Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma TRD windoww tint question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma TRD windoww tint question

All the other TRD's I've seen all have had all the window's tinted, I don't think they came from the factory that way, but did the dealers do this, or did most of the people who bought these do this? The reason why I am asking this, is because I don't like the tint on the windows, but I also want to keep it looking the way it is supposed to be.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 123c
All the other TRD's I've seen all have had all the window's tinted, I don't think they came from the factory that way, but did the dealers do this, or did most of the people who bought these do this? The reason why I am asking this, is because I don't like the tint on the windows, but I also want to keep it looking the way it is supposed to be.
Not to sound overly simplistic, but if it's your truck and you don't like the tint, then get it removed, or take it off yourself. Is there a specific reason you are concerned with keeping a "stock" TRD appearance?

<edit> Depending on the package your truck came with, it might be "privacy" glass, which is NOT tint, and cannot be removed, short of replacing the glass.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:37 PM

I know the front windows are window tint, the rear windows have tint too, but it looks like they are over something that is dark too, I might take a closer look at it later today. I think I might go ahead and try and take the tint off. I have a friend that can help me probally, he has taken tint off of several vehicles...
Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

I think the SR5's came with privacy glass, and it may have been an option in 98, I don't know. To my knowledge, I don't think that the trucks came from the factory with actual tint on them, that's why they offered the privacy glass. (Which, by the way, does NOT reduce UV transmission.)
Old 10-06-2006, 12:54 PM

My truck is an SR5
Old 10-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

It may still have tint on it, even with privacy glass. My 03 is a SR5 TRD, and it came with privacy glass, but I had tint put on it. (I live in the stinkin' hot desert, though... )
Old 10-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, if you have just aftermarket tint installed on your windows, it's a sinch to remove. I've removed it on several vehicles of mine before. (Mainly b/c the tint was extremely too dark and I wanted to redo it to a medium shade.) I've removed it in under an hour on a 4Runner that had all the windows tinted. Removing the glue from the windows is what took so long.

Just get a razor and cut the tint off. Don't worry about harming the privacy glass. That glass itself has been tinted from the factory instead of covered like aftermarket tint. Using glass cleaner w/ ammonia helps to remove the aftermarket tint too.

Just remember if you plan on keeping the tint or you redo it in the future, just don't use glass cleaner w/ ammonia to clean your tinted windows. Use a glass cleaner w/o ammonia so you will not damage your tint.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-06-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Here's a little tip for removing tint.
Spray glass down with amonia until it is wet. Apply a black trash bag to the wet tint and let it sit in the sun for about an hour or so. After it sits for about an hr, pull the trash bag off and it will take the tint with it.

Using this method, there should be very little clean-up afterwards.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by terryjmatthew
Here's a little tip for removing tint.
Spray glass down with amonia until it is wet. Apply a black trash bag to the wet tint and let it sit in the sun for about an hour or so. After it sits for about an hr, pull the trash bag off and it will take the tint with it.

Using this method, there should be very little clean-up afterwards.
So does this mean there won't be any adhesive to clean up either? That is the big thing I don't want to mess with.

The main reason why I want to take the tint off is because I have almost gotten into accidents with it at night because I can't see that well with it. It can be nice in the summer, but it is only hot enough for it maybe 3 months out of the year, but that is what AC is for.

I think after I get the new little clips that hold the plug wires to the coil pack (I broke them while trying to put some new NGK plug wires in), I will park it out in the sun and put and try the garbage bag trick.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:51 PM

i do this for a livin....

use a spray bottle with a few drops of baby shampoo or another non-harsh soap. Buy a bunch of razor blades, you will need em, they dull quick and slow ya down. peel the tint off and spray the glue(the key here is to keep it wet) if you use ammonia based cleaners on the glue, it turns slimy(comes off easier, but makes a mess)

For rear windows with defogger, peel off tint, soak with 409 or windex. use an SOS pad with no soap ( if u have the ones with the soap, rinse thoroughly as it can stain interior, believe me i know) scrup the heck out of it, use paper towels to wipe clean and you are done!!!

hope this will help!!
later

PS. be gentle on the factory privacy glass, we experienced minor scratching from the blades

Last edited by madtrixter; 10-06-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:41 AM

I am trying the garbage bag method as we speak on the front windows, my truck is parked right now where the sun is hitting it. If this doesn't work I will get the razor blades out and start scrapping. I don't think I will mess with the rear windows yet, I just want to get the front windows for now...
Old 10-07-2006, 11:51 AM

I got all the tint off, and it looks good, there is a few places with bits of adhesive, and I will get those spots at a later time. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, I have heard stories about people spending days getting tint off, but it took me a little over an hour, once I took the garbage bags off the windows...
Old 10-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Glad it worked for ya.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

the garbadge bag way is very common, works pretty well
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 AM

all the windows have factory tint but the doors