Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TC/camburgs???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TC/camburgs???

I've read that some people prefer the affordability and performance of the camburgs while other's like the reliability and construction of the total chaos arms despite the added price. I plan on buying new upper arms and donahoes first, and possibly getting the lower TC arms in the future. If I decide to run camburg uppers, will I still be able to get the same results as the TC's when I get the TC lower arms? Or should I just bite the bullet, drink a couple beers and buy the TC's to begin with?

Steve
Old 08-30-2004, 01:29 PM

I've been looking at people's sig's and saw there are a lot more choices than you have listed. i.e JD fab. ESB fab, Duffco, Baja Racing made by Total chaos, but for some reason cheaper. (http://www.bajaconcepts.com/Toyota_4...nsion_kits.htm)??
Have a look there might be something more appealing to you in someone else's kit.
I like the Baja kit because of the CV kit with the Porsche CV's. I designed one with my buddy that used those and it worked great.( except for the A-arms) Looks like they copied it. I wonder if he has any more of those kits?? HMMM
Old 08-30-2004, 01:35 PM

OH yeah, forgot to mention that CV kit also worked great because it had extra long splines in the axle going into the Porsche CV section that allowed the extra travel w/o having to bolt up limiting straps. I don't know if they are worth 1k though!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

I dont think the regular replacement upper A arms will work with the long travel kit that you want to upgrade to in the future.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:03 PM

That's what I was wondering. Both the camburgs and TC's have uniballs and seem to be similar designs. If I could, I would like to save some money with the camburgs, but if I'm buying 'hoes anyway... I dunno.

And those porsche CV's seem like a fantastic idea... but that pricetag just can't be justified by my wallet. That may be something definitely worth looking into, but I'm sure limiting straps will suffice me in the meantime.

Anyone else have any input?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:24 PM
KW

yeah the tc uppers are'nt the same as the ones used w/ the lt kit, just buying a lower arm later on wouldnt work.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:48 PM

You can do it cheaper!
The CV's are for a BMW or Porsche. Makenzies (sp) sells them cheap, a lot of dune buggies run them, and there is a place near my work that sells BMW parts that I got mine cheap. The only real expensive thing was the Summer Bros axles, but that might be cheap since my buddy already did the intial design, and the adapter plate to bolt the CV to the front diff.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't sure how different the long travel arms were. I think I may end up not doing the long travel set up and just get the camburg upppers and donahoes.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:41 AM

Hey blank,
I just contacted Summer Bro's (Ole) the guy that helped the first time around and he said he could do some axles plus adapters for around $500. You will still use your outer CV though. It is very easy ( albeit messy) to take apart the axles and put this kit in.
He also said he can make the axles any length you want, so you don't need to have an extra travel kit.AND he said if we can get ten sets going he'd knock off 18% each kit.
Oh yeah I think Mckenzies or BMW guy said the CV's run $49/ea I think the BMW's run $26/ea if I remember right they are just 1/4 " thinner than the Porsche's
Old 09-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

i've got the hoes with camburgs. i'm happy with em.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Buki, the CV axles your talking about won't work on blank's rig, he's got a 3rd Gen 4runner.

As for the differences between the Camburg and TC A-arms, under most conditions you'll never notice a difference, but the TC arms are of higher quality. Donahoe's truck managed to break a stock lower A-arm during a race, he runs TC uppers.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:38 AM

Man o man, this is a rough decisson. I think right now I'm leaning more towards the camburgs, but I hate skimping on quality. I'll probably just end up flipping a coin anyway. I'd really love to do the Long travel kit but I just won't be able to afford it anytime soon.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Rugby10

Anyone know where I can find the contsruction dimensions of these kits? The best would be a Diagram or CAD file. Perhaps this is wishful thinking?
Old 09-03-2004, 10:03 AM

http://www.chaosfab.com/pdf/tinstall.pdf

That's the best I can think of.