Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Taurus fan installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Taurus fan installed

I wanted to replace my radiator for a while now and I figured while it's out I might as well install the taurus fan too. So I ordered a new radiator from www.radiatorbarn.com for $135, found a taurus fan in the junkyard for $30 and got the fan controller for $45. The install took about 7 hours, but I was really taking my time because I didn't want to get my friends garage floor all dirty. That also includes a test drive to get some popsicles and cleanup.

Everything was pretty easy and straightforward, just as Rome said. I pretty much did the same thing he did, but I didn't shave down the waterpump studs. There's about 1/4" between the studs and the fan motor and when I started the engine the clearance seemed fine. I didn't get a chance to hook up the high speed wiring, but I have the relays and I plan to do that tomorrow. The only fan controller Kragens had was the variable temperature controller so I got that one.

If there were any performance gains, I didn't notice it. It seems the same to me, still slow. The temperature was rock solid in the middle of the gauge.

There is one concern I have, though. I hooked up the wiring so that the fan controller thermometer controls the fan, even when the ignition is off. This way, when I turn off the engine, the fan still runs for about a minute and shuts off. The problem is that the fan comes on again in a couple minutes and shuts off, comes on again and shuts off and so on. This happens for about 15 minutes. For you guys who have installed an electric fan, is this normal? I'm probably going to wire it so that the fan turns off with the ignition.

Sorry, no pics...I think Rome covered that in his post.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROBIN, I think if you are to notice any difference in the temperature, it'd almost have to be in the middle of the summer..

I don't think you will get any good readings now that the temperatures has cooled down a bit (I know it has here, and my temperature never moves from one-quarter, however, that's a TOTALLY different story in the middle of the summer).
Old 09-14-2003, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Taurus fan installed

Originally posted by Robinhood150
There is one concern I have, though. I hooked up the wiring so that the fan controller thermometer controls the fan, even when the ignition is off. This way, when I turn off the engine, the fan still runs for about a minute and shuts off. The problem is that the fan comes on again in a couple minutes and shuts off, comes on again and shuts off and so on. This happens for about 15 minutes. For you guys who have installed an electric fan, is this normal? I'm probably going to wire it so that the fan turns off with the ignition.
I would bet the cause of this is heat soak. I think the temp probe is the clip on type right? So I would guess that what is happening is that the fan is cooling the surface of the radiator only to have the retained heat of the fluid inside heat the surface back up again. This would repeat until the coolant did not have enuf heat to continue the cycle.

One option is to find an internal probe such as those found on the flex-a-lite style fans. That way it is actually measuring the coolant temp rather than the radiator surface temp. The fan will stay on until the coolant hits the temp you have set in the controller.

The other is to just wire it to a switched source like you said.
Engine off......fan off......pretty simple.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:45 AM

Rewire it!

Robinhood150,
I recommend that you rewire the controller so that it is enabled only when the ignition is on. My fan has gone through 2 of the adjustable controllers. They would do the same thing~stay on when the engine was off, then later it would be coming on when the engine was already cool at all hours of the day or night, eventually it would just stay on, and end up draining the battery. I have since gone to a 185* fixed fan controller and have it wired to the ignition fuse using a ATO "Add-A-Circuit" fuse tap (pn: FHA200BP/0FHA0200ZP) which by the way are some kind of "Mystery"(they have never heard of it, and haven't a clue what it is) to the local auto parts stores we have here (i.e. Schucks/NAPA/Performance Corner) and I had to drive to the Pep Boys (1 hour away) to get one!

[BTW I am going home to CA next month for a couple weeks probably (at the end of the month). I am from Fairfield, so I was wondering where you guys go wheeling at. I have heard about Hollister Hills, but is there anywhere else local to wheel at?]
Old 09-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by KING
ROBIN, I think if you are to notice any difference in the temperature, it'd almost have to be in the middle of the summer..
Actually, yesterday was one of the hottest days in weeks. It was about 100.

I would bet the cause of this is heat soak.
Yup, that's what I figured too.

Rome, I've got my controller mounted near the fuses so hopefully it's cooler there. I think I'm going to try to insulated it too. Which fuse did you tap for the ignition wiring? Mapquest says hollister is about 2 hours from fairfield. That's a little far, not sure if it's worth it. There are also some trails up in the sierras that are really nice. Slickrock, Deer Valley, Signal Peak, the rubicon, Etc.

Oh, by the way, can I use some of your pictures in my writeup?

Last edited by Robinhood150; 09-14-2003 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:57 AM

Robinhood150,
I tapped into the ignition fuse. The fuse tap allows for no more than 10A over the rated fuse that it is tapping. Sure you can use my pics from my Taurus Fan install. That is why they are accessible to everyone.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

I'm wiring up a switch so I can turn the fan off, have it run low and have it run high. It's partially installed now so I have low and off. After reading here about running with the fan off, I wanted to see what would happen if I did that with my V6. After driving on the freeway for about 15min I got off at my exit and stopped at a couple red lights. I turned off the fan and the gauge didn't move. Later I finally got the gauge to move by sitting at my parking spot and reving the engine for about 20sec.

Of course it was only about 70deg out and I didn't idle at the red lights very long, maybe about 1min. So I guess the fan doesn't do too much unless under really hot conditions.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 09-26-2003 at 10:20 PM.