Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TACOMA dilema

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TACOMA dilema

Guys,
I have a prob and Im sure on this forum Im going to get alot of people telling me to go for the tacoma, but Im really at a struggle here to decide what is better for of road to get, tundra or tacoma? I feel that the tundra has more power, but seems to be soooo limited in what is available for it. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Coot
Old 12-21-2006, 07:00 PM

Oh yeah, Im thinking about getting a 2000-2003 tacoma or tundra.

Coot
Old 12-21-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coot
Oh yeah, Im thinking about getting a 2000-2003 tacoma or tundra.

Coot
Well, power, its Tundra. Wheeling around in tight areas, Tacoma. Now if you want Tundra power in a Tacoma, get an 05 or newer with the 4.0, about 250 HP!!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:07 PM

Woa, didnt know about that.......so does that have a v8? Can I still put a trd supercharger on that engine?

Coot
Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new 4.0L V6 tacomas cannot use the TRD charger as its for the 3.4L engine.

Honestly it all boils down to size and what you want. I prefer large trucks so I grabbed a t100 and it has plenty of power for me, a tacoma is smaller and a bit easier to wheel in tight areas vs the larger trucks. I honestly wish I had a V8 but the tundras are way to much and the tacomas are to small for me.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:25 PM

Would a 3.4 have more power than 4.0 if it was supercharged?

Coot
Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 PM

Woa, didnt know about that.......so does that have a v8? Can I still put a trd supercharger on that engine?

Coot
No, its a 4.0V6 in the 05 to current Tacoma. The 05 to current Tacoma is actually a little bigger than the 95-2004 generation. It has the same power as the Tundra V8, and there is no S/C for the 4.0. The 3.4 HP is closer to the 4.7 V8 when S'/C'd. Now if you want to wait some more, the Tundra will get a 5.7 V8, and the next generation Tacoma will get smaller again. Folks are complaining the Tacoma is getting away from the compact truck niche it was designed for. And there is supposed to be a diesel version of the new Tundra, one year after its launch date. The new Tundra will be soon, I suspect it mght be called a 2008 model year and built in the new San Antonio Plant in Texas. Rated for 10,000 lbs of towing and this is with the 1/2 ton! The diesel will be a HD unit, I think a 3/4 or 1 ton, will rival the F350 is size, weight and towing is what I was told by a factory employee. Dont expect the diesel before next year.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:43 PM

That does sound really sick, but man I need a new whip sooner than that. With that being said, I am liking the idea more of having a tacoma with a supercharger in it. With that being said, anyone selling a lifted tacoma, 2002?

Coot
Old 12-21-2006, 08:08 PM

i have an 03 taco trd, my buddy has an 06 tundra trd V8, yeah his tundra has more power, but the taco has better articulation-locker, and just plain spanks the tundra off road, both are 4-doors, the tundra is alot heavier, wider and longer, and the taco is cheaper and the 3.4 is easy to work on, i don't know about the 4.7, he even says he wishes he had his 01 taco back, but they needed more room, ubt he loves the power
Old 12-21-2006, 08:19 PM

Yeah man I hear ya, I think Im going to get a 2002 Tacoma with the 4 door setup. Thanks guys for all the help!

Coot
Old 12-21-2006, 08:37 PM

i had a 98' xtra cab v6 and loved it, but i like my 4 door better, just wish it was a stick
Old 12-21-2006, 08:38 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jjrgr21
i had a 98' xtra cab v6 and loved it, but i like my 4 door better, just wish it was a stick
I got an x-cab on my T100, I like it alot unless I try and load somethin..But what I do like is the fact no one wants to ride back there-therefore no passengers wanting to jump into my truck and I like it that way.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:01 AM

The 4.0 is no where near the same power as the 4.7, the V8 makes over 300 ft lbs of torque while the 4.0 is closer to 250, the difference is like 75. The HP may be similar but I'll take the torque anyday.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:22 AM

I am in love with my D-cab. Has all the power I need. I pull a 15' enclosed trailer (shifter-karts) with no problems. Although I do not go "off-roading". That is a job for my dirt bike.

Basically my truck is the toy hauler, family car.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
Dont expect the diesel before next year.
I wouldn't hold my breath about ever getting small trucks or SUV's from Toyota in Diesel in the US. You'll probably see a Hybrid Tacoma or 4Runner before a diesel.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your interest in the diesel powered vehicles. Unfortunately at this time Toyota does not offer any diesel powered vehicles in the US. We are an environmentally friendly company and will not be releasing diesel vehicles. Toyota does not recommend importing or exporting of vehicles in to the United States.

However, Toyota is fully immersed in the Hybrid race and will continue to make innovations and create vehicles that will operate using hybrid technology. Please visit www.toyota.com periodically for updates as information becomes available. We appreciate your feedback and comments.

We are committed to manufacturing vehicles with the most sophisticated and advanced technology that will help ensure high quality vehicles that has made Toyota a leader in the automotive industry. In the same respect, we are also developing technologies that will allow for more efficient and environmentally conscious powertrains.

Gregory Young
Toyota Customer Experience

Last edited by rearviewmirror; 12-22-2006 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah man I hear ya, I think Im going to get a 2002 Tacoma with the 4 door setup. Thanks guys for all the help!

Coot
Good choice...
Old 12-22-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I wouldn't hold my breath about ever getting small trucks or SUV's from Toyota in Diesel in the US. You'll probably see a Hybrid Tacoma or 4Runner before a diesel.
Well, my first bit of info was from Jim Price, CEO of Toyota North America. Basically the biggest cheese for Toyota in the US. Yes, I spoke to him personally. I continue to speak with the factory instructors and reps, they do in fact, have an EPA certified diesel engine which was done by their European division which is real big on clean diesels. The reply you got was more of a "canned" reply, in fact, its kinda generic almost. They usually dont release concrete info, there is a reason behind this. It can literally hinder sales right now. In the form of others waiting for the next model, bigger engine etc. Now true, its not a done deal till its done. But the diesel is very much in the works. In fact, I was told over and over it will be here one year after the launch date of the new Tundra. Which by the way is pretty close. I think its less than a month off. You wont hear much on this until the very last minute also.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

2005 4.0 V6 Tacoma > 98 3.4L supercharged 4Runner (without any additional mods).

But if you had the same supercharged engine in a Tacoma, it would be faster than the 4.0L V6 newer Tacoma.

Also, there is an S/C for the 4.0 from URD and TRD is possibly coming out with one themselves. They already have the intercooled prototype Tacoma.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
Well, my first bit of info was from Jim Price, CEO of Toyota North America. Basically the biggest cheese for Toyota in the US. Yes, I spoke to him personally. I continue to speak with the factory instructors and reps, they do in fact, have an EPA certified diesel engine which was done by their European division which is real big on clean diesels. The reply you got was more of a "canned" reply, in fact, its kinda generic almost. They usually dont release concrete info, there is a reason behind this. It can literally hinder sales right now. In the form of others waiting for the next model, bigger engine etc. Now true, its not a done deal till its done. But the diesel is very much in the works. In fact, I was told over and over it will be here one year after the launch date of the new Tundra. Which by the way is pretty close. I think its less than a month off. You wont hear much on this until the very last minute also.
Would they secretly tell me what's going to be available if I tell them there is absolutely nothing that will replace my 4Runner other than a diesel Toyota?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Would they secretly tell me what's going to be available if I tell them there is absolutely nothing that will replace my 4Runner other than a diesel Toyota?
Hey, if enough of us write to them, they can easily change their minds. I know Toyota does plan on having a hybrid for every model. Now imagine a diesel hybrid, even better! I dont think a diesel will show up in any of the small trucks. Only the full sized Tundra. But enough folks ask for it...

Quick Reply: TACOMA dilema