Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thats disgusting!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats disgusting!!!!!

Last weekend we were in calgary camping. On the drive back we turned on the fan too here it clicking. When on full blast, it vibrated the entire truck. This weekend i thought i would take it apart and see whats wrong. While i have my head under the dash, its starting to think. I thought it was all the empty redbull cans in the heat. I pull the bottom out from the fan modual, and sitting there is a dead mouse carcass. Lokking up where i pulled the fan out of, there is mouse guts spread everywhere. Im gagging all over the place. Im in here right now working up the guts to get back out there. I know it needs to be cleaned now, or my truck is going to reek for the rest of its life. ลลลล!

Im just hoping someone isnt going to want pictures. Sicko's.

Im confused where the mouse got in? Where does the air come into the vents?
Old 07-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

dude that is disgusting...sorry to hear that. a similar thing happened to my dad once, i have no idea how he cleaned it out though. good luck cleaning it.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:57 AM

that is kinda nasty... but look on the bright side.. the fact there are guts and they are juicy is a good thing. If not you could have mold spores flying around your truck

Be sure to use lots of clorox cleaner!!! And I would think about baking soda freezer/fridge packs in the rig for a while if it still smells like mickeys guts.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:08 PM

Ya this sucks, still havent made it out there yet
I need to find an arsnal of cleaning products
Old 07-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Isn't there some kind of "i can clean anything" detailer around? surely you can pay someone to clean it for you. i dont blame you for not going back out there yet...I don't think I could do it.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
hahaha oh my, that sucks
Old 07-08-2006, 12:30 PM

On the scout we have in Upstate NY, we had a similar problem. It's just a beater, and birds must have been nesting in it for the 8 months out of the year no one drives it. The fan wouldnt kick on in it, and the engine would get real hot real quick. When my buddy scooted under the truck, he pull out what looked like a crow, it was jammed between the fan and the housing, so that the fan wouldnt spin. Talk about unlucky timing. Don't be a girl dude, clean it out yourself, it isnt that bad. Get some good gloves!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Not in a car story, but not too long ago, I went to my treadmill and turned it on and when the tread started moving I heard a sqeek and a thump and the thing stopped.... Yup, mouse squished in the rollers... Had to take it apart to clean out all the fluids and guts and brains....

Dogs were really interested in it for a while...
Old 07-08-2006, 01:36 PM

Ok so i got the rest of the carcass out, and got the fan cleaned up. I started cleaning the guts from the inside, but quickly realized, to get it all im going to have to pull out the whole unit. I have all visible bolt and screws out now. The big black box is connected by what i think is the coolent lines. How do i get the big black box out and the rest of the white can?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

I watched an episode of Pimp My Ride the other day and this girl had a huge rat living in her AMC Pacer. They found it somewhere underneath the dash and there was tons of feces under the seats.

Good luck getting it all cleaned up Greg.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Clorox cleanup....in a spray bottle....best stuff going for disinfecting!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Oh Greg, someone named Minnie on Line 1 from PETA."
Old 07-08-2006, 04:50 PM

Many, many years ago, in the late '70's, I was Xerox copier tech in DC and had several embassies in my territory. Some were large and had serious security (USSR, Israel, Brittan among others) and some were small and almost like a frat house. In the smaller embassies people lived in the embassy, ate there and for the most part the buildings were very small, about the size of townhouse (Nigeria, Bangla Desh). One day I went out on a call for paper jams at one of the smaller embassies (not one that that has been mentioned so far). When I got there I found that the reason for the paper jams was because the copier was in the kitchen and there were so many roaches in the machine that the paper couldn't get through any longer. It was all I could to do keep from gagging while I cleaned out the bugs.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
haha disgusting!
Old 07-08-2006, 05:31 PM

Sick! So I now have my ENTIRE dash ripped apart because of 1 stupid little nut. toyota coulda designed that better (not that im complaining, because everything else is designed sweet like). Is there any mods i should be doing to my truck right now? I will never have this kind of access again!
Old 07-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gregbreakseverything
Is there any mods i should be doing to my truck right now?
I'm not sure how much you've taken apart or how soon you need it back together but heres a few ideas... Tacoma whip mod, install a CB, hardwire one or two of your 12 volt outlets, disable day time running lights, disable door buzzer, install white face gauges, add wiring for future lighting...
Old 07-08-2006, 06:29 PM

Im happy with the power whip right now, there is no good radio, so it always stays down. CB radios are not big at all in canada. I would like to hard wire the rear outlet, does anyone know how to do that one? The plan was to install my kc lights this weekend. I dont know if i will get around to that yet. Thanks for the idea's. I have the computer disconnected right now. It got me thinking, has anyone tried modifying it at all?
Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 PM

Here are the 2 units im still trying to remove. They are both loose, but will not come out. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:15 PM

So i tore out the fan unit, and just cleaned the heater unit while it was on the truck. Now im trying to get the fan unit back in. What a pain in the ass.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:31 AM

Done!! doesnt smell to bad either. There should be a write up on how to take the dash out and how to get the fan modual out. There is probobly an easier way than pulling and pushing with all my might!

Quick Reply: Thats disgusting!!!!!