Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tailgate lock replaced now hatch window troubles Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate lock replaced now hatch window troubles Help!

Ok here is the situation and any and all help would be great and much appreciated. I recently purchased a 97 4Runner limited and after further inspection and I realized that the tailgate has been changed out. So I am unable to use the key I have to roll down window or open the hatch with a key. I purchased a pulled rea hatch lock and key from another 4runner and installed it today. When I hooked up the power the rear hatch window went down by itself and will not come back up. I tried using the key to make it come back up on the new lock but to no avail, I also tried the hatch switch on the console and it would do nothing. The only thing I can do is lock the door and unlock it. So my question is what am I doing wrong here? I replaced the old lock exactly as it was in there and all wiring is identical but yet the results are a rear window that comes down automatically and won't go back up. Any thoughts??
Old 02-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
more info please -you can bet we will try to help you out sir.

Will the rear hatch window control work inside the vehicle-the one on the dash?

Any rear wiper or rear defroster issue? Those are working fine?

no way you could have put the new lock in upside down is there? just thinking out loud not even sure this is possible....it's round probably not....

I believe there are differences between the model years for the tailgate ECU-brain unit. My initial guess is you got a 01 tailgate (for example) and your vehicle is a 97 so there is a slight mismatch....
Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Thanks Ron,
Yes it will work and did work fine before I changed the lock. The wiper and rear defrost are fine. Lock only goes in one way as it has a wing to bolt it in with 2 screws so it has to go in a specific way so the holes line up. Not sure on the ECU situation as I do not know what year the doner tailgate came from but the controls all worked from the inside of the vehicle off the switch on the console. What I had to do to get the window back up is to disconnect the wire clip coming out of the lock and then the inside the cab controls brought it all the way down and then back up so its kinda of a stumper to me. Maybe it is a ECU problem but the locking and unlocking mechanism do work I just did'nt have a key and thought well why not buy a new lock with a key so I can open it from the back rather then always having to get into the cab to open it. At any rate thats as much as I know for now so appreciate your help and again its much appraciated! Tman
Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 AM

Ok I got it fixed today. I just used the old wiring off the back of the lock and it works!! Thanks Ron for your help and I have to do more things, so I am sure I will be back. I have only had this machine for a couple months and love it so far! Always wanted one! Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sweet

glad I could help you talk it out and figure it out even though it sounds like my actual advice had nothing to do with anything....