Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Test results: SC 98 4Runner, 9.8 psi, stock injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test results: SC 98 4Runner, 9.8 psi, stock injectors

Good day,

I received my RPM cable from INNOVATE MOTORSPORTS and had a DETROIT TRUETRAC LSD installed last week … and there was no snow on the roads this AM.

These factors prompted me to perform some more testing & tuning with the Split Second FTC-1 and my INNOVATE LM1 Air Fuel Ratio meter / datalogger.

The cool (frigid 25 degrees F) air made everything very “happy”. The SC was producing a steady 9.8 psi and the truck was flat out kicking a$$. I wish the drag strip was open in the cold Michigan winter days, it would have been a blast to see what kind of times I could have achieved.

Anyway, here is the scoop. I run a Supercharged 1998 SR5 4Runner with a 5 speed manual transmission. Modifications include: ACT 6 puck race clutch, Pulleyboys 2.2 pulley (9.8 psi max on my truck), Kenne Bell BAP set at 40, Split Second FTC-1 with timing map adjusted to minimize spark knock and fuel map adjusted to cut fuel in the mid range RPM/BOOST and “add a tad” of fuel at the high end RPM. I run the stock fuel injectors and fuel pump.

With this set up, it is not possible to launch it hard without realizing immediate tire spin with split second RPM to the red line achievement. As you can see in the chart below, I have mastered the fine art of feathering the throttle back and forth to allow the tire spin (cause it is fun) yet avoiding the rev limit.

Results are shown below. NOTE: My target AFR is 12.5 under full load. Most tuners will agree that this value provides the best performance and an acceptable margin of safety (surly we don’t want to let the smoke out of the engine).

The first chart shows the AFR results, the second details my fuel map parameters. Feel free to check out all of the details on my WebPages, http://N8RWS.COM

Old 12-13-2003, 08:51 PM

wow, i have no clue what that stuff means, but I'm guessing they're good things

Congrats on whatever you did lol.

Hey jeff, we're having a snow run on the 17th, you're more than welcome to come down and ride with me if you want. Lemme know if ur up for it!
Old 12-13-2003, 09:04 PM

Rob,

I would really like to join you but I must work on the 17th... is that date correct?

JB
Old 12-13-2003, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Jeff B. in Michigan
Rob,

I would really like to join you but I must work on the 17th... is that date correct?

JB
Yes it is correct, but I failed to mention it's on JAN. 17th 2004

Will that work? it's a saturday
Old 12-14-2003, 07:31 AM

Yea,

That may work out very fine.. I will keep u posted

JB
Old 12-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Man,I'd be real curious what it'd run;what was the HP #s.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:36 AM

hi Jeff -

i'm surprised that you are able to force enough fuel through those tiny injectors, even with the increased voltage to the fuel pump. but it looks like your AFR is in a safe range (assuming it is sampling fast enough) . . . is there a way to check peak AFR with your setup? these engines have been known to peak with a lean AFR and high EGT very transiently right before the shift point.

the reduction in ambient temperature must be working nice for the smaller pulley, because when i was running the MAW 9.5psi pulley, i didn't see any gain in the upper band, most likely because of increased discharge temps.

you might want to consider larger injectors, a larger MAF, and maybe even a water injection setup to cool the discharge and jack up the octane. fun stuff!

creed

Last edited by cstary; 12-15-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Jeff B. in Michigan
Yea,

That may work out very fine.. I will keep u posted

JB
by the way - i'd be interested in that aftermarket clutch you are running - got any info?

creed
Old 12-15-2003, 07:21 PM

Creed,

Thanks for the comments... I am not sure what you mean by peak AFR just before the shift points. The data in my chart does show it peaking to around 13.19 just before the shift but it is such a short duration I don't think it could cause any problem. The really big peaks in AFR lean are during the actual shift process.

Anyway, I have not ruled out larger injectors, I will make the call after a few trips to the track.

The clutch I am using is made by http://www.advancedclutch.com/ Advanced Clutch Technologies. It is the six puck style and so far seems to hook up very well. But.. caution, I thought the same thing about the CENTERFORCE till I took it to the track in April and smoked it the full 1/4 mile. This clutch is quite radical, it does not behave so well on the street but with careful engagement I am managing with no trouble. The key engagement issues are: 1) Chatter ... like the whole ass end is going to jump into the next lane if you don't do it do it rite. 2) If you slip it just right, it makes a very strange howl sound just before full engagement.

This is what it looks like: