and handling capabilities went way up from my last tires especially on dirt. When I look at the Revo's I just don't see an aggressive design at all and I can't see them gripping as well on the dirt. However, the BFG's do great in rain and wet conditions they suck going through puddles because they hydro plain kind of easy (nothing unpredictable or terrible). So if you are a street beater and don't care about the dirt at all I would probably go with the Revo because they channel water better, but for all other applications I can't see why or how the Revo beats the BFG...

Responding to the BFG's being loud on the highway...not at all, I can hardly tell they are there at all speeds unless you leave the assphault and hit concrete, at that point you will hear any tire. I feel that if you think the BFG AT's are too loud they are probably wearing uneavenly due to whatever suspension/allignment issues you may have or you just need to trade your 4Runner in and buy a Volvo SUV or Cadillac...

Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
This has been posted a few times in the past couple months- maybe years, I forget as they were probably searched by me I've done some researching myself, and I'm up for new tires in about 5,000-10,000 miles. I'm pretty sure I'm settled on the yokohama ats (not II's!) as the reports I've read are exactly what I'm looking for. The only thing that turns me away from the BFGs are that I've heard they should be aired down a bit on the highway or they'll be loud and harsh. That's from my dad in an F150 though... Everything considered, I'll probably go with the better deal at the time I find them...

Last edited by Joshs98Runner; 06-13-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

I love my BFG A/T's as well; although the only other tires I have run on the 4Runner are Big-O M/T's, so I don't have much to compare to.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having experience with both BFG A/T's and Revo's, I would say that I have been mostly disappointed with the Revo's overall performance.

I got these Revos with my new-to-me 4Runner at about 50% tread, and I have to say they have been nothing but disappointing in snow, dirt, mud, and rocks. They seem to still perform marginally in the rain. Basically, the Revo's performance is severely degraded once they don't have 100% tread any more, while all BFG A/T's I have owned have performed down to the last bit of tread.

When I get new tires at the end of the summer, I'll be getting BFG A/T's and never looking back. They are quiet (enough), perform far better than a Revo off-road, and last a long time as long as you keep them properly inflated and rotate regularly.

My .02
Old 06-13-2007, 10:30 AM

The BFG looks better, but I think the Revo is better on-road. I think the BFG is also a harder compound than the Revo, based on my experiences with both in rocks here in AZ.

I would say if you don't have a lot of rocks, with really sharp biting edges, get the Revo's, if you do, get the BFG.

But it is difficult, because the BFG looks so good, and the Revo looks so plain...
Old 06-13-2007, 10:47 AM

Got my vote for BFG. I've had several Muds & AT's on different vehicles and I've been very happy with them. My friends have had Toyo's because of the tire dealer close to his home, they too have switched because of a lack of tire life. My .02
Old 06-13-2007, 10:58 AM

I think I'll try Cooper Discoverer ATR's...have them on my company truck (GMC Sierra)...smooth ride fairly agressive tread design...31x10.5x15...$131ea mounted and balanced.

Last edited by mike92runnerSR5; 06-15-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:58 AM

I had the Yokohamas AT +IIs on my old GMC Sierra and I liked them a lot. They were mostly used for city and highway driving plus washboard roads, rocky trails, etc. They were good all around in my limited experience. I did get some scrapes on the sidewall and they held up well. I think they look pretty slick too although the 285/75s I had appeared a bit more rounded on the sidewall than some of the BFGs I have seen. I would buy them again whan I finally wear out these street tires I am currently running.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:58 AM

I've had REVO's and Yoko Geolanders II now. The Yoko AT looks like a street tire? I might be looking at the wrong tire. I wish I would have paid the extra cash and got the REVO's the 2nd time.

I have never been impressed with the BFG on jeeps and pick-ups I have been around. I also had MTs on my Jeep when two of my friends had BFG ATs. They would have to put it in 4 hi to go through a big puddle. All three jeeps were 33 inch by 15. This was in the lowcountry of SC where mud is a beast and never-ending. I've had the REVO off road and I thought they performed better in dirt/mud than they looked like they would. Personally I wouldn't buy an AT tire b/c of how they performed on dirt. If dirt/mud performance is that important then you should buy an MT tire.

But both are still AT tires so I really doubt there would be much difference between the two on dirt/mud. Dozens of people can account for the difference in rain and snow though. The REVO kicks in snow and especially rain and I am in snow A TON. Both of these tires I had in 265/75/16 size. Got 50 K miles out of the REVO's and it looks like a little less out of the Yoko's. There is reason they are 200$$ less.

Quick Reply: Which of these 3 tires?