Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Take delivery in the morning!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Take delivery in the morning!

After alot of research, I am picking up a 2003 4Runner Sport 4x4 V6 (silver) in the morning!
This is actually my first Toyota. This is how I came to buy it:

I looked at alot of suv's including the Murano (wanted to give my Nissan loyalty a shot). The Murano is very impressive and sporty but it is basically a Maxima with 82 cu ft trunk. While test driving, I thought to myself, "hmm, I *guess* this will make it on the sand and mud..." But for $32,000 I didn't want those kind of nagging concerns. My feeling is that it is an suv so it should be able to do everything without worry. Murano is def. a street ride.

Leaving the familiarity of my Nissan dealership, I checked the 4Runner out. My initial impression is that it looks great- not the eyecatcher a Murano is but very handsome and dare I say, more masculine. It looks like a truck which is good. The Murano has shades of minivan-dom.

Once inside, I was impressed with the overall solid and expensive feel. EXCEPT **What is that cheap plastic bin in the dash for?** You open it and it is really thin, as if it could barely hold a wallet. It felt like you could just break that off in half a second. It's unfortunate that is smack in the middle of the dash, ruining an otherwise stellar interior.
I did not like the huge, far-away windshield of the Murano and the 4Runner's felt much better- also better off road for seeing the corners.
I was just impressed with everything about the 4Runner and all the off-road features they packed into it (XREAS, DAC,VDC,etc).
What put it over the top was the excellent on-road ride! Nice! The Murano is more "carlike" but the 4Runner is first class all the way. I LOVE the power rear window!!
Also, even though the Murano has 82cu ft of cargo space, it sure doesnt look like it and the 4Runner's cargo area looks HUGE in comparison. The shape is also more useful being more "box-shape" instead of an odd, wide/low area in the Murano.
The 4Runner also feels so solid! Close the door and it is solid! Nissan can't touch this quality! Overall, I came away feeling that I could do whatever I imagined in the 4Runner but felt limited in the Murano. Quality and style also.
To top it all off, the 4Runner came out $3,000 CHEAPER than the Murano!

Thanks for reading and I hope to post some pics soon!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:52 PM

Yeah, I just bought a $41,000 Eddie Bauer Explorer(for my wife), and I am afraid to take it offroad. The thought of scratching it makes me cringe. I guess in five years, when it's paid for and the wife is ready for a new car, I will get to go to town with it...or rather, get out of town with it. Thank goodness for The A-plan and 0% financing!
Old 07-19-2003, 12:07 AM

Why did you buy an explorer? My friend calls the Exploders. Did you need the 3rd seat?
My neighbor just got one and it looks nice.

Oh, maybe I should list the things I don't like about the 4Runner:
1. No option for leather
2. Weird option packages
3. No choice with body cladding. I like the unpainted grey but it is no longer available in any model.
4. approach and departure angles seem sketchy
5. With the JBL radio (see weird option packages) you LOOSE the cool rear mirrors! So let me get this straight,
I get the crappy radio and cool mirrors or good radio and no mirrors?

How about- I get a JBL AND mirrors!? One of the coolest interior features and it's deleted unless you have the cheap radio (which you can only get on the SR5 since the option pkgs come on all sport/limited) Doesn't make sense- big blunder on Toyota's part there.

Last edited by FirstToy; 07-19-2003 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Wise move FirstToy You won't regret it. I love mine and your right, the ride is really nice.

Yesterday we went out on the Jet Skis and by the time we pulled out the tide had gone out ALOT. I had to back down the ramp and back up in the soggy sand until my rear tires were up to the bottom of the rim in water. I just locked the center differential and pulled right out without ANY slipping or trouble at all.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by FirstToy
Oh, maybe I should list the things I don't like about the 4Runner:
1. No option for leather
2. Weird option packages
3. No choice with body cladding. I like the unpainted grey but it is no longer available in any model.
4. approach and departure angles seem sketchy
5. With the JBL radio (see weird option packages) you LOOSE the cool rear mirrors! So let me get this straight,
I get the crappy radio and cool mirrors or good radio and no mirrors?
1. That's where the Limited comes in
2. Partially explained later...
3. Most people don't agree with that opinion, hence why Toyota changed it.
4. Sketchy how?
5. That's because in the place of those "cool" mirrors are speakers. Most of what I've read on those mirrors is that they are gimmicky at best. I never got to use them, so I wouldn't know personally.

Welcome to the world of Toyota and to the boards, you won't regret it. Well, maybe your wallet will.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:08 AM

what cool rear mirror are you guys talking about? the electro dimming with compass one? I have that in my sport with non-jbl stereo. It's dealer install thou, I had the dealer throw it in before I sign on the dotted line or no deal.

rich
Old 07-19-2003, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by freeky1
Yeah, I just bought a $41,000 Eddie Bauer Explorer(for my wife), and I am afraid to take it offroad. The thought of scratching it makes me cringe. I guess in five years, when it's paid for and the wife is ready for a new car, I will get to go to town with it...or rather, get out of town with it. Thank goodness for The A-plan and 0% financing!

oh god why did you buy the explorer?????? especially at that price, you can get a fully loaded 4runner for less. Ive had 2 explorers before my 4runner and explorer doesnt even compare on any level. Chris
Old 07-19-2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn
oh god why did you buy the explorer?????? especially at that price, you can get a fully loaded 4runner for less. Ive had 2 explorers before my 4runner and explorer doesnt even compare on any level. Chris
1. Third row of seats.
2. Seperate rear air conditioner.
3. 245 HP V8
4. IRS
5. DVD entertainment system.
4. A-plan pricing (MSRP=$41,760, A-plan price=$35,200)

At that price, I also got the optional side safety curtains, the class 3/4 towing package(up to 8,000 lbs), and a six cd changer in the dash. I built a "comparable" 4Runner, and it was well over $40,000. So, basically, I got a lot more vehicle for a lot lower price. Even if it doesn't hold value as well, it doesn't have to. I paid over $5000 less for it to begin with. By the way, the four wheel independent suspension makes a HUGE difference. The thing rides better than the 4Runner, which I test drove before buying the "Exploder". Also, the 4Runners with the unpainted gray body cladding are absolutely the ugliest SUV's I have ever seen. I would rather drive a Pontiac Asstec. Just my two cents. And remember, you asked for it.

And I DID get the cool self dimming rear view mirrior.

Last edited by freeky1; 07-19-2003 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:05 PM

Just got my 4Runner!! VERY happy with it!

kronicx, to reply to your post,
1. Yes the Limited is the only one with leather but it would be nice to have a $1200 optional leather pkg for the Sport. Many other makes have this kind of option. Not a big issue for me, though.
3. Yes, I agree. Many don't like the grey. My Sport has the appearance pkg and I must admit it looks great.
4. actually not from experience so it may be a non-issue. The angles are lower than the old 4Runner and the longish nose looks low.
5. Yes, the speakers replace the mirrors but it would have been nice if they thought ahead and left a space for the speakers and mirrors. I tested a SR5 with the mirrors and loved them. You can parallel park very easy with mirrors since you can see exactly how close your bumper is to the car behind you.

Actually my pocketbook LOVES the 4Runner. It's actually a GREAT deal!
Old 07-19-2003, 03:12 PM

The thing rides better than the 4Runner, which I test drove before buying the "Exploder".
It's catchy isn't it? You're going to be calling it the Exploder from now on!
Old 07-19-2003, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

hey first toy, where in so cali are you from?
Old 07-19-2003, 03:32 PM

In Altadena. That's over by the 210/134 kind of.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

dont forget to sign up for pismo!
Old 07-19-2003, 05:15 PM

everyone has the opinion all i know is my last exploder and my fathers last exploder were both crap compared to my new 4runner and my fathers new yukon. my exploder had the worst brakes, calipers and rotors ive ever seen. I was replacing my rotors and brakes at an unheard rate. Im not an aggressive driver or do i have a heavy foot. i had it for about 3 years, i must of replaed the rotors 5-6 times and the pads every 10k miles at the best. Calipers went once as well. My parking brakes fell apart and destryed everything once (rotors, pads, calipers). I also had the rear of my exploder get all twisted and tilted twice for no reason. The gas milege sucked, as well as when it towed.

1. third row seat (cant say anythign about that but who puts more then 5 people in there suv), but if you have a large family that makes sense for you
2. seperate rear air has never really done much for me, i dont know how they are set up in the new exploders but my last exploder has the same as my new 4runner.
3. the V8 iforce has like 10 horspower less dont see much of a difference
4. no comment
5. Dvd entertainment can be gotten aftermarket, which would probably cost less and be better then the factory
6. My sticker was 38,500ish i paid 34,300.
7. the 4runner will be worth so much more when your done with the suv that even if you paid less for the same in the explorer you will still be loseing money in the end. my old 1995 explorer has 99k miles on it, fully loaded eddie baurer. I got a hole 3500 for it, a comparable 4runner would probably go for close to double that. And trying to sell an explorer private is close to impossble.

Just my opinion
Chris

1. Third row of seats.
2. Seperate rear air conditioner.
3. 245 HP V8
4. IRS
5. DVD entertainment system.
4. A-plan pricing (MSRP=$41,760, A-plan price=$35,200)

At that price, I also got the optional side safety curtains, the class 3/4 towing package(up to 8,000 lbs), and a six cd changer in the dash. I built a "comparable" 4Runner, and it was well over $40,000. So, basically, I got a lot more vehicle for a lot lower price. Even if it doesn't hold value as well, it doesn't have to. I paid over $5000 less for it to begin with. By the way, the four wheel independent suspension makes a HUGE difference. The thing rides better than the 4Runner, which I test drove before buying the "Exploder". Also, the 4Runners with the unpainted gray body cladding are absolutely the ugliest SUV's I have ever seen. I would rather drive a Pontiac Asstec. Just my two cents. And remember, you asked for it.

And I DID get the cool self dimming rear view mirrior.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FirstToy
Congrats on the new Toy
Old 07-19-2003, 05:56 PM

Actually my pocketbook LOVES the 4Runner. It's actually a GREAT deal!
Not exactly what I'm talking about. Just wait til the mod bug hits you!

So, basically, I got a lot more vehicle for a lot lower price.
Wahahaha. Oh, you're serious?!

Last edited by kronicx; 07-19-2003 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Nam

Re: Take delivery in the morning!

FirstToy,

Congratulation on your new 4runner! As most owners, I hope you will enjoy the 4runner for many happy miles to come!

Cheer!

Nam

After alot of research, I am picking up a 2003 4Runner Sport 4x4 V6 (silver) in the morning!
This is actually my first Toyota. This is how I came to buy it:

I looked at alot of suv's including the Murano (wanted to give my Nissan loyalty a shot). The Murano is very impressive and sporty but it is basically a Maxima with 82 cu ft trunk. While test driving, I thought to myself, "hmm, I *guess* this will make it on the sand and mud..." But for $32,000 I didn't want those kind of nagging concerns. My feeling is that it is an suv so it should be able to do everything without worry. Murano is def. a street ride.

Leaving the familiarity of my Nissan dealership, I checked the 4Runner out. My initial impression is that it looks great- not the eyecatcher a Murano is but very handsome and dare I say, more masculine. It looks like a truck which is good. The Murano has shades of minivan-dom.

Once inside, I was impressed with the overall solid and expensive feel. EXCEPT **What is that cheap plastic bin in the dash for?** You open it and it is really thin, as if it could barely hold a wallet. It felt like you could just break that off in half a second. It's unfortunate that is smack in the middle of the dash, ruining an otherwise stellar interior.
I did not like the huge, far-away windshield of the Murano and the 4Runner's felt much better- also better off road for seeing the corners.
I was just impressed with everything about the 4Runner and all the off-road features they packed into it (XREAS, DAC,VDC,etc).
What put it over the top was the excellent on-road ride! Nice! The Murano is more "carlike" but the 4Runner is first class all the way. I LOVE the power rear window!!
Also, even though the Murano has 82cu ft of cargo space, it sure doesnt look like it and the 4Runner's cargo area looks HUGE in comparison. The shape is also more useful being more "box-shape" instead of an odd, wide/low area in the Murano.
The 4Runner also feels so solid! Close the door and it is solid! Nissan can't touch this quality! Overall, I came away feeling that I could do whatever I imagined in the 4Runner but felt limited in the Murano. Quality and style also.
To top it all off, the 4Runner came out $3,000 CHEAPER than the Murano!

Thanks for reading and I hope to post some pics soon!
Old 07-19-2003, 08:13 PM

Man, that looks like fun! The Landcruiser site's writeup and pics were cool. I am planning on taking a trip up north in September but due to work I won't be able to join you guys. It would be really nice to see all those 4Runners! I really need to go wheeling with some others to see what this baby can do.

Originally posted by L33T35T 4Runner
dont forget to sign up for pismo!