Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thank you

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the great posts and write ups on this site. I am not mechanically inclined but last weekend spent it doing pretty much everything I could to take care of my 98 4runner.

Replaced timing belt, water pump, all three belts, idler and tensioner pulleys, broke and replaced the crank pulley (F that bolt), nicked the radiator so replaced that (after buying a tranny cooler, so now my transmission is living the high life with radiator & tranny cooler), flushed the tranny with the engine pump a quart and stop method, changed differential and TC fluids, greased the drive train, cleaned the intake (seafoam and cleaner), cleaned the MAF, changed spark plugs that were not dual ground and the spark plug wires, did the differential breather mod after paying dealer to replace seals, shoes and bearings, oh and the usual oil change.

Just listing all that cause it was a busy few days for me that probably would have taken you guys a day to do. Ended up costing me a bunch of dough (pretty much all due to that crank bolt), but it was fun and once again thanks for all the help.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am not much help on the 3rd gens, but there is alot of good info here and glad to hear you did it yourself. You did a big job there and sure you learned alot. Hang in there and you will be a pro in no time.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Welcome to the beginning of thinking of stuff the truck 'needs' just so you can mess with it.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure you used any of my write-ups, but it's always good to hear this site gives people the confidence to work on their own rigs. I would have never done the maintenance myself without knowing I could fall-back on the collective experience this site offers.

http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjac...sh/tranny.html

http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjac...lt/timing.html
Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Welcome to the beginning of thinking of stuff the truck 'needs' just so you can mess with it.
Man I have this thought all the time. especially when my wife is around.... "NEEDS to be done" always sounds better than "I just want to wrench on my truck!"
Old 08-05-2012, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by dgoll75
Man I have this thought all the time. especially when my wife is around.... "NEEDS to be done" always sounds better than "I just want to wrench on my truck!"
Yeah, it's kind've a pain in the butt when your other half knows his stuff and you've gotta sneak out to do a little wrenching without someone poking at your work and asking 'why this' and 'how come that' and 'That's gonna catch fire'.

Last edited by habanero; 08-05-2012 at 04:16 AM.