Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is there OBD II scan/diagnostic software for laptops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there OBD II scan/diagnostic software for laptops?

For my Audi I can use my laptop to plug directly into the OBD II port, with a usb to OBD II cable, to read/clear any trouble codes as well as turn on/off daytime running lights, windows up/down with remote, doors auto lock above 15mph...etc. The software is specific to Volkswagen/Audi/Seat/Skoda.

I'd rather not buy another scan tool if I don't have to. Anyone using or know of a software app to use by laptop? Also, what about a flash programmer? Any flash programmers available or strictly send in the ECU to a company like JET and they desolder.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM

There are plenty of companies that make diagnostic software for OBD compliant vehicles. If the cable you already have is for OBD2 then it should work with any OBD2 vehicle. In fact Im not sure why the software wouldnt as well. I am currently looking into some products from Palmer Performance.
http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/index.php

Im not so sure about turning on off DRL, etc with it though. Thats something I never considered doing. You could also look into getting yourself a good OBD scan tool. Most of the nicer units come with software for your PC. A scantool will work on any OBD2 and sometimes OBD1 (for the nicer units) vehicle. Id say they are worth investing in. I have a scan tool built into my truck so I dont need it, but I have considered getting one anyway. They have a few more functions than mine does, and Im always getting frieds asking me to help with car troubles.

If you find something software wise, post up and let us know. Id be interested to see what else is out there.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 PM

Yeah, I had Googled it and found a few of them...just curious if anyone here had first hand experience with any or if any were more Toyota specific and not generic. I'm not interested in turning off DRL's I was just using that as an example that the Audi software is very robust in giving the user options. From the factory you can't roll down your windows with your key remote but with the software you can enable options otherwise not available. Also, I don't have DRL's in the Audi but with the software I just enable it so the fog lights act like DRL's. The headlights are auto sensing so they turn on at dark...well it just tells the same sensor to turn on the fog's during the day.

I think with my existing Audi software I can at least still pull codes for check engine lights, but you kind of have to know the software to find the right info...not really meant to interface with non Volks/Audi/Skoda/Seat vehicles.

For my Ford Exploder I had a handheld scan tool / flash loader. It worked as a scan tool and I could load different performance programs to the ECU such as "Torque 91" for towing/91 octane, "Performance 91", "Performance 87" and "Return To Factory"...didn't know if anything like that existed for Toyota as well. You could just flash the ECU instead of having to send it in and de-solder the EPROM and then some company (JET) reprogram it and re-solder it back into the ECU...the flash loader is much nicer and more convenient.

Last edited by Uisge Beathe; 06-09-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 AM

Well let us know what you find. I would certainly be interested in what available.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Uisge Beathe
I think with my existing Audi software I can at least still pull codes for check engine lights, but you kind of have to know the software to find the right info...not really meant to interface with non Volks/Audi/Skoda/Seat vehicles.
I'm in the same boat as you with the Rosstech software (I have an '00 S4).

My understading is that VAG can pull regular OBD II codes, but you need to have the serial interface for it to work (I have the USB, hence, no workie).

I haven't seen anything specific to Yotas for software, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet either.

Just a few options that I was looking at:
http://www.scantool.net/
http://www.myscantool.com/

-batsoff
00 4Runner Highlander Edition
Old 06-10-2009, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the BR-3: http://www.obddiagnostics.com/

The interface is a little archaic, but it was cheap ($100) and it does everything I need it to. I use a Serial-to-USB converter to plug it into my laptop. URD used to sell it, but it looks like they don't any more.

Last edited by mastacox; 06-10-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:12 AM

Here is the one that I was looking at getting. They have a few brand specific programs now. http://www.auterraweb.com/

Last edited by Jerm; 06-10-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:36 PM

does the BR3 show MAF info.....like what percentage the MAF is at during different rpms....i need a program that will monitor that im having problems with my supercharger over 4k and i would like this software to monitor it but i would like to make sure i can see the MAF info before buying it.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by b18vteceg
does the BR3 show MAF info.....like what percentage the MAF is at during different rpms....i need a program that will monitor that im having problems with my supercharger over 4k and i would like this software to monitor it but i would like to make sure i can see the MAF info before buying it.
I have the PLX DM100/OBD and it will display this information on the gauge. Not in percent but in Volts. Why is the MAF your first concern? Did you clean it?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
I use the BR-3: http://www.obddiagnostics.com/

The interface is a little archaic, but it was cheap ($100) and it does everything I need it to. I use a Serial-to-USB converter to plug it into my laptop. URD used to sell it, but it looks like they don't any more.
Does your cable allow you to use different software?