Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Texas_Ace's 2000 Supercharged 4Runner 2 years later Dyno, Meth injection +more power!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a manual truck? If so you are lucky, THAT would make for a VERY fun truck.

In that video i posted, on the second pull there was actually a lady coming up in the lane next to me, i wanted to get out of there before she got in front of me since i never mess around with other people around so i hit it and the tires lit up just as she got next to me. She gave me the funnest look.

She was also going 40mph when i took off yet you never see her in the video to give an example of the trucks off the line abilitys.

Here is somthing ya'll might like from my channel as well, this is from a year or so ago and with a few hundred pounds of stuff for my MR2 in the back yet it still managed to beat that miata.

Now i have no doubt it would be even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UHapKAs4E
Old 10-14-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Of youtube? Got a link? i didn't see it.
damn, page 6 now

http://www.youtube.com/videos?s=mp&t=t&c=2&cr=CA&p=6
Old 10-14-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hahaha... I love it when our 4x4's beat small/fast cars, hahaha

yeah, both my rigs are manual 5speeds, my taco IS fun, drives like a dream, runs thru the gears smooth as can be. soon the 4runner will get a 3.4 and the SC off my truck and my truck will be getting a nice turbo setup as it's my DD rig more than an offroad truck.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
LOL, i must be missing it, been looking and looking myself but never saw it up there.

Originally Posted by aa1911
hahaha... I love it when our 4x4's beat small/fast cars, hahaha

yeah, both my rigs are manual 5speeds, my taco IS fun, drives like a dream, runs thru the gears smooth as can be. soon the 4runner will get a 3.4 and the SC off my truck and my truck will be getting a nice turbo setup as it's my DD rig more than an offroad truck.
I would love a manual truck, that would really make it even more fun. Beating ricers IS fun, been there done that lots of times.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Just finiahed getting the mod overview video up, goes into a lot of detail about the mods on the truck. Let me know what you think, it should explain most questions ya'll might have about the truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYBOlsLTZQ8

Also getting the DIY meth injection setup typed up now. Just got to finish tracking done some links and i will put it up, tomorrow most likely.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sick video, i learned alot from that vid.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
Sick video, i learned alot from that vid.
Thanks, i have a tendancy to go into too much detail so good to know somone likes that.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 AM

yeah, I liked your vid, maybe a tad bit long but like you said, people on youtube generally have the attention span of a 5 yr old, hahaha.. anyone truly interested in doing this to there rig would certainly get a lot of your video.

interesting you using the stock exhaust, with the headers I think it is plenty adequate, I only went up 1/2" and I don't think it is necessary. The headers really do compliment the SC when it comes to moving air thru the engine though. Most people seem to think a huge exhaust is necessary when you really don't need all that much. A 3" exhaust for example can handle well upwards of an engine developing 400+ bhp ....

I noticed your pump on your AEM kit was mounted really high up compared to the tank; I don't know how much it really matters, I know that the Devil's Own kits (shurflo pump) recommends mounting the pump at least level but preferably below the level of the tank as it is a 'push' pump not a 'pull' pump. Obviously works for you though...

I like your green indicator lamp for the water injection; I love the Devil's own controllers though, they have a red light 'pwr on' lamp, the 'injecting' green lamp, and a yellow 'fault' indicator when the controller overheats/pump draws too much current (and they are the smallest ones around)... it is extremely nice to be able to see when your pump is operating. being on the A post with your gauges is nice, mine is tucked down behind my shifter where I can easily peek at it, not as handy but works.

nice setup, we have very close to the same powerplant/mods... I'm only making 227 rwhp at the moment but have been neglecting my methanol/timing tune, I just have the fuel map tuned at the moment. (and my engine has almost 150k on it now with no work on it whatsoever)

TexasAce, what OBD software do you have? I have palmer performance engineering software ($200 I think) that hooks right into the OBD II and reads out pretty much anything that has a wire attached to it, haven't used it very much yet though.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, I liked your vid, maybe a tad bit long but like you said, people on youtube generally have the attention span of a 5 yr old, hahaha.. anyone truly interested in doing this to there rig would certainly get a lot of your video.

interesting you using the stock exhaust, with the headers I think it is plenty adequate, I only went up 1/2" and I don't think it is necessary. The headers really do compliment the SC when it comes to moving air thru the engine though. Most people seem to think a huge exhaust is necessary when you really don't need all that much. A 3" exhaust for example can handle well upwards of an engine developing 400+ bhp ....

I noticed your pump on your AEM kit was mounted really high up compared to the tank; I don't know how much it really matters, I know that the Devil's Own kits (shurflo pump) recommends mounting the pump at least level but preferably below the level of the tank as it is a 'push' pump not a 'pull' pump. Obviously works for you though...

I like your green indicator lamp for the water injection; I love the Devil's own controllers though, they have a red light 'pwr on' lamp, the 'injecting' green lamp, and a yellow 'fault' indicator when the controller overheats/pump draws too much current (and they are the smallest ones around)... it is extremely nice to be able to see when your pump is operating. being on the A post with your gauges is nice, mine is tucked down behind my shifter where I can easily peek at it, not as handy but works.

nice setup, we have very close to the same powerplant/mods... I'm only making 227 rwhp at the moment but have been neglecting my methanol/timing tune, I just have the fuel map tuned at the moment. (and my engine has almost 150k on it now with no work on it whatsoever)

TexasAce, what OBD software do you have? I have palmer performance engineering software ($200 I think) that hooks right into the OBD II and reads out pretty much anything that has a wire attached to it, haven't used it very much yet though.
Yeah, i know the video is a little too long but if you read my posts you see thats how i usually do things. I really have to bite my tounge to keep posts to a readable leangth lol.

Yep, stock exahust with the cat gutted and a DIY O2 simulator in place so no codes, still passes inspection lol.

The stock muffler is a little restrictive but I like having a quite truck. If i had the money i would get a 3" made with a real quite muffler for a lttle better flow but not needed for what i am doing.

There is no problem with mounting the pump up higher, the shurflo pumps are self priming up to 8 feet, which i don't see that being an issue on a car. Flow will be cut down a little but we are still no where close to the max flow of the pumps.

The Deviles own controllers are nice indeed, just not needed for 95% of the 4runner/taco guys that would install a kit like this. I have just about got my cheap DIY list done, total right now for a basic setup is just over $100.

Your on the 2.2 right and meth? odd i made 222 when i was on the stock pulley and a few other issues. your tune must need work, are you still removing timing? or is that zeroed out?

I have an ELM based OBD scanner, the softwear i have downloaded a lot of it. Not sure what i got to actually work since i am too cheap to actually buy somthing lol.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:11 AM

yeah, 227 was with the smaller pulley, I put it on the day I drove it to get it tuned (I had a pro do it the first time, big $$$ but a very nice tune of the fuel map). My timing map is zeroed out still, so I have some potential for a good 20-30hp increase with what I have right now which would put me inline with the rest of you guys. Typically it seems the 7th injector guys get more than the fuel upgrade kit with the larger injectors. I'm thinking about trying out that 7gal nozzle I have sitting around also at some point.

yeah, I was just curious if the pump mounting was really that important or not, like you said, these pumps are pretty strong. shurflos are rated to run 'dry' for up to an hour before the self destruct according to devil's own.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Ace... VERY much enjoyed watching your videos and reading up on some of the thread/mods you've done. You have a personable way about ya.... which makes it a lot easier to listen to than some of the Youtube Builders, lol.

Nice truck, and just curious...you plan on a Jet Pack like in the movie Darwin Awards? hehe, jk. Man, amazing what people can get out of something with the will and means!

Mark
Old 10-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice video! So you are using 50% distilled water and 50% methanol as your mixture. I'm assuming the distilled water is stored in the windshield wiper tank? Where do you keep the methanol? You said you can also run 100% windshield wiper fluid, or is that 50% windshield wiper fluid and 50% methanol? How frequently do you have to fill up the water and methanol?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
nice video's man. Like your truck! I would love to find a deal on a trd s/c for my taco
Old 10-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, 227 was with the smaller pulley, I put it on the day I drove it to get it tuned (I had a pro do it the first time, big $$$ but a very nice tune of the fuel map). My timing map is zeroed out still, so I have some potential for a good 20-30hp increase with what I have right now which would put me inline with the rest of you guys. Typically it seems the 7th injector guys get more than the fuel upgrade kit with the larger injectors. I'm thinking about trying out that 7gal nozzle I have sitting around also at some point.

yeah, I was just curious if the pump mounting was really that important or not, like you said, these pumps are pretty strong. shurflos are rated to run 'dry' for up to an hour before the self destruct according to devil's own.
You have the fuel upgrade kit not the 7th? that might explain it, it acts like a mini-meth injection kit.

I figure with my mods i have now i am around 250rwhp, it is a little slower then my old 300zx which was around 250 and it weighs 1000lb more, so i thinks thats about right. Might get it on the dyno at some point, got to tune my MR2 pretty soon as well.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Ace... VERY much enjoyed watching your videos and reading up on some of the thread/mods you've done. You have a personable way about ya.... which makes it a lot easier to listen to than some of the Youtube Builders, lol.

Nice truck, and just curious...you plan on a Jet Pack like in the movie Darwin Awards? hehe, jk. Man, amazing what people can get out of something with the will and means!

Mark
Thanks, That means a lot. I try my best to not just sound like a monolog. Still very much in the fine tuning/learning stages of videos though. Might start making 2 videos, 1 the edited down short version for the 6 year olds and another with all the details and longer for those that care.

These last few were actually pretty bad for me, they took SOOO many takes, i usually get my videos in 1 or 2 without having to cut them up, not the case with these lol. Think i had like 100 clips i had to sort though to make that last video.

Actually got another video from the leftover stuff i tossed together uploading now, talks more about the truck as a whole.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chris360hawks
Nice video! So you are using 50% distilled water and 50% methanol as your mixture. I'm assuming the distilled water is stored in the windshield wiper tank? Where do you keep the methanol? You said you can also run 100% windshield wiper fluid, or is that 50% windshield wiper fluid and 50% methanol? How frequently do you have to fill up the water and methanol?
Thanks!

Yes, a 50/50 mix. It is premixed, i just pour it into the washer fluid tank like you would washer fluid. I have a jug with a line on it, i fill it to the line with water, then top it off with methanol.

For somone not tuned on water/meth, plain blue washer fluid works just fine. It's not real consistant is why if you are tuned i like mixing it myself. You also want the clodest rated washer fluid you can get. The colder the rating, the more meth is in it.

How much you have to fill it up totally depends on how you drive it, at first you will have to fill it up a fair amount since you will have a heavy foot to play with the new power. As you get used to it the fill ups will not be near as much. Plus it will depend on how much you use the washer fluid on the windshield.

As a rule, with a 5gph nozzle, using the washer fluid once or twice and normal driving, i would say you should easily last about a tank of gas before needing to be filled up again. Not hard to fill up the washer fluid anyways and if you install a low level switch then it tells you when to do it.

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
nice video's man. Like your truck! I would love to find a deal on a trd s/c for my taco
Thanks! Just keep checking ebay, i found mine there for $300 2 years ago, then rebuilt it for another $300. All the details are listed in my old build thread.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks!

Yes, a 50/50 mix. It is premixed, i just pour it into the washer fluid tank like you would washer fluid. I have a jug with a line on it, i fill it to the line with water, then top it off with methanol.

For somone not tuned on water/meth, plain blue washer fluid works just fine. It's not real consistant is why if you are tuned i like mixing it myself. You also want the clodest rated washer fluid you can get. The colder the rating, the more meth is in it.

How much you have to fill it up totally depends on how you drive it, at first you will have to fill it up a fair amount since you will have a heavy foot to play with the new power. As you get used to it the fill ups will not be near as much. Plus it will depend on how much you use the washer fluid on the windshield.

As a rule, with a 5gph nozzle, using the washer fluid once or twice and normal driving, i would say you should easily last about a tank of gas before needing to be filled up again. Not hard to fill up the washer fluid anyways and if you install a low level switch then it tells you when to do it.
Okay, I'm getting it more now. So windshield washer fluid has some methanol in it. But your 50/50 mix has alot more methanol in it compared to washer fluid. My setup is supercharged with supra 305cc injectors, walbro 190 fuel pump, and a unichip tuner which is programmed for exactly my setup. It controls the bigger injectors and timing as needed. It has two map modes, one with more aggressive timing, but I run it in the least aggressive timing setting and it still runs strong and doesn't ping at all. I am not able to additionally tune the unichip as it is. I have to take it to a unichip tuner to adjust it at all, which I don't even think there are any around me. I would like to run a 2.2" pulley and this meth injection looks like it would allow me to do so safely. Would I be better off just running windshield wiper fluid or could I run a 50/50 mix?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chris360hawks
Okay, I'm getting it more now. So windshield washer fluid has some methanol in it. But your 50/50 mix has alot more methanol in it compared to washer fluid. My setup is supercharged with supra 305cc injectors, walbro 190 fuel pump, and a unichip tuner which is programmed for exactly my setup. It controls the bigger injectors and timing as needed. It has two map modes, one with more aggressive timing, but I run it in the least aggressive timing setting and it still runs strong and doesn't ping at all. I am not able to additionally tune the unichip as it is. I have to take it to a unichip tuner to adjust it at all, which I don't even think there are any around me. I would like to run a 2.2" pulley and this meth injection looks like it would allow me to do so safely. Would I be better off just running windshield wiper fluid or could I run a 50/50 mix?
Yep, basically, most say -20 to -40 rated washer fluid has between 25-45% methanol in it (there is a list someplace on the net with each brands exact mix). Which used with the right sized nozzle would be fine to use without a retune.

Without the ability to tune it you just have to size the nozzle more carefully and in the case of running a smaller pulley then tuned for make sure you have a proper setup.

In your case i would look into a Devils own Progressive setup with about a 5-7gph nozzle running blue washer fluid with the lowest temp rating you can find.

The nice thing about a real progressive controller is that you can vary the amount of water/meth injected with the same nozzle to semi tune it.

I would then just turn it on full blast and slowly turn it down till you notice you have the most power, always better erroring on the side of too much then too little in this case.

Too much will just make you bog a little, too little can cause problems.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks! Just keep checking ebay, i found mine there for $300 2 years ago, then rebuilt it for another $300. All the details are listed in my old build thread.
Thats my plan, I am waiting for the prices to drop a little for the 1GR s/c's. I just can see spending what they are going for at the moment.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Thats my plan, I am waiting for the prices to drop a little for the 1GR s/c's. I just can see spending what they are going for at the moment.
Don't those kits have a built in Intercooler? or was it the V8 kits?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Yep, basically, most say -20 to -40 rated washer fluid has between 25-45% methanol in it (there is a list someplace on the net with each brands exact mix). Which used with the right sized nozzle would be fine to use without a retune.

Without the ability to tune it you just have to size the nozzle more carefully and in the case of running a smaller pulley then tuned for make sure you have a proper setup.

In your case i would look into a Devils own Progressive setup with about a 5-7gph nozzle running blue washer fluid with the lowest temp rating you can find.

The nice thing about a real progressive controller is that you can vary the amount of water/meth injected with the same nozzle to semi tune it.

I would then just turn it on full blast and slowly turn it down till you notice you have the most power, always better erroring on the side of too much then too little in this case.

Too much will just make you bog a little, too little can cause problems.
So your saying I could do a DIY kit like the one your putting together and use washer fluid and keep my stock pulley. But if I wanted to go to a 2.2" pulley I would need a Devils Own progressive controller to kinda tune the meth injection in? Would I have to buy the entire devils own kit or could I just put together a DIY kit with a devils own controller?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Texas_Ace's 2000 Supercharged 4Runner 2 years later Dyno, Meth injection +more power!