Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Temporary exhaust mod problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary exhaust mod problem?

On the way to work my entire exhaust from the cat back fell off and was crushed by my rear tires (cat, muffler, exhaust pipe, tail pipe). So to get back home after work (I work at an electrical shop) I used some 1 1/2 inch emt conduit welded it to the cat flange, fashioned a y pipe and ran 2 exhaust pipes all the way back and out the sides. Its great to have a power mandrel bender at the shop. I planned on replacing the exhaust this weekend but, it sounds great and at normal acceleration I only hit 92 decibles. Yes I know all about emission laws, but here they are rarely inforced and not required to be tested ever. The most they worry about is the sound levels. I like the throaty sound and was wondering if there might be any potential engine/ecu problems. Seems to have a little more power but it could be that it just seems that way because of how it sounds. Comments, input,

Last edited by Dublin; 10-05-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Banned

if there were any o2 sensors after the part that fell off, you will throw a cel....

GOTTA LOVE THE MENTALLITY: it's illegal but who cares, they don't enforce it..... let's screw over all the people and make it harder for the people trying to legally do things get screwed
Old 10-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

I'll definately be doing a new exhaust and after doing a temporary exhaust with the right equipment it should be a breeze. I guess I really need input on how nessessary the cat is (not how legally required) because i would like to still run dual pipes and the cat would have a bearing on location. I already have figured 2 options for muffler placement, 1 before the new y pipe or 2 after the y pipe. I also have a muffler option with one exhaust inlet and 2 exhaust outlets. More opinions please.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you gonna start selling these things?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:08 PM

sounds ok... except for the illegal part! you really have to take care of that!

even if they don't enforce it, it isnt legal, or right.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:52 PM

The cat will help the exhaust system build some backpressure which a little bit is good for an EFI vehicle. I'd put a 2-1/4" cat on and then probably go with the single muffler with dual outlets if you want the dual tailpipes. 2 Mufflers will just add weight and with the spare tire there isn't much room.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

JL8Jeff, Thanks that's an answer I was looking for, and actually since I moved my spare from underneath to a swing arm carrier it's the perfect spot for a muffler with dual outlets. As for the legal issues on cats, a federal imposition of an epa mandate. The law should be based on emission output not whether the cat is removed or not but, if the removale increases pollutants or not. A perfect example is on my 70 chevelle the original exhaust was removed and replaced with headers connected directly to Trush mufflers and out the back with continous tail pipe. With the carburator and intake mods it not only exceeded the 1970 standards but also 1989 emission standards as well as an increased HP. Technically it is deemed ileagle, not saying it was right but if the epa wants more pollutants because of the legal requirements, sure i'll put it back to original and pump the air full of ^^^^ (have you killed a tree today?).
Old 10-07-2005, 10:09 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Begs the question: WHY did the entire exhaust system fall off?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

I was wondering the same thing, traditionally, exhaust systems shouldn't just fall to the ground...lol.

With that being said. I think the single cat, single muffler, dual outputs would be the best thing to do. Just go ahead and put the cat. on, it'll be "legal" for those who are talking about that and the sound will be nice depending on the mufflers you go with. With that spare removed, you can practically do anything you want down there.

I'd say single cat to a muffler of your choice, y-pipe going out the back/sides. Should sound pretty kick-a$$.

You think you're gonna have them go out of the sides at an angle, go straight out the sides or two pipes straight out the back? If I were to recommend one it would be the straight out the back...I for one prefer that look and that way you could get some good looking tips to put on there to really set it off. Only downfall to that is the smell when the rear window is down, not a big thing, just keep that in mind.

Overall I think the cat. is necessary to maintain the backpressure that the picky 3.0 likes...I've monkey'd with that before and you're better off with it on. Awesome thing is, you can do what you want and if you don't like it, cut it off, reuse the pipes and try something else since you've got all the necessary equipment at your disposal...I've got the welding under control, haven't gone to the gym enough to be able to bend me some pipe yet though.

Good luck man!

And I understand what you're saying about the cat., while its not legal...the emmisions may still be in spec; and as long as you don't take your rig to the dealer to get worked on then you shouldn't have problem. The dealer will sometimes get on to you about that...never happend with me but I've heard of it. Just a word of advice.

Fink
Old 10-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

From the look of the squashed remains, the 2 bolts holding the cat on rusted through to the point of the weight or engine movement snaping off what was left, Apparently gravity took over from there and the weight of the cat, pipe and muffler dropped forward striking the pavement and thrusting the tail pipe into the bottom of the floor pan bending twisting and snapping it all off. And there it dropped in 3 crumpled pieces thanks to those nice fat tires of mine. As far as the new exhaust I got a decent price on a Cat and Muffler and plan on out the sides. Less bends that way and since the muffler will mount better sideways it gives me more clearance as well.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:25 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Also, since your sig says "Off roading rocks!" you won't like the tips out the back. First off road trip you make will smash them...