Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Teeter-Totter

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teeter-Totter

Simple question?? Maybe....maybe not.

I have a 1997 4Runner......completely stock, all original factory suspension. It has about 116K miles on it now, and the suspension and steering are getting loose. If I tap on the brake pedal at about 40 Mph, the thing rocks back and forth like a Teeter-Totter. I'm sure that I need new shocks on it, but my question is this........

What other components of the suspension should I look at? I'm just looking to improve the ride, not doing any off-roading upgrades. This one is my wife's soccer-mom grocery getter car, and we use it for any real winter driving up into the northwoods of WI where it plows through huge amounts of snow with the greatest of ease. I need the suspension solid to get the best possible snow/ice traction in that situation.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

I would recommend going with the stock suspesnion setup from a 99 4runner. That year 4runner had slightly firmer suspension and raised half to an inch over other years.

Seems perfect for you: a slightly more aggressive suspension then what you have now, which will you feel more planted on the road with, but not over-the-top at all. For more info and a great guy to buy from go here: www.sonoransteel.com .

You can also upgrade some of your bushings to poly-urathane, that'll clean up some of the teetering too. Also on www.sonoransteel.com

Good luck, keep us updated.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:32 AM

sway bar?

I've seen some posts about the benefits of upgrading the fron/rear sway bars.......does anyone know if there's a good write-up on how to do that???

thanks
Old 08-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Sway bars are more side to side and the stock ones do a fairly good job. From what I read you are nose diving when braking? The 99 suspension will correct that, plus you'll get a little better cornering too. I'd also try upgrading the sway bar bushings to poly urethane before replacing the bars.