Old 04-02-2011, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theives stole my Converter!

98 4 Runner - California
2.7L
4WD
Manual Tranny
160,000 miles

Time to get the 4 Runner smogged... So I go to start it...battery dead. I jump it and it fires up. LOUD. Sounds like an open exhaust....so I look under...and the catalytic converter is GONE. Thieves chopped it out with a Sawzall or hacksaw. Right in my driveway! AT least they unbolted the back bolts, and cut the exhaust behind the O2 front sensor...so both my O2 sensors are still intact.

The timing could not be worse on this..as I have to get it smogged ASAP. I talked to a muffler/exhaust shop, and they said I HAD to use an OEM Converter. The Tech said it had something to do with the 4WD version of this year not being listed on the EO document with CARB. If the smog inspector notes the EO number...it wont match the model. Of course he acknowledged that was just for Catco and MagnaFlow...

So I went and searched the CARB records. Found this Document:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...xemptcat09.pdf

It refers to the specific Executive Order docs for converters, and the vehicles they are approved for.

It looks like Walker has a model that is approved. I selected D-182-47/12-16-09, and opened up the linked document. On page 34 of the Appendix for that EO document, it lists the 98 4-Runner 2.7 with Engine Test Group WTYXT02.7BBP. It this Cat Converter Legal to use as a replacement? How do I know my engine is covered by this test group? This is THE Executive Order Doc...and it does not differentiate between 4WD and 2WD like the muffler shop tech said it did.

Will there be any issues with getting it welded back up where the thieves cut it out (about 1" behind the O2 sensor..and 5" in front of the converter)

I was also told by the smog shop that after the new converter goes in...I need to drive it about 200 miles before I will be able to get is smogged. Something to do with the onboard computer...

Thanks for any input and/or recommendations on how to get this fixed.

Last edited by Slagathor; 04-02-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That really sucks..........

Just put the Walker unit in and I think you will be fine. I cannot imagine they look that hard and you do have a point in writing. He is not being paid to argue.

The computer does not care what is past the o2 sensor.

Anything can be welded up... I just used pieces from a honda exhaust welded up to make a new free exhaust pipe, and now it sounds like a ricer. LOL

Besides the police are looking to write you a ticket for no muffler to add to your misery. you have to take the plunge.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:07 AM

Welcome to California the biggest hippie movement in the USA that wants to be in the lead of the cleanest emissions in the world while bending car owners over to make it so.

Most SMOG techs will look, you have to pass a "visual" inspection and your CAT is part of that if the tech is doing (and cares about) his job. Cali has made it very expensive to replace CATS for most vehicle owners by making us get OEM converters instead of aftermarket. I blame part of it on the huge street racing scene a while back that made the state crack down on breathing modifications (just my opinion).

My two cents is try craigslist for somebody privately parting out a similar 4runner and buy it from them. It's against the law for junk yards to sell used CATS, how screwed it that!!

Good luck.

Last edited by 4byrunner; 04-02-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:39 AM

Is stealing CAT's the official state sport in California? It seems there are a number of stolen CAT posts on all the 4Runner forums everyday. it must take some brass balls to crawl under someones truck in their own drive-way and hack a large hunk of metal away...
Old 04-02-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a label under the hood that shows the Engine Test Group--well, there is on my '99. If you have an EO that says converter X is good for that group, you should be fine. All you need is a cooperative muffler shop but it's a legal install.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 AM

I'm surprised nobody heard anything. I've cut exhaust pipe with a sawzall before and it is not a quiet, discreet task! You don't need to drive 200 miles, they just tell people that as a general estimate. You can check the readiness monitors using a scan tool. Drive on the highway at 50-60 mph for 20-30 minutes and it should ready up for you.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:26 AM

On the readiness, here is a link from IH8MUD's FAQ sticky by raydouble to the TSB that lays out the required driving pattern to get a ready on the Cat Efficiency Test. You need to be signed into a Google account to download.

https://sites.google.com/site/raydou...edirects=0&d=1
Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks guys. I looked under the hood, and the engine test group on that label exactly matches the test group noted on the Walker aftermarket CAT I was looking into. Looks like I should be good to go.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:12 PM

this happened to me, and I drive a 98. Where in cali are you?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm in Los Angeles, where it's a sport for these KNOBS! Anyway, especially in the Antelope Valley, where, when I go camping on the back side of the Angeles Crest(big rock creek, Blue Ridge, etc), the tweekers in the Antelope Valley and Palmdale come up there and steal them while people are hiking.....ALL THE TIME! Every trip, at least 1 person will drive down the road by or near us that we can clearly hear the loud, CAT free exhaust going by.

Really sorry that happened to ya
Old 04-03-2011, 03:45 PM

Thieves

Yeah they got me too a couple of weeks ago. Cut just past the O2 sensor and removed and took bolts just behind cat. I didn't hear a thing or they got me while I was at work. Went with a Magmaflow direct fit cat. Bolted on perfect with no issues.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:41 PM

I live in Discovery Bay (in the Delta). Lots of tweaked out areas nearby (Bryon, Brentwood, Oakley, Bethel Island) ...and of course Stockton is only 20 miles east....
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 PM

same thing happened to me about a year ago! insurance paid for the whole thing though...
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine got stole parked on the sidewalk in front of THE BOMB SQUAD beat that , called Metro D.C. police cause had to have a dept. outside ours do the report and they told us they got hit two nights before and they lost in the neighborhood of 20 in one night.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow, I was surprised to see how many people this has happened to! *knock on wood*

CAT skid plate/anti theft shield anyone?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4byrunner
Welcome to California the biggest hippie movement in the USA that wants to be in the lead of the cleanest emissions in the world while bending car owners over to make it so.

Most SMOG techs will look, you have to pass a "visual" inspection and your CAT is part of that if the tech is doing (and cares about) his job. Cali has made it very expensive to replace CATS for most vehicle owners by making us get OEM converters instead of aftermarket. I blame part of it on the huge street racing scene a while back that made the state crack down on breathing modifications (just my opinion).

My two cents is try craigslist for somebody privately parting out a similar 4runner and buy it from them. It's against the law for junk yards to sell used CATS, how screwed it that!!

Good luck.

Dude I'm SURE you've seen the traffic around here? You're telling me you wanna breathe in all the raw exhaust gasses? The classic cars can still run at full bore, thats all I care about.

To the OP - Magnaflow makes an aftermarket California spec catalytic converter. I have one on mine.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Our family business has a fleet of 12 trucks....and we have a full time mechanic. Down the street is an muffler shop we always work with. The manager there said he has replaced CATs on 50 late 90's toyota 4 bangers in the last two months ALONE! He even has the right replacement CAT, CA approved, in stock. $300 parts and labor to fix it....since we are a regular customer.

My insurance comprehensive deductible is more than that. So the crooks probably got $75 for the platinum in the CAT...and I am out 3 bills....
Old 04-05-2011, 04:45 PM

Get a Budbuilt belly pan and the thieves will move on to the next one.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2sun
Get a Budbuilt belly pan and the thieves will move on to the next one.
Hmmmmmmmmmm(scratches chin) hehehe... Good idea, I've been looking into this, but it's a bit down the road. One thing for sure, ...."Bolted in, .....SURELY gonne be the first they try! Welded in, ....still get stolen, but they will ALWAYS try to unbolt one before cutting one out if they can. And MANY new ones are bolted in at the factory in CA Cars... and CA CATS make the $ for thieves!" Said my exhaust guy, lol.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Mine was sawed off last night in West Los Angeles, anybody have the specific part numbers for CA rigs?

Also, do you think once replaced with aftermarket it should be labeled as such with some sort of sign, so the thieves will know it's worthless to them? Or will they know it's not OEM?

Quick Reply: Theives stole my Converter!